Pod Point Charger

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilf

I made the decision to go with pod point chargers and am beginning to think I have made a mistake.
Having arranged for the fitting of the unit - single tethered 3kw unit the fitter arrived on time that as it was 1pm he did not have time to fit the unit. He made various excuses about the distance I wanted to for the unit away. When I got a tape measure out and it was well within the 15m limit he agreed it was fine. He went away and the fitting company contacted me to rearrange the fitting on Jan 5th at 1pm. Guess what at 12.19 I had a call to say the engineer was ill. They arranged to come the following day at 1pm which they did.

All fitted and tested no instructions left.

First night set to charge all fine using the timer to come on with off peak electricity.

Second night got up at 6 to go to work no charge - unit locked out.

Now this is the issue- Simon at customer services tells me that if you plug the car in at 9pm the unit sends to the car 'a number of times' - if the car does not take the charge it locks out.
The whole purpose of having the car is to use off peak electricity.
Has anyoneelse experienced this? Have I had a charging unit installed which is in my view not fit for purpose? What are my options? Does anyone else have a charging unit which they use with the timer. Plugging it in at 9pm and waiting for the off peak electricity?
Incredibly frustrated with the service and finally the operation of the unit.
Help!

Good evening,
Posted this yesterday now with 53 views and no replies.
Can I therefore take it that everyone is happy with their pod point charger with the Mitsubishi Phev and the timer etc works fine.
The charger charged last night BUT the unit had locked out and needed resetting in the understairs cupboard - not ideal.

I am very new to all this stuff and only done 1000 miles. I really don't want to end up with a charger that does not work.

Any advice gratefully received.

Sorry to increase your frustration, but I expect, like me, most of the "views" are members who read all new posts, even if the title of the thread is unlikely to be of direct relevance to them, either too learn something or in case there is a response we can make - however, as in this case, we can't.

For me, why not? - because I don't have a charge point of any type BUT, of course, your experience may influence me if I do go down that route in future.

So for me this remains a thread I would read but I am very unlikely to post a further response - Sorry, again.

greendwarf said:
Sorry to increase your frustration, but I expect, like me, most of the "views" are members who read all new posts, even if the title of the thread is unlikely to be of direct relevance to them, either too learn something or in case there is a response we can make - however, as in this case, we can't.

For me, why not? - because I don't have a charge point of any type BUT, of course, your experience may influence me if I do go down that route in future.

So for me this remains a thread I would read but I am very unlikely to post a further response - Sorry, again.

Ditto, sorry but I have a Rolec 32A untethered charger and don't do timer-based charging! ;)

However, we are quite nice people on here...

I can certainly see that everyone is incredibly helpful here and no inference they are not nice.

:)
I will be more patient to hear from anyone who has had experience of pod-point chargers.

I have a Podpoint and it works fine overnight (or any other time for that matter) no matter what time of day I plug it in. Not heard anything about this 9PM thing before.

Thank you for this information. Can you confirm if it is a tethered unit or you use your own lead- mine is tethered. Are you using the timer function in the car or the timer via the app?

Every time mine is used it either does not charge or it charges but is locked out in the morning and needs re setting at the RCD.

I can only think I have a faulty unit??

Thank you for your help.

I have a tethered podpoint & phev and have never had an issue - although, I've never bothered with the timer, I just plug it in whenever I need to charge it.

I don't have a Pod Point, but no issues charging on night timer using tethered 16A British Gas Polar charger. I plug in when I get home from work at 5pm, charge doesn't start until the preset time of midnight.

Haven't got a podpoint so not sure on this, but - what MCB's are fitted in your consumer unit? If that's what's under the stairs. Is it rated right? And some electrical equipment needs a type C, rather than a type B, which is the common type. Type C can deal with the large start-up spike of some appliances. As I say, not sure, but could be something to do with the extended cable run? All rather unlikely, but might be worth considering.

For a quick explanation of MCB types: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Distribution/Mcb.htm

Neilf said:
Thank you for this information. Can you confirm if it is a tethered unit or you use your own lead- mine is tethered. Are you using the timer function in the car or the timer via the app?

Every time mine is used it either does not charge or it charges but is locked out in the morning and needs re setting at the RCD.

Thank you for your help.
I have a tethered unit. I don't use timers at all I'm afraid. There were reports if a problem related to using the charging timer but I can't recall what it was. From memory it was avensys (Mark) who first reported it - it might be worth you doing some searches on here to track those posts down as I have the feeling that your problem might be something to do with this.

maddogsetc said:
Neilf said:

Thank you for your help.
I have a tethered unit. I don't use timers at all I'm afraid. There were reports if a problem related to using the charging timer but I can't recall what it was. From memory it was avensys (Mark) who first reported it - it might be worth you doing some searches on here to track those posts down as I have the feeling that your problem might be something to do with this.
Hi,
Yes, it was I that reported a bug, and got it confirmed by Mitsubishi. I don't think this relates to the OP issue though. The bug I found is simply that when you use the car's charge timers the preheat power ONLY comes from the battery even if connected to the mains AND even if the time of preheat is within the charge time window.
Kind regards,
Mark

Back