Outlander PHEV in Spain

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emm3t

Yesterday I ordered my Outlander PHEV MY16 here in Spain. For the MY16 model, they have made some quite dramatic changes, especially when you compare it to the situation in countries like the UK or The Netherlands.

Since the new Outlander PHEV only really went on sale on Monday, the Spanish Mitsubishi website (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.es) hasn't been updated yet (except for a one-page outline brochure) so it still shows the MY14.5 version.

In any case, here's the lowdown:

Firstly, there is only one variant which contrasts enormously with the range of sub-versions you can find in the UK (for example). For MY4.5 there were two versions.

This version is a strange mix between the UK GX3h and the GX4hs. The reason they have done this is to ensure that the base price (before VAT) is €32,000 or less. That way, the car qualifies for the Spanish government's incentive package of €3,700 off the price (and free car registration - some town councils also provide a total or partial discount on the road tax).

The equipment package includes:

7" MMCS with bluetooth and GPS
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Front Collision Mitigation (FCM)
Unintended Acceleration Mitigation System (UMS)
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
Multi-around monitor system + parking camera
Parking sensors front and rear
LED headlights and DRLs
Keyless drive
Automatic rear door
Hill start assist
Mitsubishi remote control via app
Electric heating
Front heated seats
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Heated steering wheeel
DAB radio (which is funny, since there are hardly any DAB stations in Spain!)
No surcharge for the paint (you can have white pearl, ruby black, orient red or atlantic grey. I have ordered the black one :cool: )

BUT
No leather seat option (C-Tech instead)
No sunroof option
No electronically adjusted seats
No subwoofer (the Rockford Fosgate was standard in previous models)

This variant has been specifically made for the Spanish market (not sure about others) and the ship with first non-showroom batch should dock in Barcelona in about four weeks (and then two weeks more before I get my hands on it).

Curiously, even if you wanted to forgoe the government discount and ask for the leather seats and sunroof, you cannot have it! The model they have is the only model you can get.

Anyway, not sure if this is useful for anyone, but I think it shows the contrast between the Mitsubishi strategy between big EV/PHEV purchasers such as the UK and NL (which appears to be to segment the market and produce something for each of them) and very small EV/PHEV markets like Spain (where the plan appears to be something for everyone!).

emm3t said:
Curiously, even if you wanted to forgoe the government discount and ask for the leather seats and sunroof, you cannot have it! The model they have is the only model you can get.

I always understood that a sunroof AND air con was unique to the UK car market, as most foreigners can't think of any reason for wanting both :lol:

Air-con in Spain is the default - you really have to try hard to find a car that doesn't have it now.

As to the sunroof, you are right that it is a lot rarer to see a car with a sunroof in Spain than in the UK. Maybe people feel that shade is a more precious commodity than sunlight over here :D .

On the previous model of the Outlander PHEV, the sunroof option was standard on the more expensive of the two variants that were offered - this is why it is strange that it was removed.

I have this spain model imported to the Netherlands. All the options I needed, just no leather (which is bad anyway) and the subwoofer is totally not needed.

What is the problem with the leather? :?: Mine (off-white) is rather nice and holds its finish better after 65.000 Km than that in the Jaguars I had before.

greendwarf said:
emm3t said:

I always understood that a sunroof AND air con was unique to the UK car market, as most foreigners can't think of any reason for wanting both :lol:
No - the Dutch market had(has?) two models with both sunroof and airconditioning. I rather doubt the value of a sunroof in hot and sunny climates, though.
The subwoofer is not very good and better left out anyway IMO. The owner can always fit a decent aftermarket one if so desired.

jaapv said:
greendwarf said:
emm3t said:

No - the Dutch market had(has?) two models with both sunroof and airconditioning. I rather doubt the value of a sunroof in hot and sunny climates, though.
The subwoofer is not very good and better left out anyway IMO. The owner can always fit a decent aftermarket one if so desired.

But the Dutch are just the English with wet feet or the other way round, if you prefer - I mean proper foreigners :lol:

Do any models get rear A/C? I find it that the top of the line model(VRX is the NZ version) is pretty poor and only has a couple of vents under the seats which only work when the down arrow is on on the A/C display.

Isn't it the loudest sunroof ever!

No tilt.

Water on the roof falls on the passenger and driver, first car I've had that doesn't have a gutter to stop that happening,

Opening / closing button has to be held down.

Doesn't autoclose when car locked.

Zero points from me ....

I have no idea what the point is of the sunroof, I'd preferred something else to be honest.

SolarBoy said:
Isn't it the loudest sunroof ever!

No tilt.

Water on the roof falls on the passenger and driver, first car I've had that doesn't have a gutter to stop that happening,

Opening / closing button has to be held down.

Doesn't autoclose when car locked.

Zero points from me ....

I have no idea what the point is of the sunroof, I'd preferred something else to be honest.

Well then I'm glad it's not an option way down here.

Mine is a quite a nice sunroof including tilt. Open-close-tilt button does not have to be held down. One touch suffices. And it has a gutter, you can leave it on tilt in the rain. Whilst not particularly silent it isn't louder than the next sunroof.

I think you have been short-changed by your importer.

But yes, it is annoying that it lacks autoclose. It can be resolved, though, with a bit of DIY, I understand from the Dutch forum.

jaapv said:
Mine is a quite a nice sunroof including tilt. Open-close-tilt button does not have to be held down. One touch suffices. And it has a gutter, you can leave it on tilt in the rain. Whilst not particularly silent it isn't louder than the next sunroof.

I think you have been short-changed by your importer.

But yes, it is annoying that it lacks autoclose. It can be resolved, though, with a bit of DIY, I understand from the Dutch forum.

I have dug the manual out.

:oops:

Read the manual.

Went outside in my pajamas it was that important to check.

:oops:

It has got tilt ... :oops: ... of course you have to press the button rather than press towards close :oops: yes there are the words 'Press' on it but unless you are a contortionist it's a bit difficult to see. Poor defence I know.

Since I found the tilt mode it is now opening and closing with one press of the button :roll: I swear it wasn't doing this before.

So that is 2 of my gripes sorted.

So I like it a lot more now it has tilt.

How are mere mortals supposed to work this vehicle, I am a technical person though as I design User Interfaces perhaps that is my undoing...

Have I eaten enough humble pie?

I beg forgiveness.

Humble pie can be tasty, especially if it is Apple Pie ;) No offense intended, but I have to correct misconceptions. This forum is read by non-cognoscenti as well.

jaapv said:
Humble pie can be tasty, especially if it is Apple Pie ;) No offense intended, but I have to correct misconceptions. This forum is read by non-cognoscenti as well.

I'm glad of the tilt and thank you for your observation, I like decent airflow over my face when driving and I should now be able to turn Climate Control off without the need to have a window open, not to save battery but to reduce the noise of the car to truly stealth.

It says a lot when the Climate Control fan is the loudest part of the car.

Back