What would make you upgrade?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblydeb

We've had our MY16 4H for nearly a year now, and I love the car and whole electric experience.

Normally we would keep a car for 8-10 years before replacing it. However, despite loving the Outlander, there are a couple of things that would make me fork out extra cash, and get an updated model if it had those updates.

So, if they brought out a new model with the following, they could have my money:

1. Bigger battery - at least double the existing size
2. EV only button (I think this one is coming)
3. Rear heated seats - they're darn cold in winter!

What would persuade you to replace your car early?
:)

Well as it is right now I would wait to upgrade until there is a suitable competitor to the Outlander. Main reason is Mitsus failure to provide suitable software upgrade to existing customers. I.e. no;

EV Button upgrade
Improvement on UX experience and customization on existing features
Additional comment/fix on WiFi security issue

I find it a poor customer policy to not listen to or take care of existing customers.

Wobblydeb said:
We've had our MY16 4H for nearly a year now, and I love the car and whole electric experience.

Normally we would keep a car for 8-10 years before replacing it. However, despite loving the Outlander, there are a couple of things that would make me fork out extra cash, and get an updated model if it had those updates.

So, if they brought out a new model with the following, they could have my money:

Usually the one paying for the car is not the one sitting on the rear seats..

@SolarBoy - that made me chuckle :lol: If you total it, would you not replace it? ;)

Steepndeep said:
Well as it is right now I would wait to upgrade until there is a suitable competitor to the Outlander. Main reason is Mitsus failure to provide suitable software upgrade to existing customers. I.e. no;

EV Button upgrade
Improvement on UX experience and customization on existing features
Additional comment/fix on WiFi security issue

I find it a poor customer policy to not listen to or take care of existing customers.
Interesting, because I would also swap to a competitor - but for slightly different reasons. If anyone brings out a decent alternative with a better quality interior, and better dealerships (like Honda or Toyota - I cannot afford a Volvo or BMW!) I would swap. They would still need to have a bigger battery for me to swap early though :)

jaapv said:
Usually the one paying for the car is not the one sitting on the rear seats..
True, but not in our case. My husband sits in the back a lot (keeping our toddler awake) and complains about his cold bum while I've got the seat heater on up front :lol:

SolarBoy said:
Wobblydeb said:
@SolarBoy - that made me chuckle :lol: If you total it, would you not replace it? ;)

Hahaha.

I don't know, I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with it.

Me too. Two things that annoy the most are those times you pull out to overtake and it just won't go if you have not remembered to hit 'charge' in advance, even then its can be dangerously slow to pick up. I know its been discussed many times and doesn't bother other people but it does me. The other factor is the ride, I have not tried a supposedly improved MY16 but I doubt its all that much better. If there was something comparable in running costs and space I would look carefully at it. At the moment there isn't really any choice.

2 years to go before I am looking again.

given the erosion of the tax advantages, I don't think anything would tempt me to upgrade. This one should last me the rest of my working life - if it doesn't, then I certainly would not be buying another! My son has been researching the Lexus RX450h and I quite like what I've seen - they don't hold their value very well, so I may look at one of them a few years old when the PHEV becomes too unreliable to hold onto.

Wobblydeb said:

Doesn't the 5h come with heated rear seats already ?

AndyP said:
Doesn't the 5h come with heated rear seats already ?
I think it might do. We hadn't realised how cold an electric vehicle is, until we got one!!

Without the increase in battery size, neither the heated rear seats nor the EV only mode would be enough to make me upgrade. I'm really frustrated that every other hybrid 4WD has been a "me too" car with less range than the Outlander. They're missing a trick!

Personally, I would rather have more battery capacity than larger batteries!

The Grand Tourer concept shown last year was reported as having "an electric-only range of 75 miles and a total range of 750 miles when the engine kicks in". That's the kind of improvement that would tempt me to upgrade.

Would also agree that the software needs major revisions to improve user experience.

rgilyead said:
Personally, I would rather have more battery capacity than larger batteries!

The Grand Tourer concept shown last year was reported as having "an electric-only range of 75 miles and a total range of 750 miles when the engine kicks in". That's the kind of improvement that would tempt me to upgrade.

Would also agree that the software needs major revisions to improve user experience.

I'm picking up a similiar (2YO) aged GX4HS on Friday, after my lease of GX3H expired. Pretty much same money, so for me the extra bells and whistles makes it a no-brainer.

Well the MY2017 PHEV doesn't seem to have many compelling new features for Europe who got the MY2016. However in Australia we only got a dozen MY2016 for Mitsu staff, so it is a bigger update. Just not enough for me to consider upgrading from my MY2014.

Here is the video - https://youtu.be/yJLreVgXMKo

New features that I noticed over the MY2016 PHEV -
EV button
RCTA (rear cross traffic alert)
UMS (misacceleration mitigation)
1500W powerpoint (2 pin Euro 240V shown, will it finally be in a PHEV outside of Japan ???)

zzcoopej said:
New features that I noticed over the MY2016 PHEV -
EV button
RCTA (rear cross traffic alert)
UMS (misacceleration mitigation)
1500W powerpoint (2 pin Euro 240V shown, will it finally be in a PHEV outside of Japan ???)

Upgrade is a "hard" decision unless the car is in leasing and this is close to ending.

Anyhow ... EV button alone it sounds a mayor improvement ... definitely for who is going to buy a new PHEV now ... if they still want to sell old stock of 2016 version .. this should be well discounted over V2017 .. since EV button can make the PHEV way more pleasure to be driven.
It will be interesting to know if this EV button solve also the ICE start for cabin heating, else it could be again a "half solution"

1500W powerpoint ? What is this ?
It sound to me that it is possible to use a simple cable and connect the car to a 220/240v home plug, without the need of the "dummy" and expensive "box" .. that just speak J1772 dialect and does not bring ANY additional advantage .. since at the end the charger is in the car .. so it is the car that take care to source 220v AC and convert into DC for charge the 300v Lithium battery pack.
1500w charging ... it is still perfectly fine for fully charge the car overnight.

Hi elm

I think the 1500 W powerpoint microsoft?? :) is a 240 V AC outlet so you can hook up your PC, Microwave, Refrigerator to the car while in Aussie outbacks camping. But I may be wrong.

Well if EV button does not take car of the ICE heat problem for shorter journeys Mitsu have, as we say in Swedish, "set their last potato" when it comes to listening to customers ;)

Steepndeep said:
I think the 1500 W powerpoint microsoft?? :) is a 240 V AC outlet so you can hook up your PC, Microwave, Refrigerator to the car while in Aussie outbacks camping.

Yes, a 240V powerpoint in your EV is also useful at home if you have a power outage. Why they chose 1500W and not 2400W (10A @ 240V) is beyond me, however 1500W is much better than nothing.

By the time a car is three years old, depreciation will have significantly hit the resale value. If it is still working well and looking OK, it is difficult to justify the cost of an upgrade for some minor improvements - doubling the EV range is unlikely to reduce running costs anywhere near enough to recoup the upgrade price.

If, on the other hand, it is becoming unreliable or looking old at three years, would you really buy another of the same model? I certainly would not!

Thanks for the info on PowerPoint ...

Guess is not a big deal to add 1500 inverter on the 12V battery ... and take care to have the car "on" for recharge the 12V battery while it get "used" .. so ... 30 USD gadget and old PHEV can do the same as new PHEV
(Anyhow can be something interesting for "camping" people .. but for the others is quite useless)

Only EV button is what is looking to make the big difference

Muddywheels said:
75 mile EV range and EV only would tempt me to upgrade early but plan to keep this one 3-5 years if it behaves :mrgreen:

I just checked on-line and it looks like the cost to change for us to exactly the same spec as we currently have would be in the region of £18,000 - that buys around 3,000 gallons of petrol - at 35mpg that will take me around 110,000 miles - the EV range would have to be massive to recoup that!

Back