Saving Money After An Accident

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverfuel

Now I have been ultra careful with my car - it is my pride and joy. But today I had to make a decision, on a narrow country lane (half a mile from my house), as a van driver, who was on his phone, veered across the road towards my car. The choice was put the car into a 6 ft irrigation channel, let him hit me full on or move over as close as I dare to the edge of the Tarmac and hope for the best.

I did the latter, slowing down to about 20 mph but still suffered a full force hit on the drivers wing mirror - very loud, very scary. The van continued without stopping.

I was on my way to a pre arranged meeting so couldn't stop to record the scene, but had to stop at the level crossing at one end of my village, where I got out and started to assess the damage. The mirror was cracked in 8 places, mostly single cracks, with 1 spider crack and the upper plastic cover (pearl white in my case) was hanging off.

Did my meeting and went home for a proper look at the damage. I tried all the up/down/left/right functions from the driver door switches, tried heat, fold, auto fold - all worked fine. So I determined the only thing I needed was the plastic cover and the glass mirror part.

I phoned my local Mitsubishi dealer with my requirements. They came back to me with a cost of £324.33 for a complete drivers door mirror unit. That didn't include fitting!

I explained that all I needed was the plastic cover, and the mirror glass, and, after two hours they came back with a better price:

Cover: £90
Glass: £74.40

Total parts £164.40.

Here's the big one - fitting costs (labour) £212.40

Total cost £376.80 - for a plastic cover and a mirror glass. REALLY - I have owned cars that lasted 5 years or more for less than the price of that! (If mitsupplier is reading this, please either verify the figures or tell us the real trade figures - privately if necessary).

So at first I considered getting a set of chrome cover replacements off ebay - £36, but I don't like bling, and it would need the door handles matching to make it look ok.

So I took the cover off carefully. Collected as many of the broken internal plastic clips as I could find and set off into the house to find some modelling glue (my sons - I'm not a weirdo - sorry Claymore).

I glued 3 clips back on in the right places, and fixed a hairline crack from the inside that came from the inwards most point of the indicator lens socket, upwards (what would be the most visible damage as it would gather dirt if it wasn't sealed).

The main damage (which would be less visible if fixed) to the cover was a complete separation of the stringer section where the end of the indicator lens comes close to the bottom black housing. This is what caused the entire cover part to dislocate and hang off precariously.

I again fixed this with fast set modelling glue, enduring that I did it from the inside and a bead of glue came through onto the painted side to prevent dirt/ moisture got in the joint. I then spent 10 mins drying everything with a hairdryer.

After scratching off the excess glue on the visible side with my fingernail, the damage would only be noticeable to someone who knew it was there. I refitted the cover - tested it, looks like normal, T cut brought the black impact mark out, without affecting the paint (metallic pearl white). So £90 saved so far.

I looked on the interweb and found a couple of sites that deal specially in wing mirrors, neither of them do a full unit for the Outlander but they do stock mirror glass for it. You can either buy a cheap stick over the top version for £10.99 delivered, or you can co for a mirror glass with a backing plate for about £17.50. I tried to see how the fixings worked to get the existing backing plate out, but I think you must need special tools for the top, bottom and window sides.

So I went for the £10.99 version, I will see how I go when I fix it. If I am not happy I will replace it with a new mirror plus backing plate at some point. Saving £51.01

Now I've done it myself - 10 mins cleaning and glueing / refitting.
5 mins on the internet - ordering & researching
I am assuming 5 mins to clean existing broken mirror, and apply new one.

So, 20 mins effort (maximum) saving another £212.40 in Mitsubishi Labour Costs.

That's £637.20 per hour by the way.

If you need the parts - I found mine cheapest (no delivery etc) at cardoormirrors.com in the UK

But the are other companies out there like:
Mister-auto.co.uk
Wingmirrorman.co.uk
Carwingmirror.co.uk
Wingmirrorshop.co.uk
Wingmirrorsworld.co.uk

Halfords as well.

Sorry non UK Guys for only posting UK links, but just put "Mitsubishi Outlander Phev Wing Mirror" into your search engines - I am presuming that you will get a local country list.

By the way there is a breaking PHEV on ebay with only 5000 miles - MY15 pre facelift in white. Call 07760642898 - I spoke to him today, already sold the drivers door mirror, but still has lots of parts left. New drive battery anyone?

I would have though hope for a breaker. We have an old Outlander (C-Crosser) and the passenger mirror became a bit slack, after years of automatic folding no doubt and rattled annoyingly at speed.

I sourced one from a breaker on Ebay in the right colour, good as new for about £60 fitting was an absolute doddle, pop off a bit of trim inside, 3 small bolts, a couple of connectors tucked in there, half an hour job.

Well done, Neverfuel, that's the spirit I like to see! Expected nothing less from a Yorkshireman!! ;) . Got a dashcam? Really should have one. Next time it might be more serious, God forbid, and dashcam evidence can be to your advantage in any liability dispute.

Main dealer prices are ridiculous, in my opinion. Hundreds of pounds for a bit of moulded plastic and a bit of glass? Outrageous. But I suppose we have to pay for the plush showrooms and fully-kitted service centres (used to be workshops). Frankly, I feel manufacturers make most of their profits from parts and servicing. There can't be a great margin on the cost price of a new car? Or is there? Discuss.

Regulo said:
Frankly, I feel manufacturers make most of their profits from parts and servicing. There can't be a great margin on the cost price of a new car? Or is there? Discuss.

Certainly that was Ford's business model when my father worked for them (in Dealer Sales, so he knew).

However, I was surprised that my dealer could replace the rear wheel & door skins and re-spray for £600 :) Mind you got oversparay all over rest of car inside & out :cry:

Neverfuel, that's a great bit of info.

For some years I've had the habit, when faced with narrow lanes, of folding the door mirrors and leaving them folded until I'm clear and out into a full twin track road.

That after a an identical incident to yours some years ago, fortunately then using a company car to which I was less emotionally attached.

Good tip nevertheless.

EDIT: Folding the mirrors in narrow lanes also helps keep them out of the various bits of tree and bush that would otherwise attack them if your nearly up on the verge trying to keep clear of oncoming traffic.

JimB

BobEngineer said:
I would have though hope for a breaker. We have an old Outlander (C-Crosser) and the passenger mirror became a bit slack, after years of automatic folding no doubt and rattled annoyingly at speed.

I sourced one from a breaker on Ebay in the right colour, good as new for about £60 fitting was an absolute doddle, pop off a bit of trim inside, 3 small bolts, a couple of connectors tucked in there, half an hour job.

I've used a site in the past which sources parts via a UK-wide network of breakers. Needed a replacement wing mirror due to vandalism on a previous car where the cover was ok, but the mirror and the casing was damaged. Put the details into this site and got emails from breakers with the required parts, phoned them to make payment and arrange postage and had the parts within days. https://www.247spares.co.uk/?gclid=...xw_FXAJ8Y7oAZoQeFxA3Q5pgKbbaosm1i4BoC2Znw_wcB

Back