Was ICE cold weather start formula reprogrammed?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My procedure to ensure the engine will not turn on is the following:
1. Activate EV mode.
2. Activate ECO mode.
3. Use B0 for driving.

The engine will come on only if the battery is very low or the AC is set to 24 C or more.
I've tried these measures. It doesn't work. It may seem to delay ICE startup for 30 seconds longer, but it starts up anyway. I notice it now more than when my 2020 was new. Anything below about 52F and the engine likely will trigger. Tried pre-heating, no cabin heat, etc. I think if battery capacity is down a bit due to age or temperature, the algorithm is looking for a certain amount of available battery power (voltage? calculated amphours?). If it is not there, the ICE warms up regardless.

I don't have any hard evidence but I think that as the battery degrades it can tend to come on more frequently in these cases. I have a 2018 with 46000km on it (CDN model) and most of the time if I start the car with EV priority button pressed the engine does not come on. But _sometimes_ it can, even if I have done this. Most of the time it doesn't, but it can.

Last edited:
I don't have any hard evidence but I think that as the battery degrades it can tend to come on my frequently in these cases. I have a 2018 with 46000km on it (CDN model) and most of the time if I start the car with EV priority button pressed the engine does not come on. But _sometimes_ it can, even if I have done this. Most of the time it doesn't, but it can.
I believe that as well. Only when the vehicle is new the folks say it keeps the engine off even at -10. Next winter they start asking the same questions... why my engine keeps kicking in.
The other clue is after an DBCAM my battery went up 8% and that lowered the temperature at which the engine fire up.

Well, mine isn't exactly new; it's 2020, and it's over 70,000 km. But yes, I suppose at some, it will start activating the engine more and more.

This works for me on a 2016 HS model (will not work if lower spec as no electric heater).
1. Ensure you switch off heater fan before switching off car
2. Presumably next morning, press start button without pressing brake pedal so enters accessories mode
3. Press start again WITHOUT BRAKE and goes into start mode but without switching on power train
4. Switch on fan and the electric heater comes on without the engine
5. I usually leave it for a few moments then press brake pedal and press Start button
I can then drive fully electric without the engine coming on

On my 2019 model it suffices to hit the EV button and omitting step 4, before doing brake pedal - start button in this sequence.

Back