Towed away again Ev system fault

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim

Unplugged the car, opened the door put bag in, opened the tailgate put cable in - started the car and EV system warning light and although all lit up not able to go in gear or drive.

This is the second time and it was not on a rapid charger.

The garage says it needs 30 seconds from unplugging to doing anything as silly as opening a door - is this car unusable? It goes to safe mode and needs resetting by a dealer - as a driver it needs a reboot button or fixing.

Tried all the fixes posted here.
Grim

Grim said:
Unplugged the car, opened the door put bag in, opened the tailgate put cable in - started the car and EV system warning light and although all lit up not able to go in gear or drive.

This is the second time and it was not on a rapid charger.

The garage says it needs 30 seconds from unplugging to doing anything as silly as opening a door - is this car unusable? It goes to safe mode and needs resetting by a dealer - as a driver it needs a reboot button or fixing.

Tried all the fixes posted here.
Grim

I have to admit that I don't do things in that order, but the garage's explanation does not seem likely to me. My normal routine is to first push the open button on the tailgate and then, while it is going up, to disconnect the power. By the time the tailgate is up, I have the cable ready to stow. I've certainly never had any problems doing it that way round.

Grim said:
The garage says it needs 30 seconds from unplugging to doing anything as silly as opening a door
Total BS. Every morning I disconnect the cable and then as immediately as possible I unlock and open the door. Now, mine is LHD so it takes a little bit longer to get to the driver side door. But definitely not 30 seconds.

Grim, i will give you my experience of being towed away with a EV system fault.

The car was six weeks old , charged overnight as normal but when starting ...... ev system fault appeared.

The car was towed to the dealers and a full diagnostic check was done........the response was that the auxiliary battery needed a charge as it was flat. I was accused by the dealer that I must have shortcutted a fast charger. However the full print offs did confirm that the car had never had a fastcharge at anytime.

Visited the dealers the following morning assured everything was fine and good to go. Collected the keys ,entered the car to find that the EV fault system appeared ?????? Dealers red faced , mechanics scratching their heads ?????

To cut a long story oblong..........I was without the car for 2 weeks , full print offs were sent to Mitsi UK who could not find the solution. The print offs were then sent to Mitsi Japan headquarters for analysis.
The final outcome was that the auxiliary battery was deemed to be faulty and replaced with a new battery.

The car for the past 6 months has been faultless..........but my confidence in the vehicle had been shaken by that dreaded EV fault light.

Hope that you get it sorted.

Thanks for the responses - have also asked Mitsubishi to explain - will asked the garage about the auxiliary battery too.
Grim

anko said:
Grim said:
The garage says it needs 30 seconds from unplugging to doing anything as silly as opening a door
Total BS. Every morning I disconnect the cable and then as immediately as possible I unlock and open the door. Now, mine is LHD so it takes a little bit longer to get to the driver side door. But definitely not 30 seconds.
+1

I timed myself a while ago, it takes 8 seconds to coil and unplug my Type 1 - Type 2 cable and chuck it in the rear footwell.
Climb in, press start, drive go. Probably no more than 20 seconds from start to finish ever and no problems unless i dont press the brake pedal hard enough.

I unlock car first, unplug cable, stick cable away in outbuilding and enter car, probably less than 30 seconds for me end to end, no issues.

I unlock the car first however while plugged in to release the charge hatch locking mechanism to allow it to close normally.

raymie said:
I unlock car first, unplug cable, stick cable away in outbuilding and enter car, probably less than 30 seconds for me end to end, no issues.

I unlock the car first however while plugged in to release the charge hatch locking mechanism to allow it to close normally.

same here - I unlock the car while it is still plugged up and charging. While the hatchback is rising, I turn off the charger and unplug the cable.

I unplug, and hang the cable away, then unlock the car, step inside and press start. All under 10 seconds. Never a single problem.

I'm struggling to come up with an explanation for this but maybe they thought it might be wise, in this day and age, to offer a little protection against the rising proportion of idiots pervading society 'aving a laff by p***ing down your high voltage connector or squirting cyano into it...or....whatever.

Personally I'm just as happy having that locked as the petrol flap and the car itself.

JimB

Claymore said:
If the car's locked you can't open the flap covering the charge points (at least not on the MY'16 model).

JimB

Ah! - missed that "improvement" over my 2014 car. :lol:

Back