New owner, marginally regretting it.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlongdon

HI all,

Been lurking a while, and appreciate ALL your comments. This is a many-times-a-day site for me to visit.

Got my 4hs delivered this morning. It's 'alright'. Not as comfortable or as clear a riding position as the 6yo Freelander 2 it replaces, but it's ok.

I can live with it, so long as I can resolve the following - which no manual or youtube video seems to address. So any help is welcome, and in return I promise to continue to post as I gradually come to love this car.

FIRST: How can I get it not to initiate the sat nav on start up? I use WAZE on an ipad, so I basically just want the radio. I genuinely can't find in the manual how to leave the MMCS displaying what it was when I turned it off.

SECOND: Reversing camera (*I've posted a similar, albeit unique, point elsewhere. Soz.) Hate it. I reversed into a bollard today, at 10 miles on the clock, because the camera showed it further away, and the green and red lines seemed to mean nothing. I tried again, with the red line half-way up the bollard, got out, and I was a good 50cm away. I'm used to beeps, and may have to go for an ugly stick-on beep/sensor alternative as the cam makes no sense. Likewise, lots of googling, youtubing etc. came up with nothing on 'what do the lines and colours actually mean on a reversing camera?!" believe it or not.

THIRD: Bluetooth pairing. Awful, just awful. My Freelander showed a code on screen, which popped up on my android device to enter. Not here. No pop up on the android device. Eventually, thanks to google, I found I had to enter the 'android default 0000' on the car, so that it could pair with the device. Still, seems to work now but not at ALL intuitive.

...but there are some good points.

GOOD: The ACC. Works great, at low speeds, and can even re-engage at low speeds (hit RES) despite reading to the contrary that this only works over 25mph. This is not true, it worked for me today at about 5-7mph.

But that's it, for now. :shock:

I think your problem with the reversing camera is imagining the 3d geometry of it. The camera is mounted around three feet off the ground and pointing down diagonally. The red line marks the point on the ground that is about 50cm behind the car - I work on the basis that if I'm reversing up to a vertical object and stop when the red line it running along the line where it meets the ground, then the back of the car will be around 50 cm away from it and the hatchback will just about open. If you reverse further, the line will appear to climb up the object, but it will be difficult to predict exactly when you are going to hit it.

In fairness to the reversing camera, I've never found that reversing radar was particularly good at helping you avoid a bollard either - unless you are very lucky, it will be somewhere between two transducers and may not trigger a beep at all.

You can't stop the language/warning bit, that's there to drive us all mad, don't see why you should get away with it :lol: but to avoid it going to sat nav and leaving you going through the menu, use the PsideP function and it will remember your last screen, eg AV or EV trip etc. here's the 'how to' link: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=712&hilit=Psidep

Regarding camera, it gets easier. My last 2 were better beeps but you get used to it, honest.

Hang in there!

Have you had a reversing camera before? We've had 2 other cars with cameras, and they work in very much the same way. You just need to learn how the angles work.

Ps at least you have bleepers, the GX4H does without them. I have to admit, I miss them, particularly useful when someone walks behind your car in a car park. Will look at getting them fitted in the New Year.

tlongdon said:
HI all,

Been lurking a while, and appreciate ALL your comments. This is a many-times-a-day site for me to visit.

Got my 4hs delivered this morning. It's 'alright'. Not as comfortable or as clear a riding position as the 6yo Freelander 2 it replaces, but it's ok.

I can live with it, so long as I can resolve the following - which no manual or youtube video seems to address. So any help is welcome, and in return I promise to continue to post as I gradually come to love this car.

FIRST: How can I get it not to initiate the sat nav on start up? I use WAZE on an ipad, so I basically just want the radio. I genuinely can't find in the manual how to leave the MMCS displaying what it was when I turned it off.

SECOND: Reversing camera (*I've posted a similar, albeit unique, point elsewhere. Soz.) Hate it. I reversed into a bollard today, at 10 miles on the clock, because the camera showed it further away, and the green and red lines seemed to mean nothing. I tried again, with the red line half-way up the bollard, got out, and I was a good 50cm away. I'm used to beeps, and may have to go for an ugly stick-on beep/sensor alternative as the cam makes no sense. Likewise, lots of googling, youtubing etc. came up with nothing on 'what do the lines and colours actually mean on a reversing camera?!" believe it or not.

THIRD: Bluetooth pairing. Awful, just awful. My Freelander showed a code on screen, which popped up on my android device to enter. Not here. No pop up on the android device. Eventually, thanks to google, I found I had to enter the 'android default 0000' on the car, so that it could pair with the device. Still, seems to work now but not at ALL intuitive.

...but there are some good points.

GOOD: The ACC. Works great, at low speeds, and can even re-engage at low speeds (hit RES) despite reading to the contrary that this only works over 25mph. This is not true, it worked for me today at about 5-7mph.

But that's it, for now. :shock:

First: Don't know the answer but mine always did start on satnav and I only wanted radio but it now always starts on radio and I've know idea what I did that changed it.

Second: Never had camera or sensors before and hardly use camera now but if I reversed to red line it wouldn't touch anything vertical from that position.

Third: My bluetooth android automatically connects every time I get into car without fail up to now.

Alan

I know what you mean about the transition from a Freelander 2 - the ride is certainly different but when you get used to it things get easier. The all round vision is ok apart from the chunky B pillar which still catches me out at some junctions.

The reversing camera threw me for a while and the angles didn't seem to make sense until I got used to the fact that the camera is facing downwards ....... having said that I would be happier with beeps like my old FL2, especially at night when the screen just seems to blind me!

Bluetooth works flawlessly with my iphone :mrgreen:

I must admit the reversing camera works perfectly for me; the only thing I ever hit reversing was the skibox against a protrusion in a garage roof. I have to join the chorus that you just have to get used to it...

maby said:
I think your problem with the reversing camera is imagining the 3d geometry of it. The camera is mounted around three feet off the ground and pointing down diagonally. The red line marks the point on the ground that is about 50cm behind the car - I work on the basis that if I'm reversing up to a vertical object and stop when the red line it running along the line where it meets the ground, then the back of the car will be around 50 cm away from it and the hatchback will just about open. If you reverse further, the line will appear to climb up the object, but it will be difficult to predict exactly when you are going to hit it.

In fairness to the reversing camera, I've never found that reversing radar was particularly good at helping you avoid a bollard either - unless you are very lucky, it will be somewhere between two transducers and may not trigger a beep at all.

Exactly how I use and interpret the lines........back up to when the red line meets the wall/car/object behind you, then you'll just have room to open the tailgate. Must admit I prefer the rear sensors of my old BMW, but I'm getting used to the camera, and haven't hit anything (yet). Also have to admit I did hit a low level bollard in the centre of the rear bumper in the BMW, so I guess neither system is fool proof; looking behind and knowing the length of your car in the good old fashioned way has to be the most reliable system!

Thanks for all the tips guys. I will practice with your advice in mind.

I guessed the problem must be me more than the technology, given that the camera is considered an upgrade from the sensors. Just would've been nice to have both, or even the option of both.

Regarding the startup screen, if I switch off with the audioscreen displayed it will revert to audio on startup.

tlongdon said:
I guessed the problem must be me more than the technology, given that the camera is considered an upgrade from the sensors. Just would've been nice to have both, or even the option of both.
Hi,
You did/do have the option of both. I have rear camera AND rear Mitsubishi sensors. An additional cost option.
Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
Hi,
You did/do have the option of both. I have rear camera AND rear Mitsubishi sensors. An additional cost option.
Kind regards,
Mark

No way! I specifically asked the lease company and they said absolutely not! :evil:

The red line is supposed to represent the closest you can get while still being able to cleanly open the boot.

CJ

tlongdon said:
avensys said:
Hi,
Kind regards,
Mark
No way! I specifically asked the lease company and they said absolutely not! :evil:
I also installed COBRA front and rear sensors like I had on my previous cars (mostly to help wife's parking).
The Mitsubishi ones were twice the price.

t3lmo said:
tlongdon said:
avensys said:
Hi,
Kind regards,
Mark
I also installed COBRA front and rear sensors like I had on my previous cars (mostly to help wife's parking).
The Mitsubishi ones were twice the price.
How long did it take you to fit the Cobra system please? Is it fairly easy, I think there's just a 12v and earth to connect to the car? Interested in fitting a reversing one, so any advice would be welcomed thank you.

tlongdon said:
avensys said:
Hi,
Kind regards,
Mark

Hi,
Well, that's the leasing company, not Mitsubishi. They are listed as options and I have genuine Mitsubishi rear sensors as well as the camera on a GX4h.
Kind regards,
Mark

MHS said:
How long did it take you to fit the Cobra system please? Is it fairly easy, I think there's just a 12v and earth to connect to the car? Interested in fitting a reversing one, so any advice would be welcomed thank you.
Were installed at my Mitsubishi dealer before the delivery (+350€).

t3lmo said:
MHS said:
Were installed at my Mitsubishi dealer before the delivery (+350€).
And there I was, assuming you'd been getting your hands dirty!!
I might well fit the rears myself, as it doesn't look complicated. They're £50 to £70 on Ebay.

MHS said:
And there I was, assuming you'd been getting your hands dirty!!
I might well fit the rears myself, as it doesn't look complicated. They're £50 to £70 on Ebay.
That way, mines came with the same exact color of the PHEV:

P1250375.jpg

P1250367.jpg

Back