Oh dear, electrical problems starting to rack up.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick2b

My car, new last October, now has 17,000 miles on it. Had to have both boot dampers changed after the first service as they would close themselves if the weather was cold.
This took a technical note from Mitsubishi to diagnose the problem.
I now have an EV Service warning light illuminated on the dash and despite being back to the dealer, they don't know the problem and are again waiting instruction from Mitsubishi. This is accompanied by other strange goings-on, like the ABS kicking in every time the brake pedal is lightly applied.
I hope this isn't setting the trend for the next 2 and a half years.

The wheel speed sensors are used by most of the car smarts. Might be worth a try to confirm all are operating to specs. I found a detailed interactions list in one of the online workshop manuals linked to in Russia, when I went looking for why I had EV warnings with ABS, RBS, etc etc.. and low battery capacity. My PHEV was just replaced, and new one has had no electrical problems in 10000km so far.

Very sorry for your troubles, hope they get fixed without too much drama.

I always believed that purchase of a new vehicle is just like opening a new box of chocolates (Copyright, Forrest Gump) you never know what you are gonna get until you get in to it. Had mine for a year, not a single glitch, it's been a perfect performer :D , touch wood.

Your ABS kicking in with only light braking could be the ABS sensors (or similar) are not picking up the reluctor ring on the back of the hub...

This, or a similar problem can happen to older cars where the 'teeth' on the ring have rusted away, so the ABS sensor 'thinks' the wheel has locked up....

Or you could ignore me for waffling...... :oops:

So, I now have the car back from the dealer, unfortunately still with the same problem.

However, I do have an explanation following another technical note from Mitsubishi - BUT, either the solution is not correct or Mitsubishi have a serious problem.
Mitsubishi have instructed that the EV Service Warning light will illuminate when:

The vehicle is fitted with tyres:
of different makes, or
of different tread patterns, or
of differing rolling radii caused by different wear rates - NO TOLERANCE!!

Though this sounds completely implausible, the problem started after KwikFit had fitted 2 new Continental tyres (they said they couldn't get hold of replacement Toyo's).
So, Mitsubishi have now called Kwikfit and informed them of the issue. Kwikfit have ordered another 2 new tyres.

Fortunately for me it is a company car so I don't have to pay - I'm sure the Leasing company won't be impressed.
As it stands, according to this diagnosis, if you need to replace a tyre you may need 4!!

Like I said, I can scarcely believe this, but I'll get the new ones fitted and see.

This is not an unknown issue on a number of vehicles with sensitive traction control systems.

I used to drive Land Rover Discovery's and they were also known to be very sensitive to similar issues.
It was well known that new tyres should always be fitted to the rear and always fitted in matching pairs.
Mixing tread patterns was also a source of problems so one to avoid.
So if you had Goodyears ( or Pirellis) you fitted the same or swapped all 4

TBH sounds like KwikFit fitted the most expensive tyre they had (Continental) rather than trying to match the tyres.

I would always try to stick with the tyres fitted by the manufacturer unless you need all terrain or mud tyres in which case you should always swap all 4.

Because original size tyres (225x55x18) are expensive, I was planning to replace them with 225x50x18 tyres or 235x55x18 (all 4 of them) when I need new tyres. I wonder if this difference would create any issue or it would not as long as all 4 are the same size?

As long as you don't drive the car in Germany. Using a non-approved tyre size is illegal and can lead to you being held liable in case of an accident without obligation for the insurance company to pay. I don't know about other countries. In Holland I wouldn't worry too much.

There is no such law issue in Australia.
I was talking about if replacing all four tyres with different size would create any trouble for the electronics in the vehicle?!?

I think Car electronics are a black art :lol:
As I said above, I have read stories of discos lighting up like an xmas tree when running different tyres .
I also know of people who have run mixed tyres with no issues :roll:

Logic says that it is the circumference that is important as if the abs sensors detect wheels rotating at different speeds then action will be taken by the traction control system.
If you go for 50 profile rather than 55 then the tyres will have a different circumference, but if this will be outside the tolerance would be a question to Mitsubishi I guess.

Back