Starting

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilf

I have a 4hs. The last two starts have proved a problem. Having gone though normal start up procedure - nothing just an orange transmission symbol. It is then asking me to press the brake the park and the shift (D) . Brake pedal very firm with little movement. Has anyone else experienced this? The car does start after this procedure. Car has done 500 miles. The battery was discharged on one occasion half on the other.

Maybe you have pressed the brake pedal a few times after stopping the car / before trying to start the car? I think this will firm up the break pedal in any car.

I get this occasionally, it seems to be a protective mode for various incorrect start-up sequences, for example it definitely happens if you try to select D or R before or whilst pressing start.

If you follow the instructions on the dash (not sure your sequence is right, I thought it was something like Foot Brake, Park Button, Start Button) then it should let you select D or R. I think the brake pedal will 'relax' at the same time. Maybe this latter is something to do with the regenerative braking system initialising.

I have also had this a few times and as maddogsetc says, I think it is possibly a safety feature to avoid false starts. With me, it happens when I get a little impatient and try to select a 'gear' too soon after pressing the brake pedal. It always seems to work after going through the sequence a little slower.

Many thanks for the responses. I hate to say I think it is due to being impatient and rushing!
I will go slower and do the sequence properly!
:oops:

I had the same problem recently. I tried asking the manufacture and they said it is due to incorrect start-up sequences. We just have to be very patient in starting the motor up.

Back