MPG read out on economy screen

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from Sherborne,
Started in full hybrid mode as no charge capability in Sherborne.
Reached home (87mile round trip) with 58% driven on EV. trip MPG 33.7
Overall MPG dropped from the 80 I achieved on arrival at Sherborne to 44.7
Drove around Poole next day on hybrid to get an idea of urban MPG. turned out to be 36.5.
About the same MPG as my 1.2 DSG Yeti round town.
I reckon that taken overall. Outlander wins because of zero RFL. Otherwise running costs would be almost identical.
BUT!! Outlander more fun to drive and When I planted right foot in the carpet on the A35 at 65MPH (running on hybrid) Torque came in at full chat immediately and went on up to NMH (naughty miles an hour) well, 75max, then dropped back to 70 just to overtake someone, but having been stopped by a very nice young (unmarked BMW estate) constable for a chat, 3 points & £100 fine last March I was not going to try for any more points.
Overall. Very chuffed with the Outlander.
If anyone from Mitsubishi is reading this....things I would like to have altered.
1. Ability to lock screen to the one I want, not have to trawl through all the garbage every time I set off.
2. High beam headlights are pathetic especially for HID. Low beam spread is excellent. For such an electronically advanced car the headlights are a complete joke! Good job I'm not allowed out after dark that often! :D
Take a lesson from Skoda HID lights, Mitsubishi are centuries behind!
3. Illuminate and mark drivers window switches, I keep on opening/closing the wrong one at night.
4. Cut the crap out of the handbook, get a decent index so your customers can actually find the bit they are looking for and remove all the inane warnings, danger blah blah blah. Keep the important ones by all means.
But some of them only a 3 year old would need to be warned about. If an adult needed to be warned I don't think they should be allowed out on their own, specially in a 2 ton car!

Carnut said:
1. Ability to lock screen to the one I want, not have to trawl through all the garbage every time I set off.
2. High beam headlights are pathetic especially for HID. Low beam spread is excellent. For such an electronically advanced car the headlights are a complete joke! Good job I'm not allowed out after dark that often! :D
Take a lesson from Skoda HID lights, Mitsubishi are centuries behind!
3. Illuminate and mark drivers window switches, I keep on opening/closing the wrong one at night.

1. TOTALLY agree with that one - even an easy "off" function so as to avoid the map! My last Nissan, you could press and hold the day/night button and it turned everything off and put a clock on screen. Tried it on the PHEV . . . nothing. Would be easy to do as a software update - pleeeease Mitsubishi?

2. Agree, I have changed my High Beam for Osrams - noticable difference

3. Yes, please. I would do it myself, small shielded downward pointing LED on the panel, but I haven't got the incentive to take the door panel off (yet . . . !)

Jeff

Carnut said:
Jeff,
Headlights. I believe the 2015 has HID LIGHTS. Does yours?
Details of Osrams much appreciated.
Thanks
Colin

It is only the low beam that are HIDs - I don't think they are permitted for high beams, are they?

Carnut said:
Back from Sherborne,

Hi Carnut. Am expecting delivery of my PHEV within a couple of weeks, and am interested in the mpg figures you posted.
I interpret 58% EV for 87 mile trip as approx 50 miles EV (0.58x87)....the best I've heard of is approx 30 miles so it seems a figure is wrong? (Or was it a 174 mile round trip?)
Further confusion: 80mpg at Sherborne (after 43.5miles?) seems reasonable but trip mpg of 33.7 (after 87 miles?) seems rather low. But then you say 44.7mpg overall which does seem reasonable (or is this over a longer period of use rather than the Sherborne round trip?).
Hope the PHEV mpg display is not going to be too confusing!

Carnut said:
Jeff,
Headlights. I believe the 2015 has HID LIGHTS. Does yours?
Details of Osrams much appreciated.
Thanks
Colin

Hi Colin,

The dipped are HID, I changed the standard high beam bulbs for Osram Night Breakers which give 100 percent more light on the road. They burn brighter, and have a shorter life, but the last ones I used, I never had a failure in 3 years. Simple to change, straight swap with standard bulbs, took 10 minutes.

Don't know why they didn't have HID high beams, a Citroën I had used them for dip and main.

Jeff

Graham,
Don't forget that when running on hybrid as I was on the return trip that you are not permanently on ICE. It stops and starts putting a bit of juice into the battery as does the regenerative braking. Hence the apparently high mileage which is a mixture of pure EV +abit of petrol & a bit more electricity.
80 mpg after 40 miles was because (only) 15 miles was pure battery. The consumption is an EQUIVALENT OVER THE WHOLE TRIP. In this case 15 miles leccy+25 miles hybrid.
The 33mpg was on the TRIP odometer. For the return trip only. Because of the hybrid use on return, that dropped the OVERALL odometer from 80 to 44.
The 36mpg on the next day was on the TRIP ODOMETER.
Bear in mind trip odo resets to _ _._ 4 hours after switch off. Overall odo keeps calculating until YOU reset it.
Hope all now a bit clearer. It took me over a week to disvover all the screens available. I strongly suggest you ask your dealer for a FULL demo when you pick it up. The hand book is too thick, or else I am!!!

GrahamRC said:
Carnut said:
Back from Sherborne,

Hi Carnut. Am expecting delivery of my PHEV within a couple of weeks, and am interested in the mpg figures you posted.
I interpret 58% EV for 87 mile trip as approx 50 miles EV (0.58x87)....the best I've heard of is approx 30 miles so it seems a figure is wrong? (Or was it a 174 mile round trip?)
Further confusion: 80mpg at Sherborne (after 43.5miles?) seems reasonable but trip mpg of 33.7 (after 87 miles?) seems rather low. But then you say 44.7mpg overall which does seem reasonable (or is this over a longer period of use rather than the Sherborne round trip?).
Hope the PHEV mpg display is not going to be too confusing!

Back