ScottishPower EV Tariff.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevines

Hi, has anyone signed up with the Scottish Power EV tariff? I’m consider it, but other’s views will be very welcome!

I haven’t look at any of these EV tariffs yet, but I also believe E.ON do one. Only moved to them recently on a fixed deal, but not as recently as getting my PHEV. I will investigate further as interested to know what advantages they offer over other tariffs.

we're not on that tariff, but there are plenty of similar ones around. You need to work out how much of your electricity will be used at the cheap rate, and how much at the higher "standard" rate. We usually use 8-12kWh overnight to charge the Zoe and 10-15kWh during the day as the PHEV usually charges then as well as the normal daytime activities. The savings for us are significant, but it will vary depending on your split.

thevines said:
Hi, has anyone signed up with the Scottish Power EV tariff? I’m consider it, but other’s views will be very welcome!

I have just looked at Scottish Power EV and, personally, I think there are better deals around. I have been on the OVO EV Everywhere tariff for 2 years and will probably renew with them. I pay 11p/kWh (ex VAT) whereas Scottish Power are quoting 16.5p/kWh. With OVO, they also include free Polar Plus membership (worth £7.99 a month) which gives you reduced charging prices at their (BP ChargeMaster) terminals as well as CYC (Charge Your Car). Also, they don't insist you take a smart meter at home, whereas ScottishPower do.

I also looked at Ecotricity which was comparable on household tariff and reduces the cost per kWh at motorway service areas from 30p / kWh to 15p.

If you don't charge whilst out and about, I suggest you find the one that is cheapest / most freebies! Otherwise, consider where you can take advantage of the public chargers and look at zap-map.com that shows where they are and who owns them. Finally, with Polar, you get 10 points per city you charge in per month. These roll over and you can then bid on taking an EV for a week, like a Tesla, etc. Not bid myself yet, but will be in the coming months.

BTW - if you choose to go with OVO, there is a referral link that means we both get something back. Here's mine, if you wanted to use it: https://ovoenergy.mention-me.com/m/ol/em0ea-gary-naylor

Hope that helps!

I already have Scottish power with smart meter and the ev tariff includes a rate of 4.7p/kWh midnight to 5am. Which is why it sounds tempting. They need half hourly readings to know the power pulled during the off peak 5 hours. Hence the smart meter.

thevines said:
I already have Scottish power with smart meter and the ev tariff includes a rate of 4.7p/kWh midnight to 5am. Which is why it sounds tempting. They need half hourly readings to know the power pulled during the off peak 5 hours. Hence the smart meter.
Hmm, that's interesting. I just looked again at the Scottish Power site and, for some reason, it is no longer offering that tariff for me even though I am going through the Electric Car Charging page. When I looked yesterday, it didn't show a reduced rate overnight either, so wonder if that is area / smart meter specific.

As a side note, I recall seeing a news article a while ago talking of incompatibility of smart meters between providers, they don't all support each others. So, while you can still switch, your smart meter might not work with another provider and it would revert to a standard dumb meter, or the new provider would install a new one (https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/can-i-switch-energy-suppliers-if-ive-got-a-smart-meter).

All that said, if you are getting 4.7p/kWh for 5 hours overnight, that would probably work out a better deal than the others. Why are these things never straightforward?!

Sometimes providers "hide" obligated features that aren't making pots of money, so ring up and ask.

My house is all electric, the usual UK off peak offering for overnight charging of storage heaters means you freeze by the next evening.

I spoke to my provider's energy expert and he recommended I use Economy 10 instead of the usual Economy 7.

This one gives short topups all through the day and evening.

He transferred me to Sales, who denied it existed.

Sooncd quoted their own energy expert they went away and "found" it.

Back