Mechanical problem

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that the Mitsubishi warranty probably includes clauses about not using second hand parts.

I have just posted on Mitsu UK's Facebook page: "My new PHEV has been off the road for more than 3 weeks now waiting for spare parts from Japan. It is ludicrous that a model that has sold in the 1000's in the UK has no "just in time" parts delivery in place. To add insult to injury, the car leaked oil all over my recently block-paved driveway. This is my first Mitsubishi and I am not impressed!"

If you have Facebook or Twitter why not post your comments? Let Mitsu know you are not happy.

Just had email to say 2nd part was delivered to dealer today. I doubt that had anything to do with my FB posting. There was no response to my criticism of their parts strategy. Let's hope they sort this out for everyone's sake.

Have just had a similar "coincidence" resolution. The day after phoning and registering a complaint with Mitsubishi UK the part unexpected arrived at the dealers that morning. Like you I just put this down to a fluke but maybe it does pay to complain rather than leave it with the dealer!

Car fixed same day and collected all the day after being told the part wouldn't arrive for another month!

There's no harm in letting Mitsu UK know that their customers will start complaining if they don't support the dealers with an adequate parts delivery process. It is quite common for a mechanic to discover that extra parts are needed once they start the work. I was a Volvo driver for many years and they seemed to be able to source parts the same/next day with no trouble. If every part takes at least a week to arrive then any repair job is going to keep cars off the road for a long time. Dealers won't be happy to have half-dismantled vehicles hanging around their workshops either.

Finally got my car back today after 3 and a half weeks. Confirmed by the service agent as a manufacturing fault. The rear axle electric motor fits into the transfer box (differential) with an oil seal between them. If the seal is not properly lubricated before insertion it can split. Given that there have been other reports of the same issue this may be a problem in the factory assembly process.

What is worrying is that there is no oil level checking of these components in the car's system. My car is always parked in the same place on my drive but if it had been parked on a different surface, or in different places on the road each night, then I might not have noticed the leak for a long time. Obviously, the motor or differential could have been damaged if the leak had continued. Not sure if there is a fire risk if an electric motor is run when it isn't properly lubricated but maybe this is something Mitsu should look at urgently.

I recommend regular checking for leaks under the axles and that you mention this problem when you have a service to make sure the seals are checked.

I have also been in contact with Mitsu UK to suggest they improve their spare parts delivery. It is unacceptable to have to wait over a week for each spare part. The dealers won't be too happy either if their customers are kept waiting for repairs.

Here is the response I got from Mitsu UK. Judge for yourselves how seriously they take it....

"Dear Mr Gilyead

Thank you for your e-mail.

Firstly I am pleased to read that you now have your vehicle back.

Please accept my apologies for not replying to your comments on parts availability.

With regards to these comments we currently supply over 97% of demand from stock held here at Cirencester, with parts outstanding sourced from both Japan and Holland, It is inevitable, however, that on occasions there will be a nil stock availability, if a part is what we call a 'special order part' which means either no previous demand or very little demand then this has to be specially ordered from the factory and in some cases there can be an extended lead time, if a special order part then starts to get a sales demand it is changed to a stock item which we would keep in stock for next day delivery to our dealer network.

With regards to the oil level checking of these components I will forward this onto our Technical department for feedback for them to pass onto the factory so they may be aware of any future issues like this one.

I trust this information is of assistance and I would like to thank you for your feedback.

If you have any future concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
Simon

Mitsubishi Motors in the UK"

Back