Sticky "ECO" mode button

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

It seems as though many drivers have a post power ON sequence of button presses that includes "enable ECO mode". Another candidate for automation of a drivers preference.

I have not been terribly concerned with ECO mode anymore. I have just stopped pressing the button. I have another spare sticky SAVE mode circuit that I can add to the ECO button. I will possibly just reduce the time the button has to be held to activate the memory toggle function. Might use a different activation / deactivation sound as well.

The chatter in different threads that have mentioned memorizing of driver preference settings has given me an excuse to test this ECO button as well.

I have had a go at getting access to the ECO button by removing the glovebox. My physiology will not allow my wrist and forearm to wriggle through the access holes to get to the back of the switch and push it out. I would need to remove the bulk of the dash to get access. The cabling seems to be well attached to the dash supports, with minimal free wiring behind the switch. IMHO this is not worth the effort.

I guess Mitsubishi will be the best option to upgrade the PHEV firmware to at least allow the driver to save their preferred ECO mode setting. I won't be holding my breath for this option to become available.

It "sticks" in the last position, ie if you had it enabled when you switched off, it would stay enabled when you switched on and not in the default off position. Saves you having to switch it on again when you start up, or forget to switch it on again.

(Oops, sorry, that was two sentences :) )

To clarify what I have done!!

My mod is a microprocessor system that the driver can store a preferred startup mode setting.

For instance. the driver may want the PHEV to always power ON in ECO mode. While the PHEV was ON, the driver would press and hold the ECO button. It would not matter if the PHEV was in ECO mode at the time. When the button is pressed and held, the microprocessor beeps every second. After 3 -5 beeps, program dependent, the microprocessor toggles a stored memory setting. The driver is alerted to the new setting with a particular tone. The driver then releases the button. The next time the PHEV is powered ON, the driver setting will be enabled. This may even be the default setting. The driver may change a preferred mode while driving by just pressing the button as normal. The key is that when the PHEV is powered ON, the memory mode setting will be enabled.

I had no way of directly interacting with the ECU in the PHEV, and at times the last mode setting may not be the setting the driver wanted the PHEV to power ON with.

It really would be ideal for MMC to get the engineers to work on an update. I have to add that not needing a setting screen that is only accessible when the car is in PARK with the handbrake ON is soooo good.

I'm hitting up some of the aftermarket chip tuners to see if they will start thinking about getting onto the Mitsu and correcting some of the shortfalls in the software design.

1. When I hit the eco button it not only stays in eco until I hit it again, it will also stop the ICE from starting.
For now I have to pull the ICE fuel pump fuse until I need to make a trip beyond the 20-25 miles or so electric range.
2. When I hit the cruise on/off button, it stays where I set it until I hit it again.
3. This might be a little harder to do but when I exit the car and move out of the keyless entry range, the doors lock
4. Maybe also difficult but when I drive off, lock the doors automatically.

I would be reluctant to go for any modified ECU, BCU, chip mod within any warranty period. I guess that chip modifiers would have a similar outlook.

I have never had a car that powers ON with cruise control enabled. Honda, or Nissan over the last 20 years. My aftermarket "CRUISE CONTROL" from the 1970's even did not.

I had a good try at accessing the back of the dash to free up the ECO button, but it is still illusive, so this will need to wait for another time.

I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble making Eco sticky unless you can also make it do something useful! The impact on running cost seems to be minimal

+1. I stopped using it as its only function appears to be to activate the little green Eco light on the dashboard.

jaapv said:
+1. I stopped using it as its only function appears to be to activate the little green Eco light on the dashboard.
and strangle throttle response. I don't use it either but when my daughters ride up front they switch it on "to be green daddy". I notice a definite detune but as for economy, nada.

anko said:
I guess most of us aren't using aircon (yet). Should have an impact there.

You still got snow on the ground??? My aircon is working hard a lot of the time!

anko said:
maby said:
anko said:
I guess most of us aren't using aircon (yet). Should have an impact there.

You still got snow on the ground??? My aircon is working hard a lot of the time!
Since you re so interested in performance, you better shut that off immediately! (Please forgive me. Couldn't help myself :oops: )

It certainly hits EV range, but I've not noticed any impact on performance. I'm afraid that I didn't spend £35,000 on a car that I would drive shivering 4 months of the year and sweating the other 8!

maby said:
It certainly hits EV range, but I've not noticed any impact on performance. I'm afraid that I didn't spend £35,000 on a car that I would drive shivering 4 months of the year and sweating the other 8!

Open the window?

greendwarf said:
maby said:

Open the window?

Oh, come on! That's what I had to do on my old Triumph Herald forty years ago! :)

maby said:
greendwarf said:
maby said:

Open the window?

Oh, come on! That's what I had to do on my old Triumph Herald forty years ago! :)

Bet you're not sweating today - 11c and raining here in Costa del Sarf Lundun :roll:

I've noticed many contributors saying the Eco button does very little. However, I live in the mountains, and I notice that on cold mornings when the heating is on (PHEV Instyle 2014), the ICE cuts in very often even when the batteries are fully charged. Seems like I'm asking too much power.
Putting the car in Eco mode prevents this.
It also seems to limit acceleration power, but that's not a problem when dropping the kids to school!

No, it doesn't. Does it? I mean, that could only be true if you were driving "on the edge" of what the battery can supprt (or within 4 -5 kW of what it can provide). And even then you could control this yourselves with your right foot and you would have the similar issue in the summer. Only just a little bit later.

I always use ECO (since December 2013) and I am totally suffering from the "start ice for heating" issue. For a moment I thought perhaps you have a 2016 model and they fixed it there, but no such luck.

BTW: How cold is cold? Is this after preheating?

The road conditions, especially the grade, impact heavily on power needs. The PHEV does seem to be very sensitive to the power needs with ICE operation typical, and I find that in the hilly conditions where I live, that ICE operation is quite normal on steeper climbs. I would have liked some control over this aspect, as have forum members like anko. The PHEV does easily default to ICE operations, and I suspect that the design engineers built the PHEV this way, to allow a smaller drive battery capacity to be used. Maybe with a bigger battery available, MMC or others may provide an option for driver controlled ICE operation, without the need to physically disable the ICE.

Back