Tyre choices - all season or AT?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailordoc

Having been disappointed with the performance of the PHEV in mud, I've started to ponder alternative tyre choices. As I don't do a lot of off roading I'm wondering whether a decent all season tyre may be a better bet than an AT tyre (but am not sure!)

Has anybody got any experience of the Falken S200 all season or Geolandar AT tyres? The Falkens seem to have reasonable snow performance and would be a tyre I could use all year. The Geolandars look to have a good tread pattern and allegedly are also m&s rated (although some sites list it as only a Summer tyre) but at 75db might be annoyingly loud on the road. I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experience with these tyres or indeed other recommendations. I don't really want Winter only tyres as I don't want the hassle of swapping back and forth.

I've had excellent experience of Goodyear Wrangler All Season M&S on LRs - couldn't get them in PHEV size or would definitely fitted them :(

Also had Pirelli Scorpion All Season M&S on LRs but thought they were weak in snow and slush especially - ended up keeping them just for summer as I wanted to be able to pull a twin axle out of wet fields when we toured and stayed on farm sites :?

Lot of Discovery owners fit AT tyres and swear by them for off road and winter but vehicles I've been in with them are are noisy IMHO and reviews say weak braking in wet weather which lets face it is most of time in UK :lol:

I nearly fitted Vredestein Quatrac All Season M&S on PHEV which had good reviews but again weak results in wet so in the end I opted for Conti Winter for peace of mind although it's cost me more hopefully will save another set of tyres over my ownership if I fit the Toyo in summer only - although I'm not convinced about the Toyo so may fit a premium summer next year - hate spending money on tyres especially on a new vehicle but safety is more important now - I used to fit remoulds and part worn in my youth through necessity but once we started a family it all changed :oops:

I've done loads of research on tyres over the years and what everyone agrees is All Season are a jack of all trades and can't do everything well - Summer and Winter in the right season are unbeatable but Good Year were good enough for me if I could of got them in right size :roll:

It seems that Michelin Cross-Climate are very close to the ideal all-season, being very similar in specs to winter and summer tyres both. But they are not available in PHEV sixe :(

Vredestein Quatrac 225/55 R18 98V 
Very good tyres mud and snow, and main roads too, all seasons.

Back