The fuel consumption of the PHEV and how I decrease it.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roussir said:
littlescrote said:
Weight is largely irrelevant to fuel consumption (over flat terrain, anyway)

Rolling resistance is proportional to weight. Not sure how big it is, but it is direct loss.

Absolutely, but at any significant speed the wind resistance is much bigger than rolling resistance so it plays little part. That's why I said largely irrelevant, not totally irrelevant.

littlescrote said:
roussir said:
littlescrote said:
Weight is largely irrelevant to fuel consumption (over flat terrain, anyway)

Rolling resistance is proportional to weight. Not sure how big it is, but it is direct loss.

Absolutely, but at any significant speed the wind resistance is much bigger than rolling resistance so it plays little part. That's why I said largely irrelevant, not totally irrelevant.

Anakin: Incorrect!

At lower speeds (let's say below 30-35 mph), the rolling resistance is the dominant force. They are about equal between 35-45 mph, and wind resistance takes over at 50 mph. Now, these do depend on the car's weight, tire, height, body, etc., but in any case, proves your statement is... mildly said not very precise.

mellobob said:
kpetrov said:
I don't feel the consumption is so bad on the highway. 6L-7L / 100km is normal for a heavy SUV.

Yes, I think some of the comparisons skip over the fact that we have 2000+kg box going down the highway here.

And at the end of the day, that’s the advantage/disadvantage of the Outlander over an EV like a Tesla. My outlander has 7 seats, can tow, has a variety of options for getting big stuff in it, and also weighs a lot. If I didn’t need those things, I might have got a Tesla, but the reality is I do and SUVs are just so practical, but not aerodynamic and feather light like some of the small EVs out there.

Lukehawkins said:
mellobob said:
kpetrov said:
I don't feel the consumption is so bad on the highway. 6L-7L / 100km is normal for a heavy SUV.

Yes, I think some of the comparisons skip over the fact that we have 2000+kg box going down the highway here.

And at the end of the day, that’s the advantage/disadvantage of the Outlander over an EV like a Tesla. My outlander has 7 seats, can tow, has a variety of options for getting big stuff in it, and also weighs a lot. If I didn’t need those things, I might have got a Tesla, but the reality is I do and SUVs are just so practical, but not aerodynamic and feather light like some of the small EVs out there.
The advantage is I can go from Canada to Florida in 2 days without planing whole week my stops and have an anxiety if charging stations are working or available while my daily commute is 100% electric.

Back