Why when the door opens?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristian

The preheating is crucial in winter Norway. An extremely irritating "feature" is that the heating turns off if you open a door, even the back door. This is very irritating when loading the car with luggage and children on a cold day. Why is it doing this? Is there a way to keep it on even if the door is opened (probably not)?

That's what I do. Immediately jump in, start her up, heater on at 25C (or more). It keeps the temperature up while passengers or cargo is loading.

If you turn on the car with the heater on in cold weather the ICE starts, and then fuel consumption go through the roof for a short trip

Kristian said:
If you turn on the car with the heater on in cold weather the ICE starts, and then fuel consumption go through the roof for a short trip

For a short trip, then probably only a small amount of petrol used. Do you know how much extra petrol, compared to the distance traveled and the number of kWh we are talking about?.

Regulo said:
That's what I do. Immediately jump in, start her up, heater on at 25C (or more). It keeps the temperature up while passengers or cargo is loading.
It is a thermostat. There will be no difference to leaving it at (say) 20C if the temperature in the car is appreciably lower.

gwatpe said:
Kristian said:

For a short trip, then probably only a small amount of petrol used. Do you know how much extra petrol, compared to the distance traveled and the number of kWh we are talking about?.

Well, if most/all of your trips are short lets say a couple of miles or km, then the average fuel consumption could easily be 10 l per 100 km or more, there seems to be a price for starting the ICE, and if the battery is full it is a complete waiste. There is a lot of talk about this on PHEV fora in cold countries. The car is not well suited for short trips in the cold, if it VERY cold the ICE might start even if the heater/AC is OFF. So like many other I wish for a EV button, but even so I dont understand why the preheating is shut down on opening the door, very irritating. It could shout down on startup. Perhaps it is one of the many over the top safty features of the car, but I dont understand what is dangerous here.

Electricity is almost free here compared to petrol, I live in a city I dont like to pollute, and usually my drive to the kindergarden and job is 2-3 km. And I can charge in both ends. I could drive for weeks and weeks without using petrol if the ICE did not start.

I suspect that the MMC engineers have determined that a door open is a trigger point for "The car will probably be driven soon". "It is dangerous to have a recharging cord connected when about to drive" sequence is then initiated. In addition the the PHEV not allowing the car to be driven, recharging or corded heating/cooling is also stopped as well.

Preheating for a longer time at a higher temperature and then turning OFF the climate for a short drive could work. Would need the demisting to be part of this preheating as well.

If it is really cold, then the PHEV may still operate the ICE to get the battery to work better as well.

I don't think driving off is a safety concern. The car will not start up or release "Park" with the cable attached.

Back