Towing with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelk

Now that Mitsubishi has started to ship the Outlander plug-in hybrid vehicle to Europe, they've released specs for it as well. Of most interest to me, is the listing that tow capacity is rated at 1,500 kg (3,300 lbs). Does anyone know if the Outlander comes with a hitch, and that's what the hitch is rated for?

Or is that what the vehicle/transmission can handle, but it's still up to the owner to buy and install a hitch?

Mainly wondering because of wiring - if it comes with a hitch, then Mitsubishi will have wired up for trailer lights - if the owner has to install the hitch, than I'll have to cut into the taillight wires to get a trailer plug.

I couldn't tell from the website - it doesn't seem to load for me, let alone tell me if the hitch is an option.

Senappel said:
The towing hitch is an accessory (dealer assembled).

I was told by a Mitsubishi dealership that they wouldn't install the hitch on the Outlander PHEV because it wasn't rated as having a tow capacity.
Senappel, is that wrong? Your dealer would install a hitch?

My dealer HAS installed a hitch. I had a choice of two, I chose the “invisible” one. They are listed in the official accessory list.
The official specs give the towing capacity as 1500 Kg.

That's right!
The big towing capacity is a big advantage of this PHEV to all other electrical and even hybrid vehicles.

I was even told that the eco version of the BMW 3 can not tow anything because of too low cooling of the engine ...

I joined the forum for 9 months, but it is the first post I send. I probably will buy the Outlander PHEV in the next 3-4 months. I have never driven the car, but next Monday I have an appointment with the dealer for a test drive. But I have a question that will not be resolved with the test. For many years I tow a trailer with a boat (total weight about 1000 kg?). I know well that the PHEV can tow up to 1500 kg, but in practice I would like to know the opinion of those who have already used for this purpose. I have heard of high consumption (but this seems normal to me ..) and particularly strong noise of the gasoline engine. In particular, how it goes on the climbs and at high speed?
Thanks

Claudio (from Italy)

Theres a short piece in WhatCar today about towing with the PHEV. http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/july/1303096

They say if you do a lot of towing, the diesel version is a better bet. I test drove both the auto and manual diesels which I thought were noisy, and confirmed when I drove the PHEV for the first time. Its not just that electric running is silent the extra soundproofing and thicker glass makes a big improvement. I don't tow anything so I never had to consider that particular conundrum.

If you test drive the diesel listen out for engine vibration rattling the windows. I saw it mentioned in a review and had it on my test drive as well. I'm pleased to say the hybrid is vastly better in this regard- and so much more interesting!

calypso said:
I joined the forum for 9 months, but it is the first post I send. I probably will buy the Outlander PHEV in the next 3-4 months. I have never driven the car, but next Monday I have an appointment with the dealer for a test drive. But I have a question that will not be resolved with the test. For many years I tow a trailer with a boat (total weight about 1000 kg?). I know well that the PHEV can tow up to 1500 kg, but in practice I would like to know the opinion of those who have already used for this purpose. I have heard of high consumption (but this seems normal to me ..) and particularly strong noise of the gasoline engine. In particular, how it goes on the climbs and at high speed?
Thanks

Claudio (from Italy)
I am not a "tower" myself, but there is a fair number of reports on the Dutch forum now that the summer holidays have come, mostly by users towing and loading to the maximum capacity. I.e a 1500 Kg caravan and total train weight 3800 Kg, often a bit (illegally) more.

Summarizing:

The car is an excellent towing vehicle, far more powerful than the Diesel at low speed.

Optimum maximum towing speed is about 90 Kph, although the car has no problems at all with bursts of higher speed or hills. It will just increase consumption and deplete the battery a bit temporarily. And the ICE will come in more.

It is advisable to run the car in Charge mode.

Used this way the car will use 10-12 litres per 100 Km, when extremely stressed 12-14.

The ICE will come in at high revs from time to time, especially on inclines and during acceleration, but the noise is acceptable.

It appears that wind resistance is more important than weight.

There are very few, if any, reports of the car going into emergency power mode.

Hope this helps.

klaus said:
Senappel said:
The towing hitch is an accessory (dealer assembled).

I was told by a Mitsubishi dealership that they wouldn't install the hitch on the Outlander PHEV because it wasn't rated as having a tow capacity.
Senappel, is that wrong? Your dealer would install a hitch?
Sorry, that is just nonsense. I would switch dealers if I were you for lack of expertise..
There are two hitches in the official accessory list, electrical connection included of course and the legal rated towing capacity is 1500 Kg, although the car can handle much more.
I read one report of an owner pulling away a 4000 Kg trailer without problems, noting that he would have burnt out the clutch on his previous 4WD.

I want a aftermarket hitch for my outlander, what brand and model would you recommend that would suite best for your ride?

jaapv said:
Why aftermarket? I have the Mitsubishi removable one and am quite happy. It is made by Thule btw.

Interesting... Can you post some pics of what you have? My main reason for this is bec I find oem that are made by Mitsubishi quite weak and not appealing at all.

johnelk said:
Now that Mitsubishi has started to ship the Outlander plug-in hybrid vehicle to Europe, they've released specs for it as well. Of most interest to me, is the listing that tow capacity is rated at 1,500 kg (3,300 lbs). Does anyone know if the Outlander comes with a hitch, and that's what the hitch is rated for?

Or is that what the vehicle/transmission can handle, but it's still up to the owner to buy and install a hitch?

Mainly wondering because of wiring - if it comes with a hitch, then Mitsubishi will have wired up for trailer lights - if the owner has to install the hitch, than I'll have to cut into the taillight wires to get a trailer plug.

I couldn't tell from the website - it doesn't seem to load for me, let alone tell me if the hitch is an option.

I have been towing using the dealer fitted hitch with no problems, I am towing a caravan which weighs in at just under 1500KGs loaded with our kit.

Hi Trilly,

How have you found towing your 'van with the PHEV ?
I'm on the verge of pushing the "Go" button to order one through my work lease scheme, and therefore selling my D5 Volvo V70 which I've had good towing experience with.

My one mini-hesitation on ordering the PHEV is the towing capability. We don't tow very often but when we do it's usually heading from Kent to West France - could be a tiresome journey depending on how well the PHEV copes!

Any feedback you could give on your towing experience would be great.

Thanks,

Anthony

trilly said:
johnelk said:

I have been towing using the dealer fitted hitch with no problems, I am towing a caravan which weighs in at just under 1500KGs loaded with our kit.

I have the factory fitted "Hayman Reese" type removable hitch. From memory, the loom came all the way from up the front of the car and was routed through. Have the flat 7pin electrics.

The PHEV does struggle with towing a van, even 1200kg A-van. CHARGE mode is mandatory.

Hi

I have towed 1 1500kg dive boat without any problems, even up the steep slip.

I would recommend towing with a full (ish) battery and using save not charge.

Charge askes the ICE to put all spare power into the generator and will cause the engine to run almost continuously, where as save will only power the generator with spare ICE capacity.

Cheers

Chris

In Save mode, the SOC is maintained when you drain power from the battery for EV drive. But SOC is not maintained when you drain power from the battery for e-assisted parallel drive.

A dive boat is probably more aerodynamic than a caravan. My guess is that when towing a caravan, you will need e-motor assistance more often than when towing a boat. Save mode simply won't do it. You need Charge mode. Charge mode will not affect the amount of power available for driving / towing. It will only affect the charging regime (when surplus power is available).

What is the rational for keeping the car in charge mode when towing? Why not just use up available charge then let the car decide how to deliver power?
Thanks

As I wrote here (http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8713#p8713), at some point, the engine will not be able to provide as much power as you need for driving. When towing a trailer, this point comes rather quickly. A gentle incline may do the trick.

When this happens, the car has two options:

- Engage the e-motors to support the engine. That works great, but does require sufficient battery charge. We know the battery knows empty, very empty and rockbottom empty. When towing a caravan uphill, the point of rockbottom empty is easily reached when you start with an empty battery. But before this happens the car will resort to the second option.

- Engage series hybride mode. When it does so because the battery is depleted, power is limited to 60 kW. Not very much, when towing. Also, engine revs will go up, resulting in a less comfortable drive.

No need to say, that you would prefer the first option. Maintaining decent SOC is key to this.

But even when driving solo, it could be beneficial to have some extra EV range available. For example, when you know the last bit of your drive will be in a slow speed zone. Series hybrid is simply not as efficient at slow speeds. It seems to be more efficient to use parallel drive on higher speeds and EV mode on lower speeds. As long as you don't overdue it. You don't want you battery to be too full, as charging the battery becomes less efficient then. Also, you don't want to arrive at home, with some EV range left.

Back