Mirror phone screen via RCA on MMCS while vehicle in motion

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1984

Hi guys,

First post!! I am about to get the Outlander PHEV on lease as part of my new job. I've taken a good look into MMCS and natively you cannot mirror your phone's screen to the MMCS-unit. So I need some help from you guys to figure out if there is a way...

With some trickery, you can have an android phone mirror it's screen via USB to HDMI (using an MHL-adapter), and then have the HDMI signal transformed to RCA Red, White and Yellow via something like this http://img.banggood.com/thumb/view/upload/SKU051036/20121207140713393.JPG. So for the purpose of this question, let's assume this works.

Now the question arises if it is possible to connect this RCA signal to a video input on MMCS. In the tray between the front seats (where the usb-input is), something like this http://i34.tinypic.com/r0ulpc.jpg should be installed. Does anyone know if this can be succesfully connected to the PHEV's MMCS? Anyone got the pin wiring layout of the PHEV's MMCS? I know that if it can be connected to MMCS, it will automatically generate an AUX option in the input menu.

Something to also consider is that MMCS may be programmed in such a way that the external video signal is shut down when the car is in motion. Anyone know if this is the case with the PHEV?

Hope you can help!!

I'm certainly not aware of any functionality to display video on the MMCS - apart from the reversing camera - and that is pretty poor resolution even if you could find a way to get the video from your phone in and force it to be displayed while you are moving forwards. There is no video entertainments function publicised for the MMCS.

In the hidden menus there's something titled Video...something. Alway wondered what that was.
If I'm not mistaken I read on this forum that someone had taken the mmcs out and there was a un-used video connection on the back.

kljasdfbkjaaalke said:
In the hidden menus there's something titled Video...something. Alway wondered what that was.
If I'm not mistaken I read on this forum that someone had taken the mmcs out and there was a un-used video connection on the back.

That's right. If you check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnsmrfLmHK0 you will see this Video option under the 'network / connect line check' button.

Unfortunately, there is no simple video IN-connector at the back of the MMCS. This should somehow be wired manually to the correct pin-numbers of the standard wiring connectors.

jaapv said:
I think the easiest way is to replace it with an aftermarket system.

True, but is also a lot more expensive. And stuff like the android app for controlling the heater probably won't work anymore if MMCS is taken out. So if MMCS can do it somehow, I'd prefer that by far.

Well, as long as there is AV-input you can show anything you'd like.

A friend installed his NES in his older BMW. The internal screen didn't have AV connectors ready, but the solder points were clearly visible so he added them himself. Now he simply selects the TV input in menues and passengers can play some good old games while driving. Sounds comes out of the door speakers.

Video here http://youtu.be/rjjjbIbOjLA

jaapv said:
Reports on the Dutch forum suggest the Pioneer replacement works flawlessly.

I have not read the forum mentioned, by are you saying that full functionality of the MMCS is maintained with the pioneer unit?? If this is so, then all the data is streamed by the car to only be displayed on the LCD. MMCS is just a dumb display unit with some buttons??

jaapv said:

I'd be interested to find out more about this - does the energy flow diagrams etc still come through? Which Pioneer unit is it?

Thanks

Andy123 said:
jaapv said:

I'd be interested to find out more about this - does the energy flow diagrams etc still come through? Which Pioneer unit is it?

Thanks

http://www.outlanderphevforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3548&start=25&hilit=pioneer (learn Dutch first)

In short and AFAIK: You will lose the specific PHEV-functions, but get 100% iPhone functionality in return.

gwatpe said:
jaapv said:

I have not read the forum mentioned, by are you saying that full functionality of the MMCS is maintained with the pioneer unit?? If this is so, then all the data is streamed by the car to only be displayed on the LCD. MMCS is just a dumb display unit with some buttons??
Definitely not the case. You loose:
- ability to set timers
- view energy flow
- view charging cost
- set particular vehicle parameters
- etc., etc.

The App still works.

Some people got annoyed by the fact that Mitsubishi has not yet solved the iOS 8 bug or had other problems with their phones. Not being happy, they switched to a Pioneer head unit, giving up the above listed items.

Back