Real mpg / economy ???

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anko said:
Did you start your test run with same SOC as you ended it with? On 15 miles, change in SOC kan make quit a difference.

Yes, took charge down to 30% before commencing

I might be slightly changing tack, I've had the car for two weeks tomorrow, delivery mileage 6 miles, filled with petrol on delivery, range on dash for petrol 406 miles, now reading about 320 miles, yet the fuel gauge ( the blue one on the speedo) hasn't moved at all. I've done mostly electric driving with the odd bit if welly, air con on if needed ( I'm not paying 30 grand for a car to sweat my proverbials off).

The question... Have I used any petrol?

Dave13 said:
I might be slightly changing tack, I've had the car for two weeks tomorrow, delivery mileage 6 miles, filled with petrol on delivery, range on dash for petrol 406 miles, now reading about 320 miles, yet the fuel gauge ( the blue one on the speedo) hasn't moved at all. I've done mostly electric driving with the odd bit if welly, air con on if needed ( I'm not paying 30 grand for a car to sweat my proverbials off).

I've found the predicted range is next to useless and normally way under (by as much as 100 miles) what I actually get. You can do 400+ miles on a full tank but my range hardly ever says more than 350 and I drive like a grandad!

anko said:
Guys, TS explicitly said:

Mutley66 said:
I know many have advised it is difficult to answer as it's linked to the electric mode but surely there are real figures out there on the mpg of the petrol engine alone? I'm hoping someone can advise what mpg they are getting in there vehicle?

So, let's not make things more complicated then they are ... for once ;)

What's complicated about establishing the mpg of a petrol engine ??? !!!

Even if you assume that the battery SOC is "empty" the petrol engine can drive the car either through the generator or directly clutched to the front wheels, depending on speed etc. So I suspect even that makes the mpg hard to measure.

PeterGalbavy said:
Even if you assume that the battery SOC is "empty" the petrol engine can drive the car either through the generator or directly clutched to the front wheels, depending on speed etc. So I suspect even that makes the mpg hard to measure.

It also alternately charges the battery a bit, then flips to EV mode for a mile or so - driving on a completely flat battery, it will still report EV operation of 30% or more.

maby said:
PeterGalbavy said:

It also alternately charges the battery a bit, then flips to EV mode for a mile or so - driving on a completely flat battery, it will still report EV operation of 30% or more.

Yes, but as that's a product of the ICE output the overall mpg returned will still be largely accurate

duplo said:
maby said:
PeterGalbavy said:

Yes, but as that's a product of the ICE output the overall mpg returned will still be largely accurate
Exactly. That's what I meant by making it more complicated than it needs to be. As long as you start and end a trip (in terms of the trip computer, not in terms of a real trip) with almost same SOC, MPG reported over the trip wil be fairly accurate. Taking into account how much electricity was added or what the E percentage was, complicates matters beyond what TS was asking for.

Dave13 said:

Yes you have used petrol. The blue gauge is (also) very inaccurate - typically it moves very slowly for the first 'half' of the tank, and then increasingly quickly (in my experience) through the second half. You still won't have used much petrol, though, that's the important thing!

Car now done 4k miles and the mpg depends on what it is doing.

Round town, local trips 20-30 miles the car uses no fuel.

Work is 175 miles away and the car returns just over 40mpg and that is with a 15 min stop for a quick charge and breakfast.

This weekend done another trip of 150 miles hit 42mpg, all the family and no charge on the way.

Car is so quiet and smooth to drive the father in law is thinking about ditching his £74k BMW. Big gripe for him is the loud tyre noise.

Back