Roof Bar Options?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeds

I've never used the 'flush' roof rails before so have no idea how they work.

How quick is it to fit and remove the roof bars?

Are some manufacturers 'foot' kits easier/harder than others?

I will use the roof regularly to transport windsurfing kit, but don't want the bars permanently fitted if the fuel economy difference means not getting home from work on EV only.

Probably getting ahead of myself shopping for accessories before the car arrives, but it's a way to manage the excitement!

Hi. Just got my car on Thursday and brought the 2 adapter packs from thule 110 uk pounds and fitted my old thurle aero bars. All ok. To fit and remove you need to unlock the cover and then use the hex tool to undo 2 bolts, on each of the 4 feet.

When fitting the bars it does recommend tightening to 4 Nm but as I do not have the correct tool I just guessed

The are 4 pairs of holes (with covers) on the car approximately where you fit the roof bars but I have not found a use for them with the thurle system

Hope it helps

Jon.

My existing Atera bars (from http://www.roofbox.co.uk) fitted both my BMW Touring and Volvo XC90 so I hoped that they might fit the PHEV or at least only require a different foot but unfortunately not. So I was going to buy a new set for the PHEV but they weren't available in time for my ski trip so I ended up buying the more expensive Whispbar also from the roofbox company. I went for the flush fitting (no bar extensions) and they look very neat on the car and are very quick to fit and remove - 5 minutes tops. The mounting brackets have pins that lock into the 4 pairs of holes (mentioned by Jon) so they are very secure when fitted. One thumb nut on each foot to secure and with locking covers. They're not cheap (about £180) but they are well made and as advertised they didn't produce any wind noise.

Am about to buy some roof bars for the PHEV, but all the ones I see appear to be quite wide compared to what I am used to. Do I need to buy some kinda adapter like wider u-bolts or is there a clever way to do it? I've a standard Exodus (Halfords) roof box.

The wider bars in general have a track in them, and you get an adapter to fit your box to the track.

You can get square bars from Thule.

I went for the Whispbars from roof box company and some t-track adapters from Halfords. Waiting for delivery on the bars then see how I get on.

Received the bars. Fitting went relatively smoothly. Was confused in the middle when I didn't realise that the feet that come on the bars are being removed won't be used for the PHEV.

So in summary the fitting is ...

Unpackage and lay out neatly. Couldn't find a guide to explain what the different screw types were, but it became obvious since there is 4 of one and 8 of the other.

Adjust width to suit front and back. Bit confusing at first but the lengths are at the back of the instructions and its pretty obvious if you lay the bars onto the rails if its a good fit.

Remove default feet and put somewhere safe. Requires bit of thumb work to push them out. You may lose skin. You won't need them again for this car.

Fit new feet. Again bit confusing until I realised that there is a left and a right to these. If it doesn't fit then you've got the wrong one. You should be able to use the supplied hex tool rather than an allen key even though the angle is a little tight.

Remove fillers from roof rails and put somewhere safe. Small screwdriver / minimal effort.

Secure rail to car. At this stage I worked out that what the gaskets / shields were for that came in a separate bag. soft barrier between the metal part that locks into holes on rail and the rail itself.

Re-attach the locking covers. At that stage i realised that there was a provided spanner/allen key attached to the insides of the covers. Don't know how I managed to miss those! Didn't need them.

So I lost 20 minutes with the two different sets of feet as it wasn't obvious to me that they didn't form part of this installation. Other than that went smoothly. Started in daylight. Ended in darkness.

Back