PHEV in Storage - How to Maintain 12V Battery Charge?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BygAuldByrd

My PHEV will be in storage at home for about 3 months so I'm trying to work out the best way of leaving it so that when I next press the Power button on my return it starts and runs without any issues.

I read and been told the following conflicting ideas:
  • * The 12V auxiliary battery is automatically charged daily from the traction battery if the vehicle is not driven
    * The 12V auxiliary battery is only charged when then vehicle is being driven
    * The 12V auxiliary battery should be disconnected when the vehicle is not being used for an extended period - with, I understand, a resultant loss of certain critical parameters
    * The 12V auxiliary battery should / should not be trickle charged by an external trickle charger

I intend leaving the PHEV Charging Cable connected with the Charge Timer set to about 6 hours one day a week. That should keep the Traction Battery charged and so ready to go when I get home.

BUT given the conflicting ideas regarding the 12V Auxiliary Battery mentioned above I'm still to be convinced that the 12V Auxiliary Battery will still be fully charged when I go to start the PHEV after 3 months of no driving.

So, should I leave a trickle charger across the 12V Auxiliary Battery, or will keeping the Traction Battery charged ensure a normal start?

Cheers

Trevor

The 12v battery will be topped up from the drive battery every day at 14:00, when you are not driving.

Although not in normal circumstances, it is quite possible to deplete the 12v battery between "top ups". Then the car will not "start", not even with a full drive battery. And not even when you reconnect it to a charger (the top up process and the charger will not work with a depleted 12v battery). When the 12v battery is depleted, you can hook up your car to another car using jumpstart cables. Immediately, you can "start" your car and remove the cables. The car will keep "running" and the 12v battery will be charged again, from the drive battery.

It is a pitty you loose life time mpg numbers and such when the 12v battery goes dead, but I cannot imagine you will loose "critical" parameters. What did you have in mind with that?

Anko's reply seems to suggest that disconnecting the 12V battery would be the best strategy to insure a startup after storage.

I don't interpret Anko's reply as suggesting the Auxiliary Battery should be disconnected - he's simply explaining an abnormal situation that would require the PHEV to be jump-started.

Anko has confirmed that the Auxiliary Battery is automatically recharged from the Traction Battery each day. Since my car, while in storage, will have the 240Vac connected all the time and set to charge the Traction Battery at least once per week there should be no serious risk of a completely depleted Auxiliary Battery.

I'd be absolutely amazed if the 12V discharged completely within 1 day between the automatic daily recharge from the Traction Battery when the vehicle is not used. Certainly, at the present time my PHEV goes 2 to 4 days without being driven with no noticeable effect on being able to start the vehicle when desired.

Cheers

Trevor

BygAuldByrd said:
I don't interpret Anko's reply as suggesting the Auxiliary Battery should be disconnected - he's simply explaining an abnormal situation that would require the PHEV to be jump-started.
Indeed.

BygAuldByrd said:
I'd be absolutely amazed if the 12V discharged completely within 1 day between the automatic daily recharge from the Traction Battery when the vehicle is not used.
Absolutely. I was giving it a very hard time when that happend (see my posts about discovering the OBDII parameters :mrgreen: )

OK, I would think a reasonably charged main battery should be able to cope with a small 12V one as well, but there have been reports of cars being parked at the airport for a few weeks and losing the charge to the the point of non-starting (not my experience and I am sometimes away for a month, I hasten to add). Disconnecting cannot harm and could be an insurance policy, possibly.

Hi,
Please see my question to Mitsubishi uk Customer Services re this topic.

Customer Services - Mitsubishi Motors UK
Subject: Technical Question regarding Outlander PHEV that my dealer cannot answer

I am shortly travelling to Australia for a period of 6 weeks.

My question is , providing my Phev is fully charged prior to my departure , my understanding is that the auxiliary battery will not go flat as it draws its power from the main pack of batteries. As a result upon my return the vehicle would be good to go . Is that correct?

I have asked my dealer the same question and they were not sure.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that we recommend that the vehicle is left with charge, if not fully charge. As long as all accessories are disconnected and internal lights etc. are switched off, the vehicle will be fine to use as normal, upon your return.

Hope this helps

This would be my conclusion as well. I have seen the automatic aux battery recharge feature after a headlight testing exercise. Need the main traction battery to have sufficient charge. Might be a different story if you used NORMAL mode to arrive at the airport and the main battery was already depleted. I guess the pure EV adventurers might have to burn some petrol to arrive at an airport with a full battery. Not a problem if someone else's petrol was used to get to an airport and the PHEV could stay at home.

I read some of the manual when I first got the car.
Mine might get the odd day or two when it isn't used, or may be a week, so I didn't worry about the long term non use bit.

I thought the manual said the 2pm top up of the 12V battery was only if it wasn't used that day.

And if it didn't get used for a week, the WiFi and a few other things got turned off, to save power.
and some other things happen, which I just can't remember now, but at the time, it sounded like Mitsubishi had thought about the "what happens if it doesn't get used for a while"

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input.

One point I think some may have overlooked is that while my PHEV is in my garage at home while I’m away for about 3 months the Charger Cable will be connected to a live 240V supply and the charge timer set to charge the vehicle Traction Battery once each week.

Now a number of comments on various aspects raised:

Disconnecting the 12V Battery and Loss of Critical Parameters:

Disconnecting the Auxiliary Battery appears to have the deleterious effect of, according to “The Technician Training Guide, PHEV Outlander” (undated) (hereafter the “TTG”), page 28 discussing the counter in the ETACS:

The counter is rest every time the customer adds more than 15 litres of fuel in the tank. Note: The counter will also be reset in case the 12 Volt auxiliary battery is disconnected! This counter function is implemented to keep the fuel in the MPI system, particularly in the fuel rail from deteriorating to the extent of damaging the injectors.

Further, at TTG page 111 is states:

Do not disconnect the 12 volt battery for long period. This is to ensure that the control information for the drive battery is correctly stored in the PHEV ECU and BMU.

There are other auxiliary systems, such as the security alarm system, that also subject the Auxiliary battery to a continue energy drain, and if my PHEV is like other cars I’ve owned, disconnecting or letting the battery run down triggers the vehicle’s alarm, much to the annoyance of my neighbours when I’m not home, because they have no way of cancelling it.

It is also noted that the Auxiliary Battery also operates the electric “parking lock actuator”, controlled by the PHEV-ECU, that locks the front transmission system (TTG pages 58 & 59), and without power from the Auxiliary Battery the vehicle cannot be moved.

2:00 PM Charging of the Auxiliary Battery:

The TTG, page 82, in discussing the “EV remote ECU” and Remote Control function provides the following:

NOTE:
1) Once a device has been connected wirelessly to the vehicle, the onboard DC/DC converter will automatically charge the auxiliary battery at 2.00pm every day. This is to replenish the power consumed by the EV remote ECU.

This implies that the 2:00pm charging routine ONLY occurs while there is a Remote Control device connected wirelessly, and again at TTG page 82:

3) If the vehicle is not driven, charged or had the power switch set to READY for a period of 10 minutes or more within a 36 hour period, the EV remote ECU will turn off the Wireless LAN signal.

This is telling me that the “EV remote ECU” is switched off after the conditions noted are met, and as there will be no Remote Device connected to my PHEV’s “EV remote ECU” once I leave home and my intended charging interval is once per week, this also appears to mean that the 2:00pm charging provided by TTG Note 1 above is also cancelled.

At TTG page 111, we find the following:

Maintenance Precautions for drive battery and auxiliary 12 volt battery

If the vehicle is not used for a long time, check the drive battery meter reading every three months. The battery SOC should be a minimum of 1 segment.

If the reading is zero, charge the battery until at least 1 segment is shown on battery SOC. This is done by putting the electric motor switch in READY then start the engine and press battery charge button. Allow the engine to run for at least 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, stop the petrol engine and keep the vehicle ignition switch in “Ready” status. This allows the OBC to charge the auxiliary 12 volt battery.

Do not disconnect the 12 volt auxiliary battery for long period. This is to ensure that the information for the drive battery is correctly stored in the PHEV ECU ad BMU.

Fortunately I expect to be back before the 3 month period expires, but this again suggests that the Auxiliary Battery will be depleted following a long period of vehicle inactivity.

At TTG page 122 we find the following:

When the PHEV-ECU inputs the operation enable signal into the DC-DC converter with the power switch in the READY condition or under charging conditions (normal charge or quick charge), the DC-DC converter decreases the high voltage of the drive battery down to the auxiliary battery power supply voltage of 14 volt.

This suggests that the Auxiliary Battery is also charged whilst the Traction Battery is being charged. However, as noted above, the “EV remote ECU” is switched off after 36 hours of inactivity, so maybe then the DC-DC converter doesn’t get triggered by the PHEV-ECU to charge the Auxiliary Battery. The interaction of the “EV remote ECU” and the PHEV-ECU under these conditions is unclear to me.

Then we get, also on TTG page 122:

The decreased auxiliary battery power supply voltage is output from the B terminal to the auxiliary battery or to other electrical components. The DC-DC converter monitors the terminal voltage of the auxiliary battery through the S terminal, and adjusts the output voltage so that the terminal voltage of the auxiliary battery can be maintained at approximately 14V.

This appears to imply that the DC-DC converter can charge the Auxiliary Battery from the Traction Battery at any time the Auxiliary Battery drops below 14V, possibly without being triggered by the PHEV-ECU. Again it is unclear how these systems are interacting.

From all of the foregoing I’m still unsure as to what I will find when I arrive home from my overseas trip. Will I, or won’t, I be able to get into my PHEV, immediately start it and drive away. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

Cheers

Trevor

Would something like this be useful to leave in the boot/trunk? Could give the Aux battery enough of a boost to start the system - it doesn't need to power a starter motor but the advert says it can. For £40 an investment??

Jeff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-58000...ster-Charger-Battery-Power-Bank-/201407578071

4106905_02.jpg=800

Keeping a jump starter in the trunk will not prevent the loss of data when the PHEV AUX battery is flat. It will only enable you to get on your way, or help another driver do the same with a flat battery.

Noted, but OP was about leaving the car for 3 months and not being able to start due to flat Aux Battery upon return - this device should keep a charge for at least 3 months so would assist in getting going if you get back to the car and it wont start.

Jeff

Funny, isn't it? All you need is enough power to turn on the Ready light. Very little thus.

I managed to 'jumpstart' my car from another cars battery using normal 230 volt installation wires, when I did not have jumpstart cables available. The process takes a very short time, but in this short amount of time, laws of physics will try to recharge your battery from the other battery. So, there will be a huge current flowing through the cable., much greater than what is needed to turn on your car. The wires got extremely hot and started to smell :oops:

Don't think disconnecting the Aux battery is such a great idea. I have just been reading the emergency procedures manual and it says don't close the tailgate when the Aux battery is disconnected as you will not be able to re-open it. Never thought of the electronic lock :shock:

Hi All Interested in this topic that I started months ago...

I'm back home now after 3 months overseas with my PHEV sitting in my garage, plugged into the mains, powered ON, and set to charge every Sunday night. The vehicle has not been touched or driven whilst I've been away.

Arrived home, disconnected the charging cable, hopped in, pressed the Start Button and ...
everything worked normally :D

So, my simple recommendation for long storage periods of your PHEV:
  • * DO NOT disconnect anything within the vehicle.
    * Leave the Charging Cable plugged into the mains and vehicle (of course), and leave it turned ON.
    * Set the Charging Timer to run once a week at a convenient time, generally overnight, but if you have solar power available maybe when the sun is shining :)
    * Try and enjoy your time away from your beloved PHEV ;)

Cheers

Trevor

Neverfuel said:
Don't think disconnecting the Aux battery is such a great idea. I have just been reading the emergency procedures manual and it says don't close the tailgate when the Aux battery is disconnected as you will not be able to re-open it. Never thought of the electronic lock :shock:

There will be a way of getting into it! I've not looked at the PHEV in detail, but I did have the aux battery fail in our Prius and had to get in - there's a mechanical key built into the fob that will open the driver's door, then it's a case of working your way back into the luggage area by folding seats. Once there, there will be an access cover that can be removed close to the lock mechanism which allows you to manually override it.

Back