Windscreen replacement - camera recalibration ??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubbo66

I had to have my windscreen replaced last week due to a chip and crack right in the middle of the drivers position.

I used Autoglass as per my insurance company, and the guy came out, took a look at the sensors and said I'd need to get the camera recalibrated and that wasn't covered under the insurance.

I have the 64 GX4HS with adaptive cruise control, but when I spoke to my dealers service department they said they had never heard of needing to do this.

Reading the manuals, all of the road tracking sensors seem to be in the front bumper area, so what is the camera in the windscreen for?

I can see 3 sensors/cameras, one for rain, one for light....so what is the other camera and do I need to get it recalibrated or not?

I told him I had checked with the dealer and it didn't need doing (dealer never came back to me to be honest), so I just got the windscreen replaced and paid the excess. Then today I had a letter from Autoglass telling me their records show the vehicle manufacturer recommends getting the sensors recalibrated.

The guy also tried to tell me I needed to have them recalibrarted if I ever replaced the tyres, which again seems like BS.

So I've had new tyres, and I've had a replacement windscreen and none of the FCS or Adaptive cruise control seems to have been affected.

Is this BS? What is that camera for?

Cheers

I believe the manual states that the lane departure warning camera is also behind the rear view mirror?

If it is the LDW camera, I haven't noticed a problem so presumably it doesn't need realigning.....even if it can be realigned.

stubbo66 said:
If it is the LDW camera, I haven't noticed a problem so presumably it doesn't need realigning.....even if it can be realigned.

This is probably just Autoglass being over cautious to avoid legal problems if you had an accident because the LDW didn't warn you in time because not only could a different screen have a different diffraction but the actual work could have changed the alignment.

And Mitsu don't need to warn you of this, because a windscreen it not a normal service replacement item - so not their problem if you have an accident :eek:

Not the TPMS, they believed any changes in wheel alignment could require the windscreen sensor to be calibrated as well.

All seems a bit over cautious, and there is no mention of it in the manuals so I'm going to ignore it, but in case anyone else has to have a windscreen replaced, you now have some info if they try and get you to recalibrate the sensors as part of the work.

Had the screen changed on my GX4H only 3 weeks after receiving it at end of March. There was no comment from the fitter that any sensors may need recalibration, nor have I noticed any change in how any of the functions work. Not sure if this might be a different case for the GX4hs and GX5H etc.
Regarding the tyre pressure monitoring system, on my previous car, once when I had the tyres changed I had to reset the system, but the book said how to reset it. On the other occasions when I had new tyres I had no issue what so ever. I would not expect the windscreen to have any effect on TPMS or vici versa.

Dusz said:
... on my previous car, once when I had the tyres changed I had to reset the system...

Was this because the tyre fitter had put the wheels on to different locations?

I had wondered what happens if the wheels are "rotated" to different positions on the car.

Or does the TPMS not indicate the position of the faulty tyre?

Andy

AndyInOz said:
Dusz said:
... on my previous car, once when I had the tyres changed I had to reset the system...

I had wondered what happens if the wheels are "rotated" to different positions on the car.

Andy

The TPMS on UK '14 models doesn't know the position of individual wheels. The last time the fitter change my winter tyres back to summer he accidently swapped the front and rear pairs. I know this because of the very obvious red brake dust on the unwashed front ones. :eek:

Interesting. All the dealers I spoke to in the run up to purchasing the PHEV said that due to all the sensors etc, the tyres must always be replaced with Toyos. Has anyone else heard this? Anyone had any issues with not fitting Toyos? I figured it was just a spiel so they can sell you (no doubt) expensive tyres. By the way, what sort of mileage can one expect to get from the Toyo's?

Dusz said:
Had the screen changed on my GX4H only 3 weeks after receiving it at end of March. There was no comment from the fitter that any sensors may need recalibration, nor have I noticed any change in how any of the functions work. Not sure if this might be a different case for the GX4hs and GX5H etc.
Regarding the tyre pressure monitoring system, on my previous car, once when I had the tyres changed I had to reset the system, but the book said how to reset it. On the other occasions when I had new tyres I had no issue what so ever. I would not expect the windscreen to have any effect on TPMS or vici versa.

I had the windscreen changed on my GX4hs 14 model and also needed no recalibration. There was a change in the sensitivity of the rain detector, but everything still works. It did take a while for the new windscreen to bed in - lots of cracking noises for the first week or two, but no leakage and all seems OK now

Albacore said:
Interesting. All the dealers I spoke to in the run up to purchasing the PHEV said that due to all the sensors etc, the tyres must always be replaced with Toyos. Has anyone else heard this? Anyone had any issues with not fitting Toyos? I figured it was just a spiel so they can sell you (no doubt) expensive tyres. By the way, what sort of mileage can one expect to get from the Toyo's?
That sounds like self-serving nonsense to me. Mine drives perfectly - if not a lot better- on Contis.
I always prefer A brand tyres over B brand ones.

AndyInOz said:
Dusz said:

Andy

The answer is I do not know as I was not watching over the fitter when he changed the tyres. I would have expected the wheel to go back on the same corner as they mostly only remove one wheel at a time. As I say on one occasion I had to rest the TPMS on the Honda and on another occasion I did not.

Albacore said:

I've had no problems changing over to Bridgestone Blizzaks the last 2 winters but when I had to buy a new pair of summer (non-repairable puncture) I did fit Toyos again to match the other axle - although went for Proxes as an upgrade :?:

Back