PHEV Charge Mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdjcameras

Just got delivery of a year old Outlander and I am new to this type of car so still learning the ins and outs of it all so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have been experimenting to see how long the car needs to idle in charge to gain a useful range - I have noticed that after 10 mins or so there is a definate warm rubber smell from the car (outside). Is this normal? - I noticed that the exhaust is not as heavy as a standard ICE vehicle and maybe its just that heating... Anyone else notice this?

Peter

That is normal. Initially it is the exhaust coating burning off, later on it will return from time to time as street dirt clings to the exhaust. Just ignore, in general it will disappear.
Idling to charge the car is a bit of a waste of fuel, to put it mildly, BTW.

Yes, very normal. I've never had a brand new car before the Outlander but I believe that the difference is the smell is burnt off very quickly on a car that only uses the ICE, whereas a PHEV uses the EV a lot so it takes longer for the smell to go away because the ICE isn't used all the time. It went away after a couple of weeks for me I think.

Back