Outlander makes noise while off and charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakyoutlander

My Outlander sometimes makes noise while it's off. (I think that it is during a charging state). It sounds like the low rumble of a clothes washing machine. Is this normal?

Have you checked that the timed AC isn't programmed to come on automatically at certain times. If I program the remote pre-heater the car makes a low rumble while its on.

The PHEV system coolant pump will run intermittently during the charging process to keep the OBC cool. From measuring power in vs power from the battery (the miles/kWh meter on the car computer), the OBC appears to be about 85-90% efficient in converting the incoming AC power to DC and pushing it into the battery. But that means that there's still about 300-500W of heat that gets generated during the charging process and that's what is being removed from the OBC by the coolant.

Thanks for the responses,

The timed AC isn't on, so i don't think it's that. Also, it was minus 15 degrees Celcius yesterday when it was doing this, and started shortly after i plugged it in. Would the coolant pump still run in that scenario?

You can see this when opening the hood, the reservoir sits right up front, and the water/coolant will move when the pump is active :)

Back