Possible purchase

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilTXJ

Hi.

I am thinking of getting a PHEV on my company car scheme as the tax break makes it vey attractive.

The one thing I am not sure about is range / consumption. My daily commute is a 60 mile round trip into the centre of Edinburgh and involves no motorways or dual carriageways but twisty A roads before hitting town.

I have seen a range of 30 miles is quoted but is this realistic and when the battery is dead what is the mpg of the petrol engine.

Thanks.

NeilTXJ said:
Hi.

I am thinking of getting a PHEV on my company car scheme as the tax break makes it vey attractive.

The one thing I am not sure about is range / consumption. My daily commute is a 60 mile round trip into the centre of Edinburgh and involves no motorways or dual carriageways but twisty A roads before hitting town.

I have seen a range of 30 miles is quoted but is this realistic and when the battery is dead what is the mpg of the petrol engine.

Thanks.

I think the battery distance is better on twisty roads than motorways and 25 to 30 on a full charge is very achievable. I have found mpg on a long run 30 to 33mpg.
If you can charge while at work then that would be it really cost effective.

Alan

alan said:
NeilTXJ said:
Hi.

Thanks.

I think the battery distance is better on twisty roads than motorways and 25 to 30 on a full charge is very achievable. I have found mpg on a long run 30 to 33mpg.
If you can charge while at work then that would be it really cost effective.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Have asked about charging at work but no response yet and doubt will be able to but if I can get half the journey on one charge would be good. Current family car is a Pug 4007 where I get between 30 & 35 mpg so not much difference

On a 60 mile trip, starting with a full charge, I'd think 45-50 mpg should be easily obtainable. I did 200 miles last weekend on a mix of dual and single carriageway A-roads, and returned 43 mpg. Dual carriageway was about 50% of the journey, cruising at about 65mph. Don't forget, once the battery is depleted, the petrol engine will run to "top it up", besides driving the electric motors, and when there's a bit of charge, you go back to electric drive. So at the end of my drive, I'd actually driven 56% of it on electric. How heavy is your right foot? ;)

Regulo said:
On a 60 mile trip, starting with a full charge, I'd think 45-50 mpg should be easily obtainable. I did 200 miles last weekend on a mix of dual and single carriageway A-roads, and returned 43 mpg. Dual carriageway was about 50% of the journey, cruising at about 65mph. Don't forget, once the battery is depleted, the petrol engine will run to "top it up", besides driving the electric motors, and when there's a bit of charge, you go back to electric drive. So at the end of my drive, I'd actually driven 56% of it on electric. How heavy is your right foot? ;)

Thanks. I actually have a light right foot when commuting as like the challenge of trying to get best mpg possible - no point trying to go fast as to busy.

I was thinking the most economical way to drive would e to use the petrol engine on the A roads and save the charge for the city driving. If the charge would cover say 25 miles that would leave 35 miles for the petrol engine and if consumption is say 30mpg then think that should work out over 50mpg if my simple maths is right.

Can you get better consumption by playing around with he drive modes or does it make little difference and may as well just leave it to control it's self.

I've found the car to be pretty good at managing things for itself. I don't think it's worth the trouble of fiddling endlessly with settings to get a few extra mpg at most. If you use the save button, you'll find the car again tries to maintain the charge at the set point by switching between petrol and electric - useful if you have city streets to negotiate at the end of your trip. Using "Save" at say 10 miles EV range left, you see the range vary between 9 and 12 miles (for example), as the petrol engine runs and stops. Not sure if it's that beneficial to save EV range for city driving - I don't do cities! I do make the "Eco" button my friend, but others seem to think it makes little difference. Can't say for sure, I haven't had the car for that long. Winter may force my hand on that one, I like my heat.

Back