Possible 4WD fault?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, in hindsight that would have been best.
But found this threat first when looking for Weight Distribution Hitches.
Then found the other more appropriate threat... So I put in the reference... :oops:

As to the topic of this threat; did anyone do the boat ramp pull test with spinning wheels and let the S-AWC kick in?
Or did someone do the same straddle test as with the ES AWC video?
This video from the earlier modelhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxhdFGmbk8k seems to fail, but it's unclear if the driver turned off the S-AWC?
It's questionable what the driver tries to prove here, as there is no commentary about the testing...
(p.s. Don't watch all of this video, it's pointless... :cry: )

So what's the consensus :?:

Wow, this thread just frighten me...

I'm planning to replace my 2010 V6 4x4 outlander with a 2018 PHEV one....

But since i like fishing, i overn find myself on dirty/wood road to cross cliff and put the boat in water in all kind of condition far from the nice ramp we may find on big lakes..
I'll go to get the actual weight of my boat/gear but i think it is around 650KG... in Canada the outlander PHEV is ranker to tail up to 650KG.

I already saw that anything that can't really lock on 4x4 is kind of useless in dirt to get the boat off the water, i saw a big honda pilot being unable to get my boat out of the water where i don't have trouble with my outlander... it seemed to be all about traction or the abscence of it. The "integral traction" cannot react properly on bad roads with big rock or to get boat out of the water with tire on dirt.

Do you know if S-AWC is better now on 2018 model than it was in 2016?
Do you see a problem if the rear of the vehicule need to be in water in order to get the boat off the trailler correctly? I do that regularly with my current outlander V6... having water above the exhaust and never had any issue but i'm perplex to do that with an electric vehicule? any comments on that?

Yes it is better; it counteracts cross-axling with the ABS sensors. However. it still cannot compete with a real 4x4.

Looking forward to the end of my three year lease period in december!

PHEV "4x4" Great Success!!! (pronounced with a Borat tone) :lol:

https://youtu.be/V0aePa53YCY

Looking very much forward to the Model 3 (hoping for a hitch!), not going to miss my PHEV -ever.

I cannot understand people getting all het up.. This is not an offroader, it is a softroader, and pretty good at it. If you want to take your Mitsu into the Gobi destert, buy a diesel Pajero.

jaapv said:
I cannot understand people getting all het up.. This is not an offroader, it is a softroader, and pretty good at it. If you want to take your Mitsu into the Gobi destert, buy a diesel Pajero.

We got stuck multiple times with the MY2017 PHEV where the MY13 Renault Koleos (AWD) didn’t (some cross axle, and mostly some inclines where the PHEV can’t start to move without some tricky manœuvre to get some inertia).

Maybe you should be able to hear that, as my dealer should be able to understand that this is a work vehicle (in my case) and that a VW Polo really can’t go where we need to :) (and yes some people at the dealer can’t understand that).

No offense intended, just wanted to expose the situation where we had no clue that the PHEV would perform worse in some conditions where the Koleos had no problem. For us, they we’re both 2 AWD SUV.

jaapv said:

In Sweden the Outlander PHEV was promoted as an offroader by a famous seven summit climber Renata Chlumska.

I had no intentions of going to the Gobi desert or any other desert. I choose the PHEV for its marketed 4WD to be able to go fishing! But with this car i cannot use it for towing without the risk lf getting stuck. Not so much more to be said about its 4WD capabilities other than that it sucks. :-(

I don't know Mr.Chlumska. But I fear his expertise may not extend to things automotive. Precious few cars can be found on the top of mountains.

At the risk of being boring, IMHO the PHEV was never intended to be a real off-roader (despite how local importers may have marketed it :evil: ) but a "Chelsea Tractor" for urban "green warriors". Its mud etc. capabilities restricted to not get stuck on the Public School rugby pitch on a Saturday afternoon. Anything else is a bonus :lol:

If I were to go by celebrity endorsements I would have a large collection of unusable stuff.
I still have a substantial one - but entirely by my own fault :D

jaapv said:
I don't know Mr.Chlumska. But I fear his expertise may not extend to things automotive. Precious few cars can be found on the top of mountains.
That comment is a bit silly, Jaap. They brought in a celebrity to put more weight behind the message and make people literally buy it. What is the last time you saw a car being promoted by somebody that actually knows about cars? Or, for that matter, what is the last time you saw a Formula 1 driver but his own groceries? ;)

The world I live in uses celebrities with a photographic reputation for marketing. People like Seal, Dmitry Medvedev, Queen Elisabeth, etc. All good photographers in their own right. They tried Paris Hilton, but that backfired in a gale of laughter. The car industry seems to have a bit to learn...

greendwarf said:
At the risk of being boring, IMHO the PHEV was never intended to be a real off-roader (despite how local importers may have marketed it :evil: ) but a "Chelsea Tractor" for urban "green warriors". Its mud etc. capabilities restricted to not get stuck on the Public School rugby pitch on a Saturday afternoon. Anything else is a bonus :lol:
Found this on one of the official websites: "Superb off-road capabilities". That goes a little bit beyond "soft roader". I think you can han hardly blame people for being disappointed.

Yes, but this is the newer version, SAWD, which addresses cross-axling. Our older versions don't have that, nor the one that the poster with the boat trailer refers to.
Anyway, even if the drive train is a bit more suitable, it still lacks ground clearance and suspension travel to do a proper off-road job.

Sure, you got a point there. But on an Outlander PHEV FB page people have been complaining about lack of power / torque. Initially I could not relate to it, but from tests done by several people, including me, it turns out that the motors can deliver a lot of torque at low speed but only during a very limited time. Maybe not long enough to get you out of trouble, when off roading.

Back