13 amp charging versus others

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rj00

Taking delivery of PHEV 4HS early August and really excited.

Unfortunately I failed the British Gas survey for a free charging unit - poor mobile signal and electrics out here in Suffolk.

Does anyone have experience changing from a 13 amp plug extension and how long this takes compared with a 16 amp charging unit?

Many thanks for help

Really helpful and many thanks for such a prompt reply.

I'll be buying a sealed electric box for extension lead and see how I get on.

Mitsubishi does warn against extension leads but that is liability-shifting nonsense. Extension leads, if they can take 13 A, are perfectly fine. I stole a sealing box from the Christmas gear.

I am also taking delivery in early August. I have an IP56 power outlet (13a) near my driveway. Is it possible to use the cable that comes with the PHEV with a 13a (protected) socket when it is raining ?

MattJam

Hopefully our vehicles are on a boat in a calm Bay of Biscay as we speak!!

jaapv said:
Mitsubishi does warn against extension leads but that is liability-shifting nonsense. Extension leads, if they can take 13 A, are perfectly fine. I stole a sealing box from the Christmas gear.

My car has been charging with an extension cord - it's actually a 10-15 amp convertor lead we use for our caravan - since I got it almost 2 weeks ago. So far, there has been nothing to sorry about...

I've done both - 3 and a bit hours from BG charger and around 5 from a domestic socket at my Mother's.
I bought the heaviest duty extension cable I could find on Amazon (with RCD) and used it with no problems.
Agree about all the health & safety nonsense talked - you just need to follow basic safety precautions and be careful in the rain (turn off at source before disconnecting).
Personally I wouldn't start charging in the rain but happy to leave it connected overnight.
Equally I wouldn't have a plug-in appliance in the bathroom connected whilst I was showering..

I'm picking my PHEV up on Thursday.

I've decided to clear the garage and charge in there rather than risk charging it in the rain.

I'll report back with my thoughts on the car once i've driven it a bit. I'm very much looking forward to driving it, though it will be something of a change from my current car V8 convertible (which will be sold to make way for the PHEV).

i normally use BG charger and its been fine in rain. (yes 3hrs from empty) At work I use the standard cable in a weatherproof 13A socket (agree 5 hours if empty but often I still have 25% remaining so full in c3.5hr), and yesterday I used the standard cable attached to an extension lead throught he letterbox at friends house http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-heavy-duty-extension-lead-rcd-1g-240v-15m/98422 (also at B&Q ) and shortly after plugging in we had an almighty rainshower which i missed as on the phone - all was absolutely fine.

Hope you enjoy your PHEV - its awesome. Now done 520 miles and only dipped into petrol twice (once for the last 10 miles of a 40 mile journey, the other time when "exploring the performance envelope"!). The other 510 all been on elec.

I went for this one - probably a little overspecced but liked the water protection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Extension-pressure-feature-electric/dp/B001EP4GG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407870624&sr=8-3&keywords=rcd+extension+cable

If British gas cannot connect you because you have no mobile phone signal, they can get exemption by writing to OLEV (office for Low Emission vehicles) and they will give permission to fit despite no signal. I got a company in Devon to fit the charge point, they got permission from OLEV within a week. See OLEV web site for details

gobiman said:
I went for this one - probably a little overspecced but liked the water protection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Extension-pressure-feature-electric/dp/B001EP4GG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407870624&sr=8-3&keywords=rcd+extension+cable

Like that, looks like a v sensible option. Good find.

Rj00 said:
Taking delivery of PHEV 4HS early August and really excited.

Unfortunately I failed the British Gas survey for a free charging unit - poor mobile signal and electrics out here in Suffolk.

Does anyone have experience changing from a 13 amp plug extension and how long this takes compared with a 16 amp charging unit?

Many thanks for help

Hi - just out of interest can you get an EE / Orange signal? If so you could have a free charging point fitted using an independent fitter using POD Point charging units that have an EE sim card fitted. Or are electrics the main issue?

gobiman said:
Personally I wouldn't start charging in the rain but happy to leave it connected overnight.

Clearly you don't live in Scotland.
There will be times that us poor damp souls up here will have no option but to start charging in the rain! :( :(

ferris72 said:
gobiman said:

Clearly you don't live in Scotland.
There will be times that us poor damp souls up here will have no option but to start charging in the rain! :( :(

You want the 13A socket to be protected from the rain - those plugs were never designed with water in mind - but the plug/socket on the car should not be a problem.

duetto said:
Why do you need a signal for a power lead to be fitted?

The charging points that the government are willing to subsidise are designed to send usage data back to a database via a mobile phone connection. They want this data to help give them some green credibility and it is a requirement that there must be a working mobile data connection if you are to get the subsidy. If there is no signal in your area, you can apply for an exemption - I don't know how often that is granted.

Back