Max EV Driving Range?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHEVclub

Having owned the car for 4 days the EV driving range has been increasing everyday after every charge. It's now up to 38 Miles. What's the maximum others have seen this go up to?

file.php

I wonder if your mechanical resistance is gradually reducing as you "run the car in". The changes really only should be extremely small unless you had an very "tight" car to start with.

That's interesting as having had my car for 5 days I am getting really low maximum distances for the EV mode, only 23/24miles. Spoken to the dealer who said that he had a couple of other customers with a similar issue - maybe bad batteries? At the moment its frustrating and losing 10 miles off that range in the first 2 miles, so something doesn't seem to be right...

I will keep an eye, but I hope its not sign of a stressful ownership run...

BYM said:
That's interesting as having had my car for 5 days I am getting really low maximum distances for the EV mode, only 23/24miles. Spoken to the dealer who said that he had a couple of other customers with a similar issue - maybe bad batteries? At the moment its frustrating and losing 10 miles off that range in the first 2 miles, so something doesn't seem to be right...

Hi,
Is that with A/C on? If so, turn it off and you'll see the estimated range increase. A/C typically reduces the estimated range with a full battery by a few miles.
Kind regards,
Mark

Yes that is with the a/c on, but us still pretty strange dropping 10 miles so quickly; it's effectively halving the EV range. Surely that cannot be right ?

BYM said:
Yes that is with the a/c on, but us still pretty strange dropping 10 miles so quickly; it's effectively halving the EV range. Surely that cannot be right ?
Hi,
You can turn the comprssor off by pressing the icicle button while still leaving the fan on if not too warm.
The estimated EV range is exactly that, just an estimate. It pays far too much attention to the last couple of miles you have travelled and uses that to estimate the remaining range.
I'm guessing that when you start your journey you may either be gently climbing or driving reasonably quickly, say over 40mph. Both these kind of things will cause the estimated range to drop quickly.
In practice, in urban driving (i.e. upto about 40mph), expect anywhere between 24 miles and 30 miles actual distance depending on driving style and if the A/C (or at some point the heater) are on.
A better guide to remaining charge is just to look at the actual battery gauge. If about 50% charge then expect about 12-13 miles left whatever the EV estimate says.
Kind regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark, appreciate your feedback. I will just have to have less a/c and see how that improves the range.

BYM said:

If it is the AC then remember it is calculating over the whole distance - so would calculate the AC being on for the whole trip as well.

As for the battery :-
my understanding was the batteries are in 10 single cells. It could be a case you have a faulty cell - so could easily (well easier) to replace a single cell than the whole battery.

Just being curious - what model do you have? Just wondering if there is any difference in range between models - higher model runs more things like wifi, heated seats, etc.

This morning with the A/c disabled it was a completely different story. The range estimator was showing 36; assume that this was as a result of turning off the A/c on my return journey yesterday. But as outlined yesterday it is the battery indicator that it really important and this reduced slowly and steadily on my journey, so I estimate I will be getting around 30 miles of motoring on the full charge - pretty much what is published.

That said I think it pretty poor that the A/c hammers the range so much; I think that this should be made clearer by Mitsubishi in the brochures as its a major flaw in my view.

Otherwise, I love the thing! having had a Lexus CT before, there's much better space and the 4x4 is a good comfort factor and the DAB radio a boon!

By the way I have a Black GX4Hs with protection pack and front/rear parking sensors. :)

BYM said:
This morning with the A/c disabled it was a completely different story. The range estimator was showing 36; assume that this was as a result of turning off the A/c on my return journey yesterday. But as outlined yesterday it is the battery indicator that it really important and this reduced slowly and steadily on my journey, so I estimate I will be getting around 30 miles of motoring on the full charge - pretty much what is published.

That said I think it pretty poor that the A/c hammers the range so much; I think that this should be made clearer by Mitsubishi in the brochures as its a major flaw in my view.

Otherwise, I love the thing! having had a Lexus CT before, there's much better space and the 4x4 is a good comfort factor and the DAB radio a boon!

By the way I have a Black GX4Hs with protection pack and front/rear parking sensors. :)

Any useful aircon sucks a lot of power. On our old Landcruiser with a big 4 litre turbo charged engine, turning on the aircon pushes up the fuel consumption by several miles per gallon.

maby said:
BYM said:

Any useful aircon sucks a lot of power. On our old Landcruiser with a big 4 litre turbo charged engine, turning on the aircon pushes up the fuel consumption by several miles per gallon.
Hi,
I would argue a little with that. Toyota's electric A/C on their Prius is very frugal with its power use. The EV estimated EV range on the plug-in dropped from about 12 miles to about 11 miles with it on and I noticed no appreciable drop in range. But then, Toyota have had almost two decades to fine tune it.
Kind regards,
Mark

A business colleague of mine has an identical car bought at the same time. I am going to ask him to run a similar exercise and see what results he gets. Maybe mine is a bit of a rogue in A/c mode.

The EV range needs to be based on the remaining Ah in the battery and the present EV power and the present speed. A small amount of digital filtering may be required to tame the fluctuations caused by the road conditions. This type of calculation should be a walk in the park for any half decent programmer. I to am really disappointed that the engineers have resorted to such a crude way of estimating the EV range. I personally would prefer to have 3 values displayed, like EV range, petrol range and total range. I hope the Mitsubishi engineers read these forums.

avensys said:
maby said:
BYM said:

Hi,
I would argue a little with that. Toyota's electric A/C on their Prius is very frugal with its power use. The EV estimated EV range on the plug-in dropped from about 12 miles to about 11 miles with it on and I noticed no appreciable drop in range. But then, Toyota have had almost two decades to fine tune it.
Kind regards,
Mark

May be the case on the plug-in Prius - the AC on our regular Prius would suck the battery down into the red within a few minutes on a hot day and have it bouncing along between red and middle.

avensys said:
maby said:
BYM said:

Hi,
Kind regards,
Mark

As has been stated before elsewhere in this forum, you can't beat the laws of physics. On any ordinary car the A/C uses a lot of power because either cooling or heating air, especially in an uninsulated tin box in a "wind tunnel"! Sit in any ordinary car at tick over and turn on the A/C - you get an immediate drop in engine speed as power is sucked away.

Surely part of the issue is that the Prius and PHEV work differently with the former having little pure EV range, so the calculations are likely to include use of the ICE. You're not really comparing like for like. In fact, it might be that Toyota have had 2 decades to learn how to flatter their customers. ;)

I recently ordered an Outlander Phev GX3h in metallic black and have been told it will be here end of October. Amazing how it changed from early October to end October the day after I paid the deposit.

Have been interested in seeing fuel consumption figures and will be interested in seeing how it performs. Currently have a Toyota Yaris 1.4 DiD that gives me 65-70 MPG on average (UK).

I have a 120 mile round trip commute via the M25 whereas with the Phev will be able to go cross London at 32 miles as I don't have to concern myself with the congestion charge which I do with the Yaris and at £14 that's a lot of additional cost. I expect I will be doing one way cross London (6am start) and the return via the M25 though I will test a cross London return to see how it works. Next year the office is putting in charge points so I'm hoping that at least 60% of my trip will be EV power and therefore will get more than the 65-70 MPG I get out of the Yaris.

That's for 3-4 days a week the rest should all be on EV power as nothing more than small trips around town for shopping, visiting people etc.

As an aside for those trying to run it as a pure electric vehicle just remember that fuel can get contaminated if it sits in the tank for too long. Recently had this with the mother-in-laws Aygo that cost £100's to repair.

Ozukus said:
As an aside for those trying to run it as a pure electric vehicle just remember that fuel can get contaminated if it sits in the tank for too long. Recently had this with the mother-in-laws Aygo that cost £100's to repair.
This should be no problem. If 20 litres of fuel isn't added over 6 months then it effectively runs in battery save mode, running the ICE until 20 litres is added.
Kind regards
Mark

avensys said:
Ozukus said:
This should be no problem. If 20 litres of fuel isn't added over 6 months then it effectively runs in battery save mode, running the ICE until 20 litres is added.
Kind regards
Mark
Are we certain about this? My reading of the manual is that this is not automatic. Page 2-13 says, amongst other things, 'refuel 20 litres or more of fuel every 6 months....If refueling of the above amount is not possible......consult a Mitsubishi motors authorised service point.' IIRC there is something later in the manual (can't find it now!) which implies what you say is true, but I don't think it is clear. Does it really have a sensor which can accurately monitor how much fuel is put in over the previous 6 months??

The PHEV fuel gauge appears to be quite linear, and I suspect that the computer keeps a running record of the max value of the gauge and the date this occurred. The monitoring of the fuel used and the date when a minimum occurred. keeping track of a 20L difference and the time difference should be a doddle.

Back