Regenerative Braking set to zero seems best for mpg

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george

After experimenting with default value (2) and zero (0), I concluded that the default regenerative braking is always detrimental for mpg. Set always to zero after switch on. Your driving habit will slightly change and mpg will increase. I use regenerative braking paddles only for long slopes.
Just try...

george said:
After experimenting with default value (2) and zero (0), I concluded that the default regenerative braking is always detrimental for mpg. Set always to zero after switch on. Your driving habit will slightly change and mpg will increase. I use regenerative braking paddles only for long slopes.
Just try...

+1

I think it is true, but I find the default setting more pleasant to use and well worth the minimal premium in electricity use.

jaapv said:
I find the default setting more pleasant to use

Definitely agree - lets not forget that you always take your foot off the gas to slow down and not necessarily to brake. I cant really see how mpg can be affected whatever the setting - Driving style has to be a factor, but surely less braking has to be better as you are not scrubbing off speed and converting it to heat ?

RazMan said:
jaapv said:

Definitely agree - lets not forget that you always take your foot off the gas to slow down and not necessarily to brake. I cant really see how mpg can be affected whatever the setting - Driving style has to be a factor, but surely less braking has to be better as you are not scrubbing off speed and converting it to heat ?

B0 doesn't necesseraly implies more breaking, anyway.

But it implies definitely another way to drive : more anticipation to avoid using the brake pedal (but if using, it is not necesseraly in converting to heat, it can convert only to electricity).
And more anticipation is more mpg.

Trying it is understanding it, I think ;)

But I agree with you about the more pleasant feeling in B2 ...

RazMan said:
jaapv said:

Mpg will be affected by which setting you use, depending on traffic and different type of roads.

It's more efficient to reduce EV use, than to use it and then regenerate it.
In B0, when you ease off, you effectively freewheel.
In B2, when you ease off you slow down more than B0, while regenerating. You then have to go back on the throttle earlier, using battery power. It's logical that you cannot put back more energy than you use without using ICE.

Kim said:
B0 gives you such a nice feeling for the weight of your car and the kinetic energy behind it...
Which is fine when you are in a spaceship trying to reach Mars. :lol: I prefer a more responsive car in the daily give-and-take of busy traffic.

jaapv said:
Kim said:
B0 gives you such a nice feeling for the weight of your car and the kinetic energy behind it...
Which is fine when you are in a spaceship trying to reach Mars. :lol: I prefer a more responsive car in the daily give-and-take of busy traffic.
I know what Kim means though and in "flowing" traffic I use B0 and like the "solid" feel and energy retention. Once traffic starts closing in then yes, I move the B value up.

MHS said:
It's more efficient to reduce EV use, than to use it and then regenerate it.
In B0, when you ease off, you effectively freewheel.
In B2, when you ease off you slow down more than B0, while regenerating. You then have to go back on the throttle earlier, using battery power. It's logical that you cannot put back more energy than you use without using ICE.
This is exactly my experience and quite logical too.

B2 by default must be MMs way to mimic how a regular petrol/diesel runs.

Back