Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Battery Flaw Found

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobMarin

It seems like Mitsubishi found the problem behind Outlanders production stoppage

Production of the plug-in hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander stopped last month and now the brand says it knows what caused the crossover’s batteries to overheat.

Mitsubishi says microscopic contaminants got into the battery cells during a screening process added to its supplier’s manufacturing process in December, 2012. At a point in the screening process, the part of the battery’s internal shape was altered and the battery cells were exposed to excessive force, which generated the contaminants.

Same battery manufacturer used in the grounding of the Boeing 787 fleet.

I imagine those guys are feeling the heat lately for quality control, or they'll face serious loss of sales.

ActionableMango said:

I imagine those guys are feeling the heat lately for quality control, or they'll face serious loss of sales.

Yeah, I read about that. Some Japanese manufacturer apparently, that Elon Musk was warning about when they tried selling the batteries to him. I can't believe that a company like Boeing took them on the deal with all those red flags and prices that are well below market value.

BobMarin said:
ActionableMango said:

Yeah, I read about that. Some Japanese manufacturer apparently, that Elon Musk was warning about when they tried selling the batteries to him. I can't believe that a company like Boeing took them on the deal with all those red flags and prices that are well below market value.

How could he knew that contaminants were going to be an issue?

Either Mitsubishi is covering up the real issue or they got duped by the Japanese agin...

Or I'm in a conspiratorial mood

I guess the flaw is being modified quickly and they will start the production of the batteries of Outlander PHEV soon.

Doest the it have a thermal management? Leaf doesn't has it. Miev has a on board A/C unit.

http://insideevs.com/expert-what-you-know-about-lithium-batteries-is-wrong-can-last-up-to-20-years/

camiev said:
Doest the it have a thermal management? Leaf doesn't has it. Miev has a on board A/C unit.

http://insideevs.com/expert-what-you-know-about-lithium-batteries-is-wrong-can-last-up-to-20-years/

Yes, it has a TMS.

Actually, everything depends on a great number of factors as temperature, charging techniques, state of charge and management system. Nonetheless, there are some flaws in Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV batteries. In any case the pitfalls should be found ASAP.

Back