Spare wheel and fussy ABS / Cruise

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonrh

I am planning a run down to Chamonix in the summer with the family and I hate the idea that we might get a flat and be stranded for hours on end waiting for someone to come and sort out a tyre by the side of the autoroute.
I find the whole idea of not having a spare and being self sufficient very alien.
Proper Alloy PHEV wheels and tyres on ebay etc seem to be very expensive so I was wondering what else might work to at least get me off the autoroute and get a new Pneu somewhere nearby?
I am presuming that the problems peopel have seen with the car misbehaving on mismatched tyres anywhere would be terrible with, say, a stock outlander's space saver?

Well, no space saver is intended to take you far or fast. The problem is simply the impact on boot space. Someone here posted a suggestion for a tyre repair kit last week that had proved successful for them - mine arrived over the weekend and looks promising.

Any alloy wheel (or indeed steel wheel) of the correct size and number of bolt holes wiill work.

I bought a set of cheaper alloys for my winter wheels, they are perfectly fine.

The only downside is unless you get one with the correct TPMS sensor and get it added to the cars setting you will get a warning message but for a spare wheel I would live with that,

The law in the EU however may not allow that so depends on where you are driving

Not quite ANY wheel with correct number of stud holes etc.
It must also have the correct PCD (Pitch circle diameter or spacing of stud holes and the correct off-set and Bore size (the hole in the middle.)
Have a look here.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/blog/performance/what-wheels-will-fit-my-car-the-dt-alloy-wheel-fitment-guide-2/
for explanation
and here for sizes and other wheels that are the same size. Buy from scrap yard or E-Bay. I have just picked up a Jazz space-saver spare for my girlfriend for £20 incl p&P on E-bay!
http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Mitsubishi/Outlander%20(2012%20-%20).html

Looks like i could get a Citroen C-crosser space saver (which is fairly obvious given they are the same underlying vehicle?) and a jack.
Keep it in the boot for the trip down (there is a locking room at our destination to chuck it in for the week) then either flog it or stow it on our return until the next long trip.
Rolling diameter is about 20mm different to the full size wheels so I would imagine I will get some kind of feedback from the car that all is not well but it will get me to the nearest town and tyre fitter.
The plugging kit would be OK but i remember getting a flat on the M20 in the past that happened at speed and by the time i could get on to the hard shoulder to stop, the tyre was way over heated and you would not have wanted or been able to go any further on it.

simonrh said:
Looks like i could get a Citroen C-crosser space saver (which is fairly obvious given they are the same underlying vehicle?) and a jack...................

...........The plugging kit would be OK but i remember getting a flat on the M20 in the past that happened at speed and by the time i could get on to the hard shoulder to stop, the tyre was way over heated and you would not have wanted or been able to go any further on it.

Curiously, perhaps, my 2016MY came with a jack.

You're right re high speed blowouts but I suspect many more punctures are slow burners that you or your workshop people discover whilst the vehicle is parked or up on the ramp (often the ubiquitous nail protruding).

I've had quite a few of the latter but only one of the former - in the third lane of the M1 at warp factor 8 with 4 on board and as you point out there wasn't much left of the tyre after we controlled our safe arrival on the hard shoulder. But that was nearly 20 years ago and at a time when I was doing 40,000 miles a year or more on business.

I'm not on commission but I'm glad I've got the plug kit now and thinking back to some of the nails my tyres picked up over the years wish I'd had it long ago.

JimB

Claymore said:
simonrh said:
Looks like i could get a Citroen C-crosser space saver (which is fairly obvious given they are the same underlying vehicle?) and a jack...................

...........The plugging kit would be OK but i remember getting a flat on the M20 in the past that happened at speed and by the time i could get on to the hard shoulder to stop, the tyre was way over heated and you would not have wanted or been able to go any further on it.

Curiously, perhaps, my 2016MY came with a jack.

JimB

I think they have all come with a jack - even if you are going to use the can of goop, you still need to raise the wheel off the ground to be able to find and remove the offending nail and to distribute the latex round the tyre.

Carnut wrote:
Greendwarf quoted:-
I have just picked up a Jazz space-saver spare for my girlfriend for £20 incl p&P on E-bay!
Strange way to refer to your car! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Girlfriend doesn't have a spare tyre and neither did the Jazz so it was a bargain! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (actually, that's a lie, she does, but don't tell her I have said so on a public forum :oops:)

Back