Routeing cables above windscreen

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterGalbavy

I noticed yesterday that there are two cable sized notches in the felt roof above the rear view mirror. I am guessing this is either for some ventilation to stop mould or more likely for cable routeing (sic - we spell it with an 'e' in the UK :) ).

Anyone know - even better have diagrams of pictures - what the correct way to route a cable from a GPS unit down to the dash for power? In my case a Garmin Nuvicam, but generally?

Probably not the "correct" way, but I (and most others, apparently) have routed the cable by tucking it under the headlining, across to the passenger door pillar, tuck behind the rubber trim, behind the panel under the glove box and then out to the ciggy lighter socket. Surprisingly easy to do, and unobtrusive.

I have a dash cam mounted next to the rear-view mirror.This needs a micro-USB cable for power, so I bought a flat USB cable (commonly called a 'noodle' cable) and did as Regulo describes above to route it down to an adapter sat in the cigarette lighter socket.

Dead easy to do, I just needed to fix it up somehow on the underside of the glove box and used cable ties with self-adhesive bases.

Stvtech said:
Dead easy to do, I just needed to fix it up somehow on the underside of the glove box and used cable ties with self-adhesive bases.
Did you not release the cover under the glovebox? The cable can then be laid in there, and the cover replaced. You can "lose" a load of excess cable in there, as well!

Regulo said:
Did you not release the cover under the glovebox?
Errr, no. Thought it might be air ducting or something like so may of my previous vehicles that have had such ducting under the glovebox. Mine was a quick and dirty fix, after the cable fell down when merely taped to the underside ;)

At least now anyone else reading this thread will know how to do a better job :)

After all your help I think the Garmin cable - with integrated traffic radio antenna - may not be long rnough for the whole route around. Not sure if a normal mini USB extender will work - they may do odd things with the pins for the antenna - but I will go look for one anyway as the cost will not break the bank.

I did the same for my Dashcam.

May be worth noting, you really need a 3m long cable to run it the route described.

Back