Tailgate not locked when car in 'Drive'

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarBoy

Why oh why is the boot unlocked and able to be opened when the vehicle is in 'D'? :roll:

Surely it should be impossible to open the tailgate when the car either in 'D' or 'R', irrespective whether the vehicle is locked from inside?

So that's the last time I'll be putting my man-bag (complete with house keys and PHEV fob) and indeed anything of any value into the boot of the car :twisted:

My 2002 Ford doesn't allow the boot to be opened when travelling ...

C'mon Mitsubishi, firmware update please improve security of the stuff in the boot ...

That's interesting, as mine will not open until I press park and/or turn off power! In fact, I find it a bit annoying as I drop the lad off at rugby and he can't just pop the tailgate to get his stuff out the boot without me pressing something first!

O.K., just went out and got my hair wet for the science experiment.

Car "on" and in "D" - opened door, went to boot and pressed button. Boot opened "manually". Pressed boot "close" button, but just beeped and had to shut boot "manually" (no power open or close).

Car "on" and in "D" - opened window, opened door, closed door, leaned in and pressed "lock" button. Went to boot and pressed button. Boot firmly locked.

So, it appears, on my car, that the boot will be locked and man-bags safe IF you press the "lock" button and lock all doors and boot whilst you are in the car.

Damned E.U. and their insistence that doors no longer auto-lock as you move off. It can be done, the software is disabled on E.U. cars and needs a "tweak" (same as auto-closing sunroof and windows tweak).

Jeff

lg1726 said:
That's interesting, as mine will not open until I press park and/or turn off power! In fact, I find it a bit annoying as I drop the lad off at rugby and he can't just pop the tailgate to get his stuff out the boot without me pressing something first!

Do you have the little boot on/off switch turned off (down near the power socket in front cubby-hole). Raining too hard for me to add that to the science experiment.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, that is my experience too.

The boot on/off switch didn't lock the boot ... I think that button is to stop the electric opening/closing?

Stopped raining ... I am off to test that button.

Yep, I worked that out, but it was the only variable I could think of as to the difference between our boot lock/unlock situation and lg1726 where that boot seems to be locked if the engine etc. is running.

I believe the switch will make no difference as it is, as you state, to disable the electric open/close.

Jeff

Typing this as you posted!

So...

• in 'Park' - the dashboard tailgate button works as expected, the boot opens.
  • in 'Drive' - the dashboard tailgate button doesn't work, lots of angry beeping. Yet the tailgate can be manually opened from the outside.

:roll:

I'm sure someone believes this to be logical, giving the person outside the car more control over the vehicle than the driver ...

I've read in comments on here that buried deep in the 'Settings' menu is an option to autolock the doors once the car is in motion. But it's possible that it's not available on EU models.

ChrisMiller said:
I've read in comments on here that buried deep in the 'Settings' menu is an option to autolock the doors once the car is in motion. But it's possible that it's not available on EU models.

It's hidden and can only be accessed via a cable and software "hack" - standard software at the dealer cannot see the settings. I know where they are, I have the software and cable but need to (a) load windows onto my Mac and (b) get a 32 bit driver to work on a 64 bit system. When I get that sorted, I will have auto-lock, auto-delock in the event of a crash, window and sunroof closure via remote lock button long press. One day . . . . .

Ollycat said:
Mine doesnt open unless it's in Park, agreed it's a pain when doing the morning "Kiss & Drop" at the station.

I wonder what the difference is between our cars? Mine definitely opens in "D" with the internal lock/unlock in "unlock". Maybe try pressing "unlock" on the door as an experiment?

From the manual:

To unlock the doors and tailgate
You can select the function to unlock the
doors and tailgate using the engine switch.
This function is not activated when the vehicle
is shipped from the factory. To activate or
deactivate this function, please contact a
MITSUBISHI MOTORS Authorized Service
Point.

Can someone translate into English please?

SolarBoy said:
From the manual:

To unlock the doors and tailgate
You can select the function to unlock the
doors and tailgate using the engine switch.
This function is not activated when the vehicle
is shipped from the factory. To activate or
deactivate this function, please contact a
MITSUBISHI MOTORS Authorized Service
Point.

Can someone translate into English please?

On my car, there is a setting somewhere deep in the menu system that, if your doors are locked by the manual switch, everything will unlock when you turn the engine off, or hit the "park" button. I hate to say it, but it is in the manual . . . . . Your mission is to find it, good luck, this message will not self destruct in 5 seconds :)

jthspace said:
............. I hate to say it, but it is in the manual . . . . . Your mission is to find it, good luck, this message will not self destruct in 5 seconds :)

The mission (Mission Impossible it increasingly appears) is to find the manual....and actually spend some time reading it.

JimB

Ah okay - I found that bit in the MMCS ... though, been up all night to get to it (joking).

Doesn't resolve keeping the tailgate locked when in 'D' though :evil:

[quote

The mission (Mission Impossible it increasingly appears) is to find the manual....and actually spend some time reading it.

JimB[/quote]
I didn't realize you were a 'Lifer' Jim. That's the only way anybody has the time to wade through all the 'Warnings', 'Danger', Don't do so & so or your left Test~Tikle might drop off', contained in the 'comic' known as the handbook. The most useless handbook I have EVER had with a car.

Back