Suggested improvements to PHEV displays

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

I know there is a topic on general improvements to the PHEV. General improvements are restricted to possibly only new models. Owners of existing PHEV's would benefit from upgrades to the Software and display screens, without having to buy a new vehicle.

I would like to see Mitsubishi software design engineers make changes to the MMCS and driver menu operations.

The present MMCS seems to need some major work, as well as minor work. The vehicle is a HYBRID and the operation of the electric and petrol components can be either stand alone electric, or series or parallel hybrid. None of the display screen actually show how much petrol is being consumed, and there is no number to glance at to show the electric power. The green dial that blurs is so vague. There is no kW indicator of how much power the generator is producing. There is no kW indicator of how much power the battery is absorbing. The car is dumbed down.

I would really like the power display to include L/100km and kWh/100km actual. [maybe 5sec averaged] I see no point in having so much screen real estate taken up by a dial gauge for the A/C and the TRIP mileage. These could be just an incremental bar graph on each side, with a number. There would then be space for 2 dials, one for petrol and the other for electric to be displayed together, side by side. a number in the middle of each dial would be useful, like the way the trip show L/100km in the centre now.

The linkage of history data should be common to the page the history was activated from. ie if the display was showing ECO, and then history was pressed, then the ECO history should be displayed, not some other history page.

I have found that my car continues to record mileage, when listening to the radio in ACCessory mode, when cleaning the car on the weekend. Don't think this is right.

An annoying feature happens when the petrol is running low. I reset a trip counter when the refuel icon happens, or at least take note of this smaller number. I use this to work out how far the car can go so we can work out the best place to refuel. Depending on the terrain etc, when the REFUEL icon stays on, the menus are locked out, so you can't access how far you have gone already. Don't really see the point in locking out display screens on the dash. My car still has at least 7L of petrol in the tank, that the ICE cannot use. Maybe the display tank fuel sensor is in the wrong place. There is no point in having reserve fuel in the tank if the fuel cannot be used. 7L in a 45L tank is a serious loss of range. Normal cars allow you to drive until you have only fumes in the tank. What is the maximum litres forum members have refuelled with?

I would hope that Mitsubishi consult drivers in an effort to improve how the displays work and what drivers see. I hope we are not stuck with the screens from the factory for the life of the car.

I think you need to delve deeper into the display modes of the MMCS. Some of the things you ask for can be displayed on the split screen.

For starters I'd be quite pleased if they would just make the functionality that is, or ought to be, there work properly (such as 3 figure mpg).

The petrol tank and battery charge level indicators could be more precise. The seem to drop in 1/6 or 1/8 steps. I would imagine the sensors that measure the levels are more precise and the display certainly has more pixels. Perhaps the firmware has 6 or 8 pre-loaded bitmaps and chooses which to display based on the sensor readings, as opposed to drawing the level to pixel accuracy.

Just been reading through this thread on another Mitsubishi forum - http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/how-unlock-mmcs-25583/page53/ - seems that the MMCS runs Windows CE and has been successfully hacked on some models at least - non-standard software is available. See http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/how-unlock-mmcs-25583/page3/#post213530 in particular.

I have no desire to replace the existing software with another. I believe that Mitsubishi have the best knowledge of the car and systems, so they need to be the first to provide solutions.

BTW during a drive in SAVE mode today, the battery range of my PHEV started out at 55km. During the first part of the drive it dropped down to 39-41km. Later, after some 4WD up and down steep windy tracks, it went up to 60km. Later the distance went down to 30km and by the time we arrived home, the distance was up to 45km. The battery gauge started at 16bars, ans then went down to 14bars, where it stayed until the last 4km when the car was operated in EV mode. Lost another 2bars in the last 4km. The drive was 120km and averaged 7.1L/100km petrol and 12.5kWh/100km on battery. Of the 120km, 116 was in SAVE mode and the battery indicated 14 or 15 bars. Most of the drive was 90-100kph on bitumen with approx 20km on 4WD tracks. The range had no real bearing on the indicated energy in the battery.

gwatpe said:
BTW during a drive in SAVE mode today, the battery range of my PHEV started out at 55km. During the first part of the drive it dropped down to 39-41km. Later, after some 4WD up and down steep windy tracks, it went up to 60km. Later the distance went down to 30km and by the time we arrived home, the distance was up to 45km. The battery gauge started at 16bars, ans then went down to 14bars, where it stayed until the last 4km when the car was operated in EV mode. Lost another 2bars in the last 4km. The drive was 120km and averaged 7.1L/100km petrol and 12.5kWh/100km on battery. Of the 120km, 116 was in SAVE mode and the battery indicated 14 or 15 bars. Most of the drive was 90-100kph on bitumen with approx 20km on 4WD tracks. The range had no real bearing on the indicated energy in the battery.

I think from my few weeks with my PHEV that the EV range displayed is dependant on the EV Miles/Kwh averaged over the last few miles ( not sure of the exact moving average distance ) as is the Total range...
I have seen the Range Display in the Eco Info page for both EV and Fuel range go UP significantly when driving on Flat or slightly down slope sections of road if they follow after a particularly steep climbing section.
BTW - There is a Settings Menu on the DASH display ( in front of the steering wheel ) that switches the trip odometers from M to A which is different to the Manual/Automatic tab on the Info/trip page of the MMCS.

Hi digmulti,

RE the setup menu. This is one of the faults that my PHEV has. The setup menu is gone completely. I am probably the first PHEV owner in AUS to experience first hand, this happen. Have not heard of anyone else losing display screens.

The EV range is really of little use the way it is. I would think that a number calculated with kW/h and remaining battery kWh and present speed be used in the calculation for battery range in a similar manner to say range based on present L/h for petrol and the Litres left in the tank, and the present speed. I would think that this data could be shown as a pair of numerical displays. The kWh/100km and L/100km could be a pair of bar graphs. I would think that these graphs could be horizontal, with the electric having a recharge and discharge component. The driver would then be able to glance at the displays and get an immediate feedback to improve driving style to maximize economy if needed.

For a laugh, watch the kWh/100km number while the car is operating in SAVE mode. In a hybrid vehicle the data should relate to both the petrol and electric.

dgmulti said:
BTW - There is a Settings Menu on the DASH display ( in front of the steering wheel ) that switches the trip odometers from M to A which is different to the Manual/Automatic tab on the Info/trip page of the MMCS.
Different in what way? They seemed to marry up quite well when I looked at mine?

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
dgmulti said:
Different in what way? They seemed to marry up quite well when I looked at mine?

Kind regards,
Mark

might be spurious but the DASH menu change seems to be permanent but the MMCS one resets on power down...
will have to retest this to prove though....!!!

I expect that the PHEV has 2 or more quite separate yet interacting computer systems. The MMCS accesses data from other computer systems in the car. The menu on the dash with the setup menu controls seems to be at the car level and the MMCS seems to be at an accessories level. I suspect that the Auto and Manual in each system are different and we do see this in some of the data displays. The range displays are shared data between each display as they change simultaneously. There may be some info in a workshop manual on how it all works. The displays do share some other data as navigation direction info from presumably the MMCS computer appears on the dash screen as well as the MMCS. All good when working in harmony. I hope the complexity of the computing systems does not impact on the service life or software upgrades of my PHEV.

dgmulti said:
avensys said:
dgmulti said:

Kind regards,
Mark

might be spurious but the DASH menu change seems to be permanent but the MMCS one resets on power down...
will have to retest this to prove though....!!!

Not on mine... I was all excited for a bit there, but now when I restart the car, it goes back to auto :twisted: talk about frustrating!

Back