My Outlander experiences, towing, camping, fuel use ect.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudmuncher

I have had my outlander for about 10 months so i thought I would write a few things that I have noticed and done with my car!

First off, I love it! Most of my use around town is full electric ( I charge at around 15 cents per KW AUD) and then a lot of my longer trips are almost full ICE (AUD 1.29 a litre) So at these prices I get approx. 45km of driving at $1.50 (elec) and $4.35 (ULP). Electricity is gone pretty quickly at 100km/h speeds and ULP is king here.

300km at 100-110km/h trip with 150-200kg of gear and driver I get 7-7.5L per 100km (using the battery through towns)

Same trip towing a small 6x4 (300kg total) trailer increases this too around 8-8.5L per 100km

Towing a pop up camper trailer for 250km just under the 1500kg weight limit saw the fuel rate climb to 13L per 100km. Also even with the charge button on all the time the battery will deplete throughout the trip, so much that I thought I may have to pull over at the end of my trip and recharge to tackle a steep hill at the end.

When camping I use leave the car on READY mode and Use it to charge a smaller remote battery for keeping the camp running (fridge, lights, a fan ect). This actually depletes the battery over a weekend even if not using all the power for the camp, aka the car uses a fair bit of the battery when idle.

You can sleep 2 adults (I am 6'2" pr 188cm) in the back no problems (can even run the heater if need be).

I have charged it a few times off a stand alone solar system using the 10amp (really 6.5amp) plug for true free fuel motoring! It is the perfect electric car for stand alone systems as can still use ULP in the those few days of winter with no sun.

I drive everywhere with B5 and most of the time just use the one pedal at different levels to slow down and speed up.

CONS:

Like stated 100 times before the Sat nav is rubbish, so much that I use google maps on the phone more often.

The 4wd ability is a bit lackluster, even on greasy forest trails (comes down a lot to the tyres).

The automatic tail gate that my model has stops the door going all the way up making it just low enough for me to hit my head! If it wasn't there, would have full range of motion.

Driving other automatic cars is hard to get used to them no slowing down when lifting your foot and wasting energy on actual friction braking :p.

WANT:

A bigger battery pack to get the full 120kw out of both motors which would double the range and the electric power and give the car a full 200 plus kw!

TIPS:

Not sure if this would work as it is summer here.

In winter set your charge timer to come start at say 3am not 11pm. That way if you leave for work at 7:30am your batteries would just be finished. This will give 3 "possible" advantages 1. the batteries might be warmer giving you better range. 2. lithium batteries are at there highest voltage fresh of the charger they will drop a couple of points soon after. 3. The least time your batteries are at full charge the longer they will last (very small difference though)

Nice balanced review. What tyre pressure were you running for the fuel economy tests, and did you keep this pressure when doing the 4wd tracks (eg 4wd at 38psi is not going to help with traction)?

mudmuncher said:
When camping I use leave the car on READY mode and Use it to charge a smaller remote battery for keeping the camp running (fridge, lights, a fan ect). This actually depletes the battery over a weekend even if not using all the power for the camp, aka the car uses a fair bit of the battery when idle.

Yes, draw in READY is about 310W as recorded by EvBatMon (use PID "Power Out"), which adds to 7.44kWh over 24 hours, ouch! You could probably cycle the car on/off based on the SOC of the remote battery to reduce this burden?

The Tyres are always in the 36-39psi range.

No i didn't air down for the dirt roads, it was places that 2wd's could probably get to. I just noticed it was a bit slippery and know the limitations as a "soft roader" compared to my old hard core 4wd. I wouldn't take the PHEV too far with no winch, no tyres, no spare and no support car.

Wow, 310w/h is alot. Did seem to be a little less then that though. My small battery was 120w/h might increase this to double and charge it off the car twice a day instead, minimizing the READY time. I am just annoyed we never got the 1500w AC outlet :(.

Back