Winter Tyres?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maby said:
According to the manual, the TPMS needs to be recalibrated following a wheel change, but I don't think it uses pressure sensors in each wheel - I believe it uses the rotational data from the ABS sensors to infer tyre pressure.

According to "A manual", or specifically "A PHEV manual"

I have seen no mention of any TPMS in 2014 released PHEV manual. Was this possibly a 2013 PHEV manual?

Here is the instrument list for 2014 PHEV. No mention of TPMS.

Indicator_Screens.gif

There is mention in the manual about winter tyres are only good for 50% of the wear indicators.

Lack of tread would not be good.

The car came without TMPS originally, it only was added when it became compulsory in the EU. The manual obviously was not adapted (yet?)

jaapv said:
The car came without TMPS originally, it only was added when it became compulsory in the EU. The manual obviously was not adapted (yet?)

My manual includes a couple of not very intelligible pages on the TPMS towards the end of section 7.

After a few days of ownership now, I still get the TPMS warning of low pressure when I start up in the morning. Without fail, it disappears after a few miles of driving, I assume as some heat gets into the tyres. Does anybody else have this? I guess it'll become more common as winter draws in..........

DrSlackBladder said:
After a few days of ownership now, I still get the TPMS warning of low pressure when I start up in the morning. Without fail, it disappears after a few miles of driving, I assume as some heat gets into the tyres. Does anybody else have this? I guess it'll become more common as winter draws in..........

Happened once and the pressures were indeed a bit lower than recommended - no recurrence since I put pressures at 35psi front 38psi rear.

DrSlackBladder said:

Have you actually RESET the TPMS once you have checked and set the tyre pressures?
as the ambient air temp drops the starting tyre pressure will be lower and may be the rolling radius calibrated in the TPMS is incorrect...
See central Display "Settings" menu for TPMS reset....

The manual indicates that the TPMS can store a value for 2 sets of tyres to cope with summer/winter changeovers. It appears that 4h owners :( can toggle between the sets using MMCS, although I think the second set may initially need to be set up by a main dealer.

The manual also indicates that there are physical sensors in the tyres, but does anyone know for sure that that is the case as I thought 'indirect' TPMS system just use the ABS system and don't need any physical sensors. If I fit alternative alloys for my winter tyres I won't be too bothered if the TPMS doesn't work as I check pressures regularly anyway, but it would be helpful to know if the manual is correct.

davec said:
The manual indicates that the TPMS can store a value for 2 sets of tyres to cope with summer/winter changeovers. It appears that 4h owners :( can toggle between the sets using MMCS, although I think the second set may initially need to be set up by a main dealer.

The manual also indicates that there are physical sensors in the tyres, but does anyone know for sure that that is the case as I thought 'indirect' TPMS system just use the ABS system and don't need any physical sensors. If I fit alternative alloys for my winter tyres I won't be too bothered if the TPMS doesn't work as I check pressures regularly anyway, but it would be helpful to know if the manual is correct.

The question then is - does the TPMS system show a fault if no sensors are fitted. I'm just about to buy wheels and tyres too but am trying to resolve whether to have sensors fitted, they seem fairly easy to buy.

Bilbo59 said:
The question then is - does the TPMS system show a fault if no sensors are fitted. I'm just about to buy wheels and tyres too but am trying to resolve whether to have sensors fitted, they seem fairly easy to buy.

I was hoping that jaapv or one of the other members who have already bought a 2nd set of wheels from Mitsubishi would know the answer to that! Anyone?

HI

Are we talking UK manuals? only I can't find any mention of TPMS in mine,and other members of this forum have spoken about fitting 2 wireless sensors and a display as an addition.

Cheers

Chris

davec said:
Bilbo59 said:

I was hoping that jaapv or one of the other members who have already bought a 2nd set of wheels from Mitsubishi would know the answer to that! Anyone?
Mine is a 2013 one. No TMPS- or rather an aftermarket one.

Lyra252 said:
HI

Are we talking UK manuals? only I can't find any mention of TPMS in mine,and other members of this forum have spoken about fitting 2 wireless sensors and a display as an addition.

Cheers

Chris
I'm talking about a UK manual for a car delivered early October - it has a couple of pages devoted to the TPMS towards the end of section 7

Mine was registered June 2014, manual is dated 2013, no mention of TPMS, should it be on this car do you think??

Cheers

Chris

Just been down to the dealer, evidently TPMS is not fitted to the current PHEV. We got the new handbook out, nothing.

Can anyone shed any light please??

Lyra252 said:
Mine was registered June 2014, manual is dated 2013, no mention of TPMS, should it be on this car do you think??

Cheers

Chris

Just been down to the dealer, evidently TPMS is not fitted to the current PHEV. We got the new handbook out, nothing.

Can anyone shed any light please??

Well it's described in my handbook (64 reg) and the TPMS warning light illuminates in the right-hand display when powering on, so something is going on :?

Having trawled round the internet this is now my understanding. As from 1st November all cars sold in EU must have a functioning TPMS, as must all cars with TPMS already fitted from before this. The Outlander almost certainly has the direct system fitted to other models. So if you change the wheels (or the grunts in the tyre shop bugger up the existing ones when changing the tyre) then you need working TPMS modules that the car can read. I don't think we can get the car to learn a new sensor ID so you either have to get the dealer to reprogram car or buy new "cloned" sensors - but you need the existing ids for this. :(

davec said:
Have also ordered Vred's for mine, should be arriving tomorrow. Had thought I would put them on the existing rims but I'm inclined to agree with gobiman regarding excessive changing, plus also the cost of 2 changes per year. I've found these well priced (for 18") alloy wheels that are winter rated http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/msw/19/silver/18-inch which I'm inclined to order. Our fleet insurer is Zurich and they have confirmed they have no problem with after-market alloys and winter tyres.

I notice these are 8J whereas the OEM wheels are 7J. Assuming 225/55/18 tyres will fit both doesn't the increased rim size reduce the overall inflated diameter (i.e. tyres slightly flatter)? Would this change the handling etc. and how does this play with insurers? :?

Might have to start a thread on TPMS!!

AUS shipped cars are all post MAY 2014. Mine was the first purchased at the local dealer and there is no mention of TPMS. Maybe we don't generally need winter tyres here, allows a distinction. Just another of the difficulties we forum members face in a global community with questions, and the cars we buy locally are a bit different. So many options in the manual are asterixed out in AUS and not available as any option, and TPMS is another that is not even optioned out and does not appear anywhere in an AUS manual. Luckily there are aftermarket products with similar and in many cases superior functions.

Will be looking hard for a TPMS symbol on the dash, even if there is no light.

greendwarf said:
davec said:
Have also ordered Vred's for mine, should be arriving tomorrow. Had thought I would put them on the existing rims but I'm inclined to agree with gobiman regarding excessive changing, plus also the cost of 2 changes per year. I've found these well priced (for 18") alloy wheels that are winter rated http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/msw/19/silver/18-inch which I'm inclined to order. Our fleet insurer is Zurich and they have confirmed they have no problem with after-market alloys and winter tyres.

I notice these are 8J whereas the OEM wheels are 7J. Assuming 225/55/18 tyres will fit both doesn't the increased rim size reduce the overall inflated diameter (i.e. tyres slightly flatter)? Would this change the handling etc. and how does this play with insurers? :?

Numerous wheel sites suggest that the 8J should fit the PHEV and I used this online calculator http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp which indicates that the overall tyre width doesn't actually increase. But as you've got me worried, I've checked another site http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator which indicates losing 14mm clearance to the strut and I've just put my hand behind my front tyre to see what the clearance is like and definitely would not want to reduce it by 14mm! Time to look again for some 7J rims..

gwatpe said:

The TPMS warning lamp on my UK GX3h is immediately to the right of the seatbelt warning lamp

The TPMS on my 64 plate has been warning me of low pressures since I got it last Tuesday. The warning typically went off after a few miles. I checked pressures on the weekend, each tyre was around 30 psi. So I inflated all to 34 psi, TPMS warning has stopped. There is barely a mention of TPMS in the manual though........

If you fit 8J you will get into trouble with snow chains....
Well, if you ever need/fit them. I have never felt the need.

davec said:
greendwarf said:
davec said:

Numerous wheel sites suggest that the 8J should fit the PHEV and I used this online calculator http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp which indicates that the overall tyre width doesn't actually increase. But as you've got me worried, I've checked another site http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator which indicates losing 14mm clearance to the strut and I've just put my hand behind my front tyre to see what the clearance is like and definitely would not want to reduce it by 14mm! Time to look again for some 7J rims..

gwatpe said:

The TPMS warning lamp on my UK GX3h is immediately to the right of the seatbelt warning lamp

Back