Seating

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sirlu10ent said:
Is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV going to feature a third row seat?

Probably not, but you can never tell if they maybe add it as an option in the future...

Chances are that the Outlander PHEV won't ever have a 3rd row seat, at least until a next generation design is released.
Currently, some of the rear electric motor drive components are in the spot where the 3rd row seats are in the non-phev models.

Mitsubishi chose to do this so that there was still a flat cargo floor, and the same cargo space as the non-phev Outlander with the 3rd row folded down.

I sort of wished for a 3rd row too, but I think a decent cargo area is important too - the Fusion Energi took a lot of flack for its tiny trunk because of the battery pack location.

It doesn't sound like a third row is possible. In the "details for US version" Mitsubishi says this:

Mitsubishi was very careful and specific in making sure the battery pack and the rear electric motor do not protrude into the passenger or cargo areas. The rear electric motor is, however, placed in the space that the optional 3rd row seats would be in if a gasoline Outlander was purchased with the option – that means the Outlander PHEV is a 5 passenger only.

ActionableMango said:
It doesn't sound like a third row is possible. In the "details for US version" Mitsubishi says this:

Mitsubishi was very careful and specific in making sure the battery pack and the rear electric motor do not protrude into the passenger or cargo areas. The rear electric motor is, however, placed in the space that the optional 3rd row seats would be in if a gasoline Outlander was purchased with the option – that means the Outlander PHEV is a 5 passenger only.

This is definitely one of the downsides of Mitsubishi Outlander because the majority of people expect an SUV to come with a 3rd row for their kids.I'm pretty sure that Mitsubishi is going to offer an option with a 3rd row seat because they are losing a considerable market share if they don't do it.

In my opinion it's not even a discussion, Motsubishi simply must offer 3rd row seats to Outlander buyers because most of them are buying a family car and that automatically means 3rd row seats.

As Dannyboy said there is probably going to be a 3rd row option when you are ordering the car via dealership.

BobMarin said:
In my opinion it's not even a discussion, Motsubishi simply must offer 3rd row seats to Outlander buyers because most of them are buying a family car and that automatically means 3rd row seats.

As Dannyboy said there is probably going to be a 3rd row option when you are ordering the car via dealership.

What can the dealer possibly do? The space for the third row seating is taken up by the rear electric motor.

The Japanese site (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/outlander) states that the PHEV, which is already being sold there, only has 5 seats :cry:

A Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV would be definitely more capacious if it had a third row. I don’t think that it’s possible to install it because the electric motor is placed exactly where a third row could be.

I don't think that the Outlander not having a third row of seats will impact on the number of sales as long as the vehicle lives up to all the promises...

I had owned Ford Galaxies for 12 years before taking delivery of my PHEV, and on the Sunday before picking up the PHEV on Monday I had all seven seats in use, but the economics of the PHEV make it a no-brainer...

It's costing me less to lease than a new Galaxy thanks to the £5,000 grant from the Government
The personal tax I'll pay (including ALL fuel) is capped at less than £100 per month compared to the Galaxy (which would be £350 plus per month without the fuel allowance)
No road tax to pay, my Galaxy cost £225 (out of taxed income, so this is the rough equivalent of around a £400 pa pay rise)
So far I have used no petrol for the 130 miles I've driven, my Galaxy would have used almost 4 gallons of Diesel = 18 litres @ £1.33 = £24 saved in fewer than 3 days
My drive to work is a 16 mile round trip, which I can comfortably do on a charge, so I will save around £650 pa on fuel (out of taxed income, so this is roughly equivalent to a £1,000 pa pay rise)

I just hope that the Government doesn't decide to pull the rug from under my feet on the benefit in kind tax!

Loving the PHEV, even with only 5 seats!

Back