Scotland Charge Points

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

Recieved my PHEV yesterday 16 plate GX3

Its a company car but after driving home in a 5 hour journey the car felt really good

My main point is regarding the Electrical charge points at service stations ect in Scotland

I have applied for a ecotricity card is this all I need or are there other company electricity cards I need in Scotland

any more tips would be great with car as I am a complete novice with hybrid ect

Looking at their Electric Highway map it does not appear that Ecotricity have ventured further north than Kinross on the M90 or Stirling on the M9. So you might want to consider others such as Polar but they have a monthly fee of £7.85 plus the cost of charging.

Dan said:
Recieved my PHEV yesterday 16 plate GX3

Its a company car but after driving home in a 5 hour journey the car felt really good

My main point is regarding the Electrical charge points at service stations ect in Scotland

I have applied for a ecotricity card is this all I need or are there other company electricity cards I need in Scotland

any more tips would be great with car as I am a complete novice with hybrid ect

Hi Dan.

I have 2 cards Ecotricity and CYC (charge your car) the latter also operate Ecotricity charger. I use ZAP MAPS to find where all the chargers and type of charge points are located in the UK and Europe, CYC card costs £20 a year, but you do get the second year free, I use this card all the time as I am located in Falkirk I have the choice of 4 charge point locations within 2 miles from my home + my home charger, which is a 32 amp charger.
You may also require a type 1 to type 2 charge cable for 22kw charging in some car parks, they come in 16 or 32 amp variation, I have the 32 amp cable and carry it in the car all the time, the cost is about £150.
Enjoy your Outlander,

Jim

Jim thanks for reply

I have registered for CYC ...few questions I dont mind paying a one off fee of £20 but are you paying for the charge or are most on a free tariff

As its a company car I have got authority to buy the bigger cable and claim

However they wont pay for a the instalation of a 32a charge point at home (I know there is a subsidy but I reckon it will still cost me £200

I do have a external standard outdoor socket so do you reckon its better to just use this when charging from home

+1 - had mine for 18 months, charge up most nights for an external 3pin socket and never regretted not getting a dedicated power point.

So far I have never had to pay for charging at a public charge point, but thinks may change in the future.

My charger was installed by SSE through the Scotish Energy Trust and the cost was £1000 which I claimed back 3yrs ago. At that time I had bought a Toyota Prius PHEV, which was good on fuel but only gave me 12 miles max on battery during summer weather.
As jaavp already said charging all night with a dedicated 13amp socket is the cheapest way forward, as the grant has been reduced due to BG installing charger to anybody who applied for them, even if they didn't have a PHEV or EV car.
The dedicated 13 amp socket point must be earthed with a ground spike, as modern home use a different earth system, which combines the neutral as a earth call a PME system.

I got a dedicated charging point installed by Jorro, didn't cost me anything as a result of the government grant and the top up from Energy Savings Trust. I got in just before the govt grant was reduced, and the EST funding removed, so if I was doing it now I'd not bother paying for the charging point and would just go with the 13 amp socket. Would be slightly more hassle than the dedicated charging point but not enough to justify paying the cost to get a point installed.

I have an Ecotricity card but havent used it yet. Plan on visiting Ikea at Straiton to try it out, as that way I'm only a few miles from home if anything goes wrong having read some of the stories on here ! If it works out, I'll use the Ecotrictity points at Durham or Gateshead services, as I go down to Yorkshire several times a year to visit family.

Jimc said:
The dedicated 13 amp socket point must be earthed with a ground spike, as modern home use a different earth system, which combines the neutral as a earth call a PMC system.

On what basis - this has never come up before :?:

Sounds weird to me.

Here in Oz, I have Earth and Neutral tied together at the main distribution board and two earth stakes.

One by the power meter out the front and another in the driveway around the back, as near as possible to the main distribution board in the laundry.

A somewhat Aussie thing... I've been advised in the past, that it's worth tipping a watering can over the Earth stakes once per month in summer, otherwise, weird things can happen...

This summer we've had so much rain that hasn't been an issue.

greendwarf said:
Jimc said:
The dedicated 13 amp socket point must be earthed with a ground spike, as modern home use a different earth system, which combines the neutral as a earth call a PMC system.

For a outside 13amp socket which the charging socket is classed as it must have a earth to ground and not to the modern consumer unit, which I have. Old house had live and neutral and a separate earth to ground.
When my charger was installed the electrical technician spent about 2 hour extra driving the stake into the ground.
Google electrical regulation for EV charging.

Jimc said:
greendwarf said:
Jimc said:

For a outside 13amp socket which the charging socket is classed as it must have a earth to ground and not to the modern consumer unit, which I have. Old house had live and neutral and a separate earth to ground.
When my charger was installed the electrical technician spent about 2 hour extra driving the stake into the ground.
Google electrical regulation for outside sockets.

Ah! I see, you are referring to proper weather proof sockets likely to get rained on rather than ordinary domestic ones accessible from outside - like in my meter cupboard in the car port :D

This is the regulation for installing a electrical charge point.

AMENDMENT 2 OF
THE 17TH EDITION
(BS 7671:2008) PUBLISHED
Requirements for supplies to electric vehicles are detailed in the new Section 722 of BS 7671:2008
Requirements for Electrical Installations.
By Geoff Cronshaw

AMENDMENT 2:2013 to BS 7671:2008
Requirements for Electrical
Installations was issued on 1 August 2013. Installations designed after 31 July 2013 are to comply with
BS 7671:2008 Amendment 2:2013.
This amendment introduces a new section, Section 722 (electric vehiclecharging installations), which specifies
requirements for the supplies to electric vehicles. Section 722 includes requirements for the type and current
rating of socket outlets, RCD protection, measures of protection against electric shock, IP rating of equipment, impact protection against mechanical damage, isolation and switching and fixing arrangements, etc.

The protective measures of obstacles, placing out of reach, non-conducting location and protection by earth-free local equipotential bonding are not be permitted. These measures are contained in Sections 417 and 418 of BS 7671:2008 and are not for general application. The protective measures of section 417 provide basic protection only and are for application in installations controlled or supervised by skilled or instructed persons. The fault protective provisions of Section 418 are special and, subject to control and effective supervision by skilled or instructed persons.
The protective measure of electrical separation is permitted, but must be limited to the supply of one electric
vehicle and the circuit must be supplied through a fixed isolating transformer complying with BS EN 61558-2-4.
The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 (as amended) permit the distributor tocombine neutral and protective functions in a single conductor provided that, in addition to the neutral to earth connection at the supply transformer, there are one or more other connections with Earth. The supply neutral may then be used to connect circuit protective conductors of the customer’s installation with Earth if the customer’s installation meets the requirements of BS 7671. This protective multiple earthing (PME) has been almost universally adopted by distributors in the UK as an effective and reliable method of providing their
customers with an earth connection.
Such a supply system is described in BS 7671 as TN-C-S. Whilst a protective multiple earthing terminal provides an effective and reliable facility for the majority of installations, under certain supply system fault conditions (external to the installation) a potential can develop between the conductive parts connected to the PME earth terminal and the general mass of Earth. The potential difference between true Earth and the PME earth terminal is important when body contact resistance is low and/or there is relatively good contact with true Earth. Contact with Earth is always possible outside a building and, if exposed-conductive parts and/or extraneous conductiveparts connected to the PME earth terminal are accessible outside the building, people may be subjected to a voltage difference appearing between these parts and Earth. Regulation 722.411.4.1 does not allow PME as a means of earthing for an electric vehicle charging point where the charging point or the vehicle is located outdoors except where 722.411.4.1(i) or 722.411.4.1(ii) or 722.411.4.1(iii) apply. There is an exception for a dwelling if none of (i), (ii), or (iii) is reasonably practicable. It is worth noting that in this regulation the meaning of ‘dwelling’ is restricted to a self-contained unit designed to accommodate a single household. Regulation 722.411.4.1(i) refers to a situation where a connecting point is supplied from a three-phase installation used to supply loads other than charging points and where the load is
sufficiently well balanced.
Regulation 722.411.4.1(ii) requires a very low resistance earth electrode to mitigate the effects of an open circuit
PEN conductor fault on the supply. Regulation 722.411.4.1(iii) also requires an earth electrode. Regulation
722.411.4.1(iii) is based on the installation requirements (from the 14th edition wiring regulations) for a voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker.
However, the device differs from the BS 842 voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker. A product standard for a protective device for the purposes of (iii) is being developed by BSI Committee PEL/23/1.
The touch voltage threshold of 70V mentioned in 722.411.4.1(i) and 722.411.4.1(ii) and 722.411.4.1(iii) is on
the basis that Table 2c (Ventricular fibrillation for alternating current 50/60Hz) of IEC 60479-5[ed1.0] gives a
value of 71V for both-hands-to-feet, in water-wet conditions with medium contact area (12.5cm2). Presence of water Any wiring system or equipment selected and installed must be suitable for its location and able to operate satisfactorily without deterioration during its working life. The presence
of water can occur in several ways, e.g. rain, splashing, steam/humidity, condensation, and at each location
where it is expected to be present its effects must be considered. Suitable protection must be provided, both during construction and for the completed installation. For example, Section 722 requirements for a connection point installed outdoors requires IP44 in order to protect against water splashes (AD4). The IP classification code, BS EN 60529:2004, describes a system for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. The degree of protection provided by an enclosure is indicated by two numerals.
The first indicates protection of persons against access to hazardous parts inside enclosures or protection of equipment against ingress of solid foreign objects. The second indicates protection of equipment against ingress of water.

Back