Outlander computer preventing full charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamDW

Mitsubishi are refusing to do a warranty diagnosis and/or computer reset when the fitters of my wall charger (Dynamic Motion and EO) have provided credible analysis of my wall charger’s performance to show that the car’s computer is performing inconsistently and seems to be shutting off the charge before the car battery is fully charged. I have had the same problem when charging at service stations, getting no more than 17 miles charge. I am currently not willing to pay £99 for a diagnosis when the Chesterfield Stoneacre Mitsubishi Dealership and Mitsubishi are being so unhelpful and not admitting to have come across the problem before. Has anyone else come across this problem and found a solution?

Whilst an overnight off-peak charge will often charge the battery to give a reading of between 26 and 30 miles charge, for around 60% of the time it will only add between 14 and 19 miles charge. My car has done just 8000 miles and this is not a declining battery with age, and I have eliminated other variables such as temperature variations, and made sure that there was no drain on the battery when assessing the charge achieved. The charger is an EM Mini Pro provided by Octopus, but not the source of the problem I believe.

My first hybrid and this problem does take the shine off the Outlander PHEV. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Graham

My first question is:

What is providing the 'reading' that estimates the distance added from the charge?

Are you referring to the guessometer built in to the car?

That is based on the average of the recent driving performed, and is very sensitive to things like air-conditioning, heating etc.

It tries to predict the range based on driver behaviour.

It is not a valid indicator of how much the battery has charged.

Or, are you saying that the car is indicating that the battery is not fully charged?
(i.e. a totally separate indicator on the display which shows the charge as a number of bars).

The next question:

Do you have any timers set? If you have a charging timer set, the car will disconnect when the timer is triggered.

Finally, have you tried charging with a mitsubishi supplied granny-charger?

If you're using a fast charger of any kind, the car will disconnect the charge at 80% of a full charge to protect the battery.

As pointed out you only get 80% from service station chargers. As you are in the UK, then are you still using the aircon? Because this knocks the available range by at least a third.

You say you have taken temperature into account (how?) but nothing about type of driving or topography - speed and hills are range killers!

Also, you say it has done only 8000 miles - with you? The reason I ask, is that battery age is defined by the number of charging cycles not the physical age of the car or distance travelled. So a car used only as an EV and regularly charged via rapid charges will show degradation in a relatively short period of time.

However, in the absence of more information, if the guessometer is predicting 26-30 miles but you are only getting less than 20 then it is more likely you using up the charge faster because of the above factors, than the car's electronics. :idea:

PS. Low actual mileage can be caused by sticking brake callipers - a known problem with the car.

Back