Towbar failure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevnorth

Sadly last week I went to use my detachable towbar. I had only use it twice before
The mechanism in the towbar was jammed .Idrove to the dealers explain to them I had two weeks of work and needed to use it .they said it was a warranty claim The same thing has happened before it was not the first one they had had back. So I asked if they had a spear one behind the counter. What would I have done if I was going on holiday with the caravan . They said leave it with them A week Latah I got fed up with waiting I had work to do so I ended up buying a brand-new towbar so I'm now out of pocket .you would of full that Mitsubishi would've been on the The case as they buy a larger Amount of towbars . I've got to admit I'm not happy with the treatment I have received over this matter .It has put me off buying another Mitsubishi

Is it mitsubishis fault or the fault of towbar manufacturer?
When I towed, always had detachable ball and used best one available. Also rarely had it fitted by car manufacturer but by local Tb garage

I had a witter on a Kia Sorento pulling an elddis superstorm
The first few times I used it it was fine, but after being unused for a while, very difficult to engage in the fixed car part. Almost lost it when put into the socket, safety lugs had attached and the spring wheel engaged as I always stood on the tow bar to check security, they parted company.
I got a new replacement ball but the problem lay in the socket. Over time, mud etc was thrown backwards to the front facing part of the socket. Only a very small amount was needed to render the ball being pushed fully home in the socket. The fix, not the cure, was to enclose the socket after use, I made a wooden plug with a flat piece attached to the front facing part so as the shield the socket. Several wrap around a and under with black gaffer tape stopped the ingress of mud, water etc into the socket.
Just a thought, Mike

Well, this is why you don't buy detachable towbars. The problem is pretty much the same on any manufacturer, if you don't keep the towbar mount clean and lubed it will jam on you (often when you desperately need to use the towbar). A permanent towbar might not look super pretty but it's always there when you need it and it's an excellent protection for the bumper when you reverse in to something or get rear-ended.

Fragge said:
A permanent towbar might not look super pretty but it's always there when you need it and it's an excellent protection for the bumper when you reverse in to something or get rear-ended.

Too true, my father's Cortina had a "real" towbar - steel girder beyond the bumper - and when rear-ended whilst stopped just drove forward pulling the towball out of the culprit's punctured radiator without even scratched paint. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fragge said:
Well, this is why you don't buy detachable towbars. The problem is pretty much the same on any manufacturer, if you don't keep the towbar mount clean and lubed it will jam on you (often when you desperately need to use the towbar). A permanent towbar might not look super pretty but it's always there when you need it and it's an excellent protection for the bumper when you reverse in to something or get rear-ended.

Agree, they do need more maintenance than a permanent version - but this is made clear in the instructions. The silly plastic blanking plug they give you is O.K. but it does not protect the socket from the gallons of dirty water and road dust that the car throws up nor does it protect the lock / switch.

Back