Meadowhall Charging Facility - 2nd August 2014

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 258

Hi,

Let me say

1) I've NEVER seen ANY PHEV on the roads and

2) I've NEVER seen ANY car use their charge facility (except their Wizzy)

Then today, well if the picture works, mine is the one on the right ...

Kind regards,
Mark

Nice one! I didn't even know that Meadowhell had this area. I look forward to using it when I get dragged around Xmas shopping in November!

Forgot to ask - is it free and do you have to take your own charging cable, if so, which sort does it accept?

Tristar500 said:
Nice one! I didn't even know that Meadowhell had this area. I look forward to using it when I get dragged around Xmas shopping in November!

Forgot to ask - is it free and do you have to take your own charging cable, if so, which sort does it accept?

I think it is shown under the charging points listed on the PHEV. It is a little hard to find the first time at Meadowhall but it is like having your own priovate parking facility :) especially when it is packed at Xmas (used it for the last 18 months with my Plug-in Prius).

No charge to charge, you need your own cable, and it is just a standard 13A 3pin mains socket.

Kind regards,
Mark

So the cable that comes with the PHEV will work then?

I would settle for 5-6 hours at Meadowhall, our Xmas 'Let's Do It All In A Day' marathons have been known to last the full 12 hours - breakfast, lunch and dinner included!

Tristar500 said:
So the cable that comes with the PHEV will work then?

I would settle for 5-6 hours at Meadowhall, our Xmas 'Let's Do It All In A Day' marathons have been known to last the full 12 hours - breakfast, lunch and dinner included!

Yes, the supplied cable will work.

Hypermiler said:
Ah, so stuck there charging at meadowhell for 5 to 6 hours - lovely!
H
I wouldn't go that far but if you have to be at Meadowhall then you may as well charge up while you are there :) Free electricity and your own private (and secure since it is behind a barrier that needs access requesting for) helps make the experience more pleasant.
Kind regards,
Mark

Awaiting delivery in mid to late September for my GX4. Interested to see that you use the charging cable supplied with the car, is there not a possibility of this being stolen? Also could this be the case with the type 2 cable and at around £200 wouldn't want to lose it. One of things I have also noticed is the flap of the charger point on the car sticks out a fair way when open, has this caused any one a problem?
Cheers
Peter

Sorry I should have said a type 3 cable, type 2 I see now is the one with the 13amp plug.
Out of interest what is the type 1 ?

Peter said:
Awaiting delivery in mid to late September for my GX4. Interested to see that you use the charging cable supplied with the car, is there not a possibility of this being stolen? Also could this be the case with the type 2 cable and at around £200 wouldn't want to lose it.
The supplied cable (and most but not all) third party type 2 cables have a small hole on the trigger that connects to the car. Once a small padlock is inserted it stops the trigger being pressed so the cable can't be released until the padlock is removed.
Peter said:
One of things I have also noticed is the flap of the charger point on the car sticks out a fair way when open, has this caused any one a problem?
Cheers
Peter
Not me ...

Kind regards,
Mark

Peter said:
Sorry I should have said a type 3 cable, type 2 I see now is the one with the 13amp plug.
Out of interest what is the type 1 ?
The whole cable 'type' thing is quite complicated. The PHEV has a type 1 socket on the left (in the UK anyway), this is also known as J1772. Most public chargers have a type 2 socket (also known as Mennekes). So for most public charging you will need a 'type 2 to type 1' cable. This is quite different from a normal 13 amp plug\lead which comes with the car. Also the socket on the right is a CHAdeMO socket, which is different again. This is used at 'rapid' chargers (e.g. Ecotricity or IKEA) which has a tethered lead so you don't need a cable.

Peter said:
One of things I have also noticed is the flap of the charger point on the car sticks out a fair way when open, has this caused any one a problem?
Cheers
Peter

Yes - I read somewhere in this forum that a owner had found the flap bent back - presumably by someone walking past the car. Fortunately. they reported that it looked worse than it was, as it had popped out of the hinge rather than being actually bent, and so popped back into place. :)

Peter said:
Awaiting delivery in mid to late September for my GX4. Interested to see that you use the charging cable supplied with the car, is there not a possibility of this being stolen? Also could this be the case with the type 2 cable and at around £200 wouldn't want to lose it. One of things I have also noticed is the flap of the charger point on the car sticks out a fair way when open, has this caused any one a problem?
Cheers
Peter
Park with one wheel on the cable.
If you charge at a proper charging facility the type 2 cable ( not the one with the charger box but the one with the Mennekes plug) will lock into the charging outlet.
If you visit the Continent you will need the type 2! As all public charging points connect that way. The charger-box regular plug cable is meant for "private" use. My car came with both cables supplied.

I have a small chain link which I loop around the wheel spokes and secure my untethered cable to it. I'll take a picture at some point and post it here.

We are hopefully picking up our car on Friday, and I can't wait.

We live just north of Sheffield, so do use Meadowhall once in a while. I know where the charging points are, and will end up using them.

There is mention of a security barrier, that you need to have opened. Do we need to register with Meadowhall, or just speak to someone via a caller unit at the barrier?

Back