MPG Calculation...??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldfinger

On these hybrids, just HOW do work out the MPG??

I'd like to know how to, but when trying to factor in electric usage, it's getting complicated..... :oops:

It's also to know if she's getting the best out of the car... :roll:

Decide upon what you want to know:
- Cost per mile
- kWh per mile
- CO2 exhaust at tailpipe per mile

Than it should be fairly easy knowing prices for gas and electricity and amount of energy per liter of fuel and such.

record the total distance travelled between fill-ups.

also record the cost of the fill-up and the price per gallon paid.

calculate the total cost of electricity consumed by charging (easy on a GX4h which displays it - harder on a GX3h).

Add the cost of the petrol and electricity to get a total energy cost and divide by the price per gallon to get an effective volume of petrol consumed.

divide total distance travelled by the effective number of gallons to get effective mpg.

Well from my fuel card records I could divide my fuel spend over the last 6000 miles and got about 45mpg in petrol use. From memory add in 900 kwh from my separate electricity meter for charging at about 10p a unit and that adds 1.5p per mile on average.

I was actually pleasantly surprised. Due to the small tank it does seem your always paying out (I filled up 3 days in a row this week) but its not £65 of Diesel each time so just feels worse than it is.

BobEngineer said:
but its not £65 of Diesel each time
Aahhh, I remember those days well (only two months ago really!).

Petrol is relatively cheap nowadays, thanks to the Western powers wanting to punish the Russians.
But that 'aint gonna last, however, and that's when my daily commute will begin to get even cheaper when compared to the majority of oil-burning transportation. ;)

Goldfinger said:
On these hybrids, just HOW do work out the MPG??

I'd like to know how to, but when trying to factor in electric usage, it's getting complicated..... :oops:

It's also to know if she's getting the best out of the car... :roll:

Well, there is no simple formula, and it depends on the length of your typical trip. For longer trips the fuels consumption is really like a regular car (perhaps 40 MPG/ 6 liter per 100 km or worse), and you have to read here what people get. For trips shorter than that it will decrease gradually to 0. For trips less than 30 miles/50 km it is perhaps 0. For a 60 miles trip it might be 80 MPG, theoretically.

Back