Occasional constant beeping from bonnet area?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vs2 said:
If you don't use the vehicle for 24hrs the car will charge the 12v battery every day at 1400hrs whether it is plugged in or not and you will notice the beeping sound plus the other things mentioned.

I don't believe that is quite right. I think it is more like the preceding 8 hours before 2pm, and only then if you have a device registered on the wifi.

I've only been stood by the car once at 14:00 when it started the charge (I heard my rolec charger click on for about 10 seconds). Other than the usual clunking of the car starting to charge, there were no other noises and definitely no bleeping.

Maybe. All I know is that about 20 times in the last 18 months at around 1400hrs (because I always look at my watch when I hear it) when I have happened to be in my garage I have heard the beeping and seen the flashing lights in the interior.

Also this was posted by Telmo who has his own PHEV FB page. (turn your volume way up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yl5gaTPagE

Just watched the video - that is indeed exactly like the beeping that mine makes. Mine is an earlier 'white lens' 2014 model though so the dashboard graphics are not quite the same. I've just noticed that when I lock my PHEV's doors (and the wing mirrors close-up) this very same beep does, as I've previously mentioned, occur 8 times (possibly 9 - the noise of the mirror motors may hide the first beep) and precisely coincides with the flashing of the red light that is located in the central dash area (under the central air vents), directly to the left and in the same dispay 'insert' (UK RHD car) as the passenger airbag warning light (ie. is the passenger airbag on or off).

No idea what this red light actually indicates but as it flashes when everything is locked up and switched off, I've always assumed it's the alarm 'on' indicator. There is a B/W graphic in the owner's book that does show the passenger airbag warning light, with this red light also shown, but no explanation as to what the red light is for, only information about the on or off airbag warning light. Whether this mystery red light flashes in unison with the mystery beeping when it occurs, I've never noticed. I'll see if it does next time it does it.

UPDATE: Yes, red light does flash in unison with beep when it occurs, but only if the doors are locked. If doors are unlocked then red light doesn't flash at all. Beeping does almost always stop when door or tailgate is opened.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Actually the light doesn't always flash in unison with the beep! Today it was beeping in unison with the red dash light in the 'off' part of its flashing cycle.
ie. beep sound and red light not flashing simultaneously. I'm going to get the PHEV serviced, MoT'd and recalled shortly so I'll ask the dealer why it randomly beeps - and they'll say they don't know!

NightPHEVer said:
Just watched the video - that is indeed exactly like the beeping that mine makes. Mine is an earlier 'white lens' 2014 model though so the dashboard graphics are not quite the same. I've just noticed that when I lock my PHEV's doors (and the wing mirrors close-up) this very same beep does, as I've previously mentioned, occur 8 times (possibly 9 - the noise of the mirror motors may hide the first beep) and precisely coincides with the flashing of the red light that is located in the central dash area (under the central air vents), directly to the left and in the same dispay 'insert' (UK RHD car) as the passenger airbag warning light (ie. is the passenger airbag on or off).

No idea what this red light actually indicates but as it flashes when everything is locked up and switched off, I've always assumed it's the alarm 'on' indicator. There is a B/W graphic in the owner's book that does show the passenger airbag warning light, with this red light also shown, but no explanation as to what the red light is for, only information about the on or off airbag warning light. Whether this mystery red light flashes in unison with the mystery beeping when it occurs, I've never noticed. I'll see if it does next time it does it.

UPDATE: Yes, red light does flash in unison with beep when it occurs, but only if the doors are locked. If doors are unlocked then red light doesn't flash at all. Beeping does almost always stop when door or tailgate is opened.

You are not alone!

Mine does it (2016 4HS).

Basically, if i get home form work, turn engine off, and sit in the car checking emails before opening the door, you can hear a few clunks and a very quite beeping noise. Coming from deep inside dash. A totally different beep or location as any other beep the Outlander does.

Not sure why it does it - unless it's linked to the alarm or something or the immobiliser kicking in.

The red LED alarm light flashes, and the P on the shifter remains lit for a while.

I thinkit might also do it when it hasn't been driven too, but cannot remember. It's certainly a regular thing though. I have no concerns, only just would be nice to know what the purpose is.

vs2 said:
If you don't use the vehicle for 24hrs the car will charge the 12v battery every day at 1400hrs whether it is plugged in or not and you will notice the beeping sound plus the other things mentioned.

Noticed this again yesterday around 14.00 so makes sense and thinking back it was probably about this time before :cool:

Mine now doesn't seem to do this anymore. And it's done very few miles in the last month - spent most of the time in the garage. I'm not entirely sure, but I reckon it might not have done it since it was serviced in November 2017. Had wifi and spark plug recall performed at that time too. As I suspected though the Mitsubishi main dealer had no idea at all what might cause the beeping. It still beeps 9 times when I lock the doors though.

This just happened to me on my new 2018. Car was parked in driveway, charger plugged in but fully charged overnight. It was warm and sunny so I decided to open the windows to air out the new car smell. Unlocked the car, started it, rolled down the windows, then turned if off and left it unlocked. About an hour later I walked by the car and realized it was beeping inside the car.

Removing the charge cord and shutting the charge port did not stop the beeping. Plugged back in and just opened then shut the driver's door and it stopped.

A warning beep inside an unattended car is pretty useless especially if there is no indication for why it is beeping.

I wish I knew what it was trying to indicate.

Hey guys is it just my car (2023) but regardless if the ignition is on or off lock or unlocked the under hood beeper sounds continuous non stop any time the hood is released. I can’t imagine a tech changing the oil listening to this as the work. the beeper is hidden in the drivers side fender anyone else have this problem.

I’ve see dozens of tube videos with the hood up without the beeper going off.

Thanks Mike

Disregard I just found out what it is - anytime the charger is plugged in the car and you open the hood even if the car is off the beeper sounds I guess to warn of high voltage.

Thanks Mike

Back