New PHEV coming

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonrh

Hi All, I think this is my first post but have been reading the site for some months. My question is at the bottom if you cant be bothered to read my waffle!!

I have an Atlantic grey GX4h coming in the next few weeks.

My usage is typically 20 miles per day to work and 20 miles back. I can charge at both ends.

I then go out and about maybe once a week on company business. I expect to subscribe myself to the most relevant charging schemes so I can charge when i stop for lunch etc.

I borrowed a GX3 last summer for a few days and know, on a warm day, that I can do the office trip on little or no petrol.

I am trying to get a ROLEC 32A Wallpod EV fitted at home under OLEV as I like the way they look if nothing else!

I have access to a 16A (red 3 phase) commercial socket at work that I can park close to and I will get a lead made for this which can will pull one of the phases and stay at work as it will be no use anywhere else?

With regard to the ROLEC wallpod, I prefer the idea of having a cable in the boot that I can take with me to use commercial charging point including chademo when I am out an about as well as at home.

The ROLEC is available with a type 2 socket rather than tethered. If i buy a type 2 double ended cable will this do for Chademo and 16A AC on most commercial charging points (if available). I would then have the std 13A, 3 pin cable for low current charging anywhere else?

Any thoughts or guidance greatly appreciated.

ChaDeMos have a permanently connected cable - you don't need to carry your own. There is not much point in plugging up to any other kind of charger while you have lunch - the amount of charge you'll pick up will be small.

I do pick up some charge whenever there's a charging point nearby of where I go shopping, eating or else. Most of the charging points are still free here in Switzerland, Chademos are all free.
Anyway, why not charge while the car is parked somewhere anyways?
But what you need is a Type2 - Type1 cable, not Type2 both ends.
For example: https://evconnectors.com/Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Leads-Connect-To-A-Charging-Station/j1772-to-62196-2-32-amp-plugs-and-cable-dsi-dsiec-ev32p

If you don't want to carry the extra weight, you could also go for the 16 Amp version. Same speed but less weight, as your PHEV will only consume 16 Amps anyway.
And the 16 Amp cable is only 3£ cheaper....

OK, so the vehicle only has a Chademo socket and a type 1 socket on it.

Chademo cables are tethered to the charging point so I don't need a cable.

Do most AC chargers at hotel / city centre etc. have tethered Type 1 cables or is it bring your own type 1 to type 2 adapter cable.?

most have type 2 socket so you need to provide your own type 2 to type 1 cable per link in post above. But many also have a standard 3 pin socket in the UK (cable comes with car)

BUT, I wanted to pick up when you say the work will let you have a 16A socket and you'll get a cable to fit, you will need the control box too to regulate the charge (like your rolec home box). The Mistu supplied cable and control box for 13A UK 3 pin sockets restricts the flow to 10A. To make use of 16A you need the box like your rolec (32A may be future proofing but the PHEV can only cope with 16A in the type 1 socket).

I know its a minefield, but I hope that helps a bit.
HJB

I thought I had read that the Outlander will charge in Mode 1 and 2 (i.e Dumb cable) if required?

simonrh said:
I thought I had read that the Outlander will charge in Mode 1 and 2 (i.e Dumb cable) if required?
Hi, Simon,
What do you mean by "dumb cable"? The Outlander and (AFAIK) all cars, besides the Live, Neutral and Earth, use a control pilot lead to "talk" between the car and charging equipment, either control box or wall charger. The signals on this wire tell the car how much current can be supplied, whether the car has finished charging, and safety info, i.e stopping you driving off with the charge lead still plugged in! There are a few other protocol signals flashing back and forth, but simply plugging the car into the mains won't work.

I guess he means the mode 1 charging where you can use any single phase outlet with no communication necessary (it's all resistor coded)
No ICCB is needed for communication.

See the differences: http://w3.siemens.com/powerdistribution/global/en/lv/green-applications/electromobility/pages/charging-modes-for-electric-vehicles.aspx

If the Outlander PHEV REALLY supports mode 1 charging, I'd make myself a very cheap charging cable with two resistors to choose from via switch and have myself a bargain selectable 10/16 Amp charging cable :)

maby said:
ChaDeMos have a permanently connected cable - you don't need to carry your own. There is not much point in plugging up to any other kind of charger while you have lunch - the amount of charge you'll pick up will be small.

But he's on business trips, expenses lunches, so he have plenty of time :lol:

greendwarf said:
maby said:

But he's on business trips, expenses lunches, so he have plenty of time :lol:

Damn, is it *that* transparent how this is going to work?

Back