Surprising engine start

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daff

Unplugged the car after a full charge. Switched it on, just meaning to check the EV Info page in the MMCS. To my surprise the engine fired up. Anyone know why it might have done that? The heater was on but it wasn't cold out so I'd expect it do use the electric heater. I turned it off and on again and it didn't start up again.

Steve

Oops, that was supposed to be "cold out". Edited. I think it as about 10C outside and the heater was set to 20C.

Steve

Daff said:
Oops, that was supposed to be "cold out". Edited. I think it as about 10C outside and the heater was set to 20C.
Haha, I see. So, it wasn't Google.

Anyway, 10 deg C difference will do it. In normal mode (non ECO), you can bridge a gap of roughly 8 deg C without the ICE cutting in. In ECO mode (you will be to late, as it is off by default) you can bridge a somewhat higher gap, but still not 10 deg C.

The EV Only box discussed in another thread has the option to manipulate the registered exterior temperature to 13 deg C minimum. This allows you to set the heater to approx. 18 deg C (in normal mode) without having the ICE cut in. From that, you can wait until the cabin heats up and then slowly increase the temperature setting.

Back