SatNav - Doesn't have roads...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarBoy

Drove to Bognor Regis today, all was fine, followed the signs to get to the seafront.

Driving home, I used the sat nav for the very first time.

Sat nav doesn't have a bunch or roads, roads that must have been there for many many years given the number of patches, hence it said I was driving through fields.

Is the SatNav based on the AA book of the road, 1978 edition?

Not happy!

You be careful out there...it's lambing season in the northern Hemisphere!

On a technical note..any road in the UK that isn't full of potholes is too new to be featured on a satnav.

I hope that clears everything up for you.

;)

JimB

I thought the SatNav problem was just an AUS issue. In AUS, some places don't even have highways or roads shown. I did find that sometimes if you zoom into 50m scale that more info is shown, but at highway speeds, this is only a few seconds, and it is next to useless. I have had the crumb trail on a blank screen, so there was no more map data with the map upgrade. MMCS seems to show better info for the cities.

Claymore said:
On a technical note..any road in the UK that isn't full of potholes is too new to be featured on a satnav.

Hi JimB

Funnily enough, we found West Sussex to have terrible potholes!

The Outlander laughed at those though, yay for fat tyres. Whereas my Focus would have had required all passengers to have a new set of teeth.

Like you I was wondering where the roads had gone, but as Gwatpe says, zoom in and they should appear.
As you will see elsewhere on the forum I and others think the PHEV satnav is CREPE!.
Very old technology and far too over complicated. If a Garmin needed a handbook the size of the one for the PHEV. it would be bigger than the instrument.

Zooming in should do the trick. Also if you have voice guidance on you will hear "Take the second left" even though you might not be able to see the first left because the map scale is too coarse.

gwatpe said:
I thought the SatNav problem was just an AUS issue. In AUS, some places don't even have highways or roads shown. I did find that sometimes if you zoom into 50m scale that more info is shown, but at highway speeds, this is only a few seconds, and it is next to useless. I have had the crumb trail on a blank screen, so there was no more map data with the map upgrade. MMCS seems to show better info for the cities.
I doubt whether one would drive at highway speeds on roads that only show up at higher magnification.

Even if a road is not shown on the map zoomed out (to avoid extreme clutter), it will show up on the road name bar.

Bladevane said:
Zooming in should do the trick. Also if you have voice guidance on you will hear "Take the second left" even though you might not be able to see the first left because the map scale is too coarse.

Was zoomed in quite a bit ... definitely nothing there! It's on Google maps though :)

Found some more info, opened December 2014, it's the "North Bersted Bypass".

So maybe you just need an update - Navteq relies on timely input by the road authorities, which may be lacking from time to time.

jaapv said:
gwatpe said:
I doubt whether one would drive at highway speeds on roads that only show up at higher magnification.

Even if a road is not shown on the map zoomed out (to avoid extreme clutter), it will show up on the road name bar.

I was driving on a highway, even though it was unsealed, and it did not show on the GPS, until the 50m scale was selected. Posted a pic on the AUS roadtrip thread last year.

The important info lost with this MMCS GPS is that sometimes there is no useful info about where a road may be going. The name that may appear is of little value, when there are no other roads shown.

I have a backup GPS and I manage with it.

Well, yes, on my previous car a Navteq-based system was unable to get me out of a village and drove me in circles around the church after guiding me there in the first place, about 35 miles off-course, by missing a bit of road further on. I was pretty annoyed at the runaround and 45 minute delay it caused me. The new version in the MMCS is very much better, I find. My Jaguar was totally unable to find its way in the UK from time to time, go figure.

The regulations related to operation of a satnav while driving mean that I seldom use the auto navigation components. Just having the map up on display, hopefully showing the side roads coming up is more suited to my needs. A quick glance at the map on display will give a good enough indication of where you want to go. The problem is not just about new roads, particularly motorway ramps etc, not appearing on the maps, but also highways that have been in the same place for 50 or more years that don't appear on the maps.

Bring back some form of navigation changes while still driving. Maybe steering wheel buttons for selection would help. Don't think voice activation is quite there yet.

Yep same problem in France, roads missing on the map and won't recognise my street name when trying to input the information on the "home" directory.
Dealer tells me an upgrade of the map for Europe is on its way..............

jaapv said:
It is there already - I had mine updated a couple of weeks ago.

I assume you have to pay for an update? I know for my Nissan Qashqai i was able to purchase the sd card on one of those sites for allot cheaper than the dealers. would this maybe be the same case?

Thanks

Here maps want to rip us off for £149. Shame they don't realise you can buy a stand alone GPS unit with lifetime map updates for less than that. When is some enterprising user going to hack into the MMCS and provide us with reasonable cost map updates? And the opportunity to input our own POIs?

Back