Split Gatorstrut

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickfly

Hello,
We have a 2014 PHEV in the UK and have been told that a GATORSTRUT is required for the front suspension because the original is split. Cost £890.
Can anybody tell me what that is.
Regards ..... G

The gaiters that cover the moving parts of the front struts/shocks split far too easily. You can ignore them, but they are there for a reason, and the seals will wear far more rapidly, so replacement is recommended. It can be done by any competent mechanic as there's no HV involved. But I'd suggest that the price quoted is extortionate unless they're replacing a whole load of other things at the same time.

Thanks for the answer.
I thought they would be the simple rubber gaitors but the price seemed to be way to high.

Mitsubishi Quote "Offside frontside gaterstruts are split - Part alone 889.20"

Regards ..... G

Get your local garage to quote - I would expect to pay well under half that fitted. I had it done a couple of years ago at a Mitsubishi garage during a service, and it was way less than that!

Hmm - perhaps part of the fallout from Mitsu withdrawal from Europe - have to be specially imported from Japan? Get them to quote you a non-Mitsu version.

Or, on an 8 year old car, just wait for the time when the struts themselves need changing, as they will already be well worn. :idea:

Thanks greendwarf,
The car is at Mitsubishi at the moment for the struts to be changed as the front end is bouncing everywhere. But they have said the gaitors are split and will cost £899 for the parts only!
They have added the gaitors as "optional" replacement.
Regards ..... G

See 'Front Shock Dust Cover Bellows Shreaded' post somewhere in Technical Discussions (with photos - although when I just viewed, the photos don't seem to work?). I think total cost for me was about £300 parts and labour to have rubber covers replaced - took about 2 hours - had top shock bearings replaced at the same time which were I think £50 of that cost. My front suspension is well maintaned though so it was easy to get all nuts and bolts off. Aftermarket rubber covers slightly better quality than Mitsubishi originals.

Back