The Sunday Times - UK - Motoring Section - Mitsubishi PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, you can't read it unless you are a subscriber (which I'm not), although I guess by the title that it is less than complementary.

I hate newspaper paywalls. I understand why they do it, but with news and reviews available for free from other sources, there is no incentive for anyone who isn't a regular reader to pay it - resulting in journalism that few people can even see.

OK, I can obviously see it as I am a subscriber, the laptop obviously remembers my password and logs me in automatically - sorry if no-one else can read it.

I cannot see why all info should be free, they have premises, staff etc. to pay for as well as paper to print and distribute. I happen to get e-copy Monday to Saturday and e-copy and paper versions on a Sunday. I don't expect to get all of it for free.

As a summary, the reviewer said the updated version is to be a more refined version of the original, with the electric features ramped up a bit. Mitsubishi says that what customers liked most about the older car was its tremendous acceleration — thanks to its electric motor, it had bags of torque. This version has had its software tweaked to make it even quicker off the mark: the 0-25mph time is now two seconds shorter.

The suspension has been given a makeover too, to make the car less wallowy in the corners, the power steering has been retuned to make it more interesting to drive and there have been a few cosmetic retouches such as wider LED tail-lights to give the car a subtly fresher look than the one I drove a few months ago.

They concluded by saying : It’s OK. It had plenty of room for the dogs, the children were happy in the back. It does manage to get close to solving the electric conundrum: it has enough battery range to do a daily drive but also has the capacity to do much longer trips on petrol.

They went on to say that the Outlander PHEV is not the world’s most exciting drive and that the tester is not sure how much of a recommendation that is, but it’s all you’re going to get.

Don't forget that Dom Joly lives near Cirencester which is home to Mitsubishi UK aka Colt Cars.
Maybe he got a free one for a few months? :eek:

I read it on another site where they copied it in full. Does sound like he got a long term loaner. Most of it is repeating bits of the press handout, very little actual 'review'

Its typical of the modern review genre by twittering on about irrelevant things in an attempt to be amusing with a bit of car mixed in so your not missing much.

Thanks for posting anyway.

BobEngineer said:
I read it on another site where they copied it in full. Does sound like he got a long term loaner. Most of it is repeating bits of the press handout, very little actual 'review'

Its typical of the modern review genre by twittering on about irrelevant things in an attempt to be amusing with a bit of car mixed in so your not missing much.

Which rather undermines jthspace's defence of the paywall :lol: BTW Private Eye reported in the last issue that News Corp has become disillusioned by the lack of on-line subscribers and may well be about to ditch the paywall. :oops:

greendwarf said:
Which rather undermines jthspace's defence of the paywall :lol:

:D agreed. I didn't want to cut and paste (a) because a web search would possibly find it and (b) this site could be dragged into it and, lastly (c) it would p1ss me off if someone copied my intellectual property and gave it away for free.

Old fashioned? No, self employed :lol:

BobEngineer said:

Yeah - for instance the two second acceleration improvement bit. I'll believe it when I see it. To me it sounds more like a juggling of parameters than an actual fact.

Back