Thinking of ordering GX3h - but does the suspension wallow?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetwood

Hi,

My disabled son is eligible for a Motability leased vehicle in the UK, we have to replace our current car in early March and I have been for a test drive of the GX3h which is on the list of vehicles we could order (not a GX4h). Just a couple of concerns

We have previously had a Land Rover Discovery 3 on the Motability scheme and really enjoyed having a large 4x4 which handled brilliantly. Although my wife and I were impressed with the GX3h, we both felt that no matter how slowly we drove it around corners, it seemed to have both a firm suspension on the open road (read - a bit harsh over ordinary lumps and bumps on the road) and yet it seemed to 'wallow' or dive in the medium and slow corners on country roads. I wasn't trying to drive it fast or aggressively and we aren't test pilots either.

We cover 15,000 miles per year and 80% of my journeys are less than 10 miles with frequent 70 mile round trips into west London. I am interested in the technology and reducing the levels of pollution I create, but I am not a skinflint or an avid 'greenie'.

Any comments from owners about the smoothness of the ride on the GX3h?

I've only driven my GX3h for about 250 miles, so cannot give a definitive answer but I have not noticed any wallowing in the corners. I've not done a great amount of country lane driving but there are hundreds of roundabouts round here and the PHEV grips really well and does not seems to struggle with excessive body roll. As a high SUV it is never going to handle as well as my Mini Cooper S, but in my view is good for an SUV.

I've got a GX3h and have now done just on 1,000 miles.

Compared to my old Yaris and the Freelander 1 I had before that I find that the GX3h is excellent for general driving.

Don't find it wallows at all and also find the steering extremely positive with no real noticeable under or over steer.

If anything I would say that the suspension is stiffer compared to the 2 previous cars, which is noticeable on speed bumps.

I live in North Kent and commute to Heathrow so my driving is mixed between cross London to work, round the M25 on the return, local suburban driving and the occasional trip into the Kent countryside and find it performs well under all conditions.

Hi Steve, I came from a Discovery 3 too. I find the ride quality of the Outlander in most normal motoring situations is more than acceptable. It doesn't have air suspension of course, so its a fixed ride height and doesn't soak the bumps up quite as well and I do occasionally notice the relative lack of suspension travel. There are lots of things about my Disco that I do miss, but although the Outlander's suspension is not as good, its not at all bad and not something I really notice on a day to day basis.

stevetwood said:
I wonder if the tyre pressure was low in the test vehicle I drove?

Thanks for the input
This is quite possible. I run both my winter and summer tyres at 40 PSI, and that solved the problem without impairing the ride significantly. I might add that I come from Jaguar, and did not find the transition to the suspension of the Outlander - which is admittedly a bit more rustic - problematic. It goes well with the character of the car.
Cornering is exceptional for such a heavy car - both the low point of gravity by the batteries and the unobtrusive stability control help.

I have had my GX3h for 6 months now and although I previously drove a Porsche 911 with optional sports suspension I do not find the outlander to wallow. It is a lot softer than I am used to, and I enjoy jumping back in the 911 at weekends, but I find the suspension on the outlander to be fine for the type of car.

Mentioned this to my wife and she reminds me she finds the seat are less "gripping" so she feels more movement but it's her rather that the car. I agree, however, about the stiffer suspension over speed bumps - some the bangs at no more than 20mph are quite alarming :eek:

greendwarf said:
Mentioned this to my wife and she reminds me she finds the seat are less "gripping" so she feels more movement but it's her rather that the car.

I do hope she doesn't read this, gd! I might interpret that as "she's a bit too extensive in the rear quarter than the seat was designed to accomodate". :twisted:

On topic: I don't find the car to wallow in corners at all, and overall it's a stable vehicle for what it is, I think.

I think the balance between handling and suppleness is spot on for a 4x4.

Does it wallow? No. I've owned Lotus Elise SC, TVR Cerbera, Clio RS 200 cup chassis and many other firmly spring cars, and no the phev doesn't wallow.

Is it too hard? Again not. All cars are about compromise, I think Mitsubishi have got it about right.

I've just re-read the OP, and something else springs to mind (that doesn't happen often). Was regen braking at B5? If you're not used to the feel of it, I can imagine taking your foot off for a corner could feel as though the car were "diving in". It's almost as though the brakes have been lightly applied. Just a thought.

The car does not wallow at all. I find the suspension quite stiff, which is probably a consequence of having the extra weight of the batteries low down on the chassis.

Regulo said:
greendwarf said:
Mentioned this to my wife and she reminds me she finds the seat are less "gripping" so she feels more movement but it's her rather that the car.

I do hope she doesn't read this, gd! I might interpret that as "she's a bit too extensive in the rear quarter than the seat was designed to accomodate". :twisted:

On topic: I don't find the car to wallow in corners at all, and overall it's a stable vehicle for what it is, I think.

Fortunately not, as the reverse is true - she's petite and so slides about more in the PHEV than the more bucket shaped seats in our old Avensis :D

I’ve owned my 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander for 5-years now and I agree with the OP that the standard factory suspension dives and wallows during lane changes, braking and even slight bends. I also have the floaty sensation at 70mph which was reported in many motoring press road test reports.

Having said that the suspension is rock hard and the Mitsubishi dealer told me this was normal to compensate for the battery weight. He said the PHEV model springs are lower than the petrol/diesel models with the PHEV having uprated spring rates.

I had the factory springs and shock absorbers inspected by the dealer to ensure they were all ok. Inspection report said no issues especially as my vehicle has only done 35,463 miles.

I’ve never had a vehicle with rock hard suspension that wallows and dives as much as the Outlander. I’ll take one or the other but not both. Soft comfy suspension that wallows is acceptable like on my old Citroen. Rock hard sport suspension with impressive handling like my wife’s Fiesta ST is a compromise you can accept.

This must be why Mitsubishi customers in Australia got the Outlander GSR with yellow Bilstein monotube shock absorbers (dampers) and uprated sports springs as standard.

My local Mitsubishi dealer in UK explained the Bilstein suspension parts are showing on their parts system but not available in Europe or UK.

He kindly gave me the Bilstein part numbers so I thought I’d be clever and contact Bilstein to purchase the parts aftermarket direct from them. Bilstein acknowledged the parts are in production but not available aftermarket. Mitsubishi dealer only. The agent kindly informed me that Eibach can supply the same springs used in the GSR model and that the standard Mitsubishi shock absorbers will quite happily work with stock standard factory dampers.

I contacted Eibach who indeed recommended their Pro-kit springs with a progressive coil spring design for improved handling and body control. They also informed me of a 20mm ride height reduction if fitted.

I was reluctant because I didn’t particularly want to lower my Outlander more than it already is. I chose an SUV for the height it offers. I was told that as the PHEV is already lowered the Eibach springs shouldn’t be noticeably different.

Well, having now had them fitted I have mixed feelings. The ride and handling is night and day better than standard. I am frankly amazed. No wallow in corners, no dive under braking, lane changes and turn in is razor sharp, the suspension is more comfortable and deals with imperfections better at low speed. No squat under acceleration and the Outlander feels planted and secure.

The downside (to my eyes at least) is its obviously no longer a high riding SUV. It is now way lower than standard ride height and much lower than even the Australian spec Outlander GSR model.

I almost appear to have inadvertently achieved what Mitsubishi did with the original Outlander Concept-S show vehicle at the 2014 Paris Salon which appeared very low on the show stand.

I will stick with the Eibach springs for now as I’m enjoying the comfort and handling benefits. Not to mention the cost of another 5hrs labour fitting to put it back to standard although the garage gave me the original standard PHEV Mitsubishi springs back for safe keeping.

Photos attached in my follow up posts.

Back