Which Home Charge Point Installer?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Hi all, brand new to the site and the Overlander but ordered a GX4H yesterday in Orient Red.

Very helpful dealer in Leeds started the process of ordering a charging point but recommends using PodPoint;

http://pod-point.com/products/#solo

Obviously not the company recommended by Mitsubishi. I've trawled the site via searches but can't find any advice yet as to whether there are any particular advantages and/or disadvantages from one installer to another either in terms of the quality of the installation or ongoing services that PHEV users will need.

Like others no doubt I'm finding this yet another very steep learning curve and would appreciate any comments on this decision.

EDIT: Thanks to Jeff (jthspace) for the warning about my original link, I hadn't checked it.

Jim B

Not sure where you are located, but if in Scotland you can get 100% grant for charger installation! Some of it comes via the DVLA OLEV scheme and the remaining balance is made up from Energy Saving Trust. I used a company called Jorro to sort it all out. They did all the paperwork for me, arranged the installation and submitted the grant applications. Great service. We have a Rolec with tethered cable and the whole process was simple, efficient and a very neat job done!

Thanks guys,

I'm in Derbyshire (but now wishing I was back in my home town of Perth for a free install!).

From what I've learned since posting my original message it appears that there is no ongoing advantage flowing from any of the installers of the charging points.

Access to motorway points etc. are achieved via Ecotricity rather than via your charge point installer, for example.

Looks like it's simply down to price, installation service and aesthetics.

JimB

Claymore said:
Thanks guys,

I'm in Derbyshire (but now wishing I was back in my home town of Perth for a free install!).

Could ask for an extra long lead :lol:

I have a Podpoint installed by https://www.nucharge.co.uk/ (they are in Derbyshire :D )

They were great to deal with & the guy doing the install did a really neat job ;)

Tried the long lead Greendwarf but people kept falling over it :?

Thanks outofyorkshire - I found the NuCharge site last night and decided to use them as soon as can get a vin number.

I was going to get them to install a Rolec unit as their 32 amp unit saves nearly enough for a type 1 to type 2 lead for public charging points.

Any particular reason you went for PodPoint?

JimB

I had mine installed at the tail end of the free scheme :D
The PodPoint was the unit they were doing at the time, no other reason.
Can't say I fully understand how the scheme works and who paid what to who , but assume they were getting a good deal from PodPoint at the time!
I got a 32A model with a 5m tethered type 1 lead.

I see they only do Rolec now so guess it all comes down to price now they have to pass on some of the fees :shock:

Back